The Student Room Group

Best Oxford college for me? (medicine)

Decided I’d like to apply and am looking for the following:

-Decent private:state school ratio (don’t mind as long as it’s not one of the worst ratios)
-Good BAME community (ideally including Muslims)
-Halal food
-Lots of formals (with gowns!!)
-Known for great events, balls, bops and anything else
-Proper kitchen facilities (eg a shared kitchen that has an oven)
-Guaranteed accommodation for as many years as poss + large rooms with ideally an en-suite (so i can make wudhu and pray)
-Central and close to medical teaching as well as the centre for islamic studies and the prayer building
-24/7 library access (or alternative room for study)

I know this is me being rly optimistic about what one single college might offer but just putting all my factors out there to give you a picture of what I am looking for in return for a few suggestions :smile:
Not picky about architecture but I think St Cats is a bit too modern for me so anything w moderately nice architecture and decent facilities, not too village halley on the inside. Thanks!
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maybemedic999
Decided I’d like to apply and am looking for the following:

-Decent private:state school ratio (don’t mind as long as it’s not one of the worst ratios)
-Good BAME community (ideally including Muslims)
-Halal food
-Lots of formals (with gowns!!)
-Known for great events, balls, bops and anything else
-Proper kitchen facilities (eg a shared kitchen that has an oven)
-Guaranteed accommodation for as many years as poss + large rooms with ideally an en-suite (so i can make wudhu and pray)
-Central and close to medical teaching as well as the centre for islamic studies and the prayer building
-24/7 library access (or alternative room for study)

I know this is me being rly optimistic about what one single college might offer but just putting all my factors out there to give you a picture of what I am looking for in return for a few suggestions :smile:
Not picky about architecture but I think St Cats is a bit too modern for me so anything w moderately nice architecture and decent facilities, not too village halley on the inside. Thanks!

So from what I can see, other than the ‘central’ aspect, St Anne’s is one of the best colleges suiting all your needs - good food, catering to needs, good accommodation and kitchens provided throughout, 24/7 library, being the biggest in Oxford. Architecture wise it’s modern but there’s older buildings within. There are lots of formals at Anne’s but I don’t think gowns are necessary, but you can always go to other gowned formals at other colleges. I think as far as the BAME community is represented in Oxford, St Anne’s is decent and has a good state school majority. I think the medical dept is near Keble (?) can’t be sure, and that’s probably 5 mins away from St Anne’s. The things is St Anne’s seems far out in the scale of Oxford, but realistically it’s not that far to walk
Original post by azby1098
So from what I can see, other than the ‘central’ aspect, St Anne’s is one of the best colleges suiting all your needs - good food, catering to needs, good accommodation and kitchens provided throughout, 24/7 library, being the biggest in Oxford. Architecture wise it’s modern but there’s older buildings within. There are lots of formals at Anne’s but I don’t think gowns are necessary, but you can always go to other gowned formals at other colleges. I think as far as the BAME community is represented in Oxford, St Anne’s is decent and has a good state school majority. I think the medical dept is near Keble (?) can’t be sure, and that’s probably 5 mins away from St Anne’s. The things is St Anne’s seems far out in the scale of Oxford, but realistically it’s not that far to walk

No ensuite in modern block - which is ugly.
Original post by Muttley79
No ensuite in modern block - which is ugly.

Before you make snarky comments, check your facts. Where there are religious or medical reasons for an ensuite, the college will provide one, even if it is not with the same block. St Anne’s has a majority ensuite rooms, so in picking the one example that doesn’t, you are presenting a warped representation of what is available. You will always struggle to find a college that ticks every box, life can’t always be perfect.
Before you make snarky comments, check your facts. Where there are religious or medical reasons for an ensuite, the college will provide one, even if it is not with the same block. St Anne’s has a majority ensuite rooms, so in picking the one example that doesn’t, you are presenting a warped representation of what is available. You will always struggle to find a college that ticks every box, life can’t always be perfect.

I've stayed in St Anne's - it's noisy and ugly. All the newest block in NOT ensuite.
I've stayed in St Anne's - it's noisy and ugly. All the newest block in NOT ensuite.

would you mind offering a constructive suggestion? too many people are yapping on tsr stressing me out. as i said, constructive comments only pls

thank you! I will look into it, did you go there? Do you have any other suggestions as well, 3-4 i could look into maybe? will be looking at Keble too :smile:
would you mind offering a constructive suggestion? too many people are yapping on tsr stressing me out. as i said, constructive comments only pls

Someone suggested St Anne's - it won't fit what you want ....I wasn't directly talking to you
thank you! I will look into it, did you go there? Do you have any other suggestions as well, 3-4 i could look into maybe? will be looking at Keble too :smile:

Keble is a fantastic college to be fair, kitchen access is limited until 3rd year - but otherwise fantastic
Reply 9

PRSOM! Also, yes, even if most freshers do not typically get ensuite rooms, you will be able to request one for religious reasons.

Apart from Keble and St Anne's, you might also want to look at Wadham, Univ and Worcester? They all have fairly good kitchen facilities, are closer to the medical school, have formals, and provide accommodation for all the years (though some of this is in their offsite accommodation), are generally thought to be better at supporting underrepresented students than some other colleges. Wadham is also known for being quite social. But yeah, those are just my suggestions!
As a note, most rooms do have a sink even if they don't have a full en-suite, which would make making wuhdu easier even if not as good as a bathroom? But I echo with religious requirements you should be able to request an en suite anyway.

This website is very good for choosing a college:

https://apply.oxfordsu.org/colleges/suggester/
Original post by Oxford Mum
Son is in fifth year medicine - he is at Oriel. That's nice, picturesque, ensuites etc.

Lots of formals, at least there were.

Balls - son is on organiser's board for next ball (in charge of food) even though it keeps getting cancelled.

Oriel is a fun place, and great for medicine!

Oriel is unfortunately going to have to be a hard pass for me considering their shenanigans w their slaveowner statues. I don't doubt that it's nice, picturesque etc but I'm definitely looking for somewhere less performative. Thanks anyways
I take your point.

Not very well apparently lol
To the point where I was seriously considering deleting my post.
Oriel is unfortunately going to have to be a hard pass for me considering their shenanigans w their slaveowner statues. I don't doubt that it's nice, picturesque etc but I'm definitely looking for somewhere less performative. Thanks anyways

I don't like to tell you this, but whether or not a college is willing to take down a statue is really not indicative of the experience you're going to have there, unless you have unreasonably strong feelings about statues.

As somebody who lived in the newest block for two years and had an ensuite, this is news to me...
(edited 2 years ago)
To the point where I was seriously considering deleting my post.

I appreciate that, thanks for considering - genuinely 👍
with all due respect it is pretty indicative of their attitudes. i don’t want to have to walk past the abhorrent image of a proud slaveowner and i don’t think it is unreasonable at all to want it taken down either.
it’s a statue of a slaveowner lol i think it’s disgusting that black students have to see and walk past it should they wish to study at Oriel therefore it is VERY indicative of the college’s attitudes, it isn’t irrational to want it down
with all due respect it is pretty indicative of their attitudes. i don’t want to have to walk past the abhorrent image of a proud slaveowner and i don’t think it is unreasonable at all to want it taken down either.

Good luck finding a college that agrees with you on that, then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending