Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am an older student from the US (NYC) who is planning on taking an MSc. in Informatics at either the U of Edin or the U of Sussex in order to change my career a bit. Any thoughts on the relative strengths and weaknesses of the MSc. in Informatics at the U of Edinburgh versus the one at the U of Sussex. How do employers respect each school and program? Any ideas which towns are better to live in (Brighton I guess for Sussex). I am married and my wife (who is a musician) will be joining me.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Besides Edinburgh and Sussex, which other uni's did you choose to study MSc Informatics? If you are deciding on other uni's I would put Manchester as one of your few choices.

I think employers would view both uni's as good. If I were an employer, obviously I would think Edinburgh is better.

If you don't want to live up north, as it's cold, don't choose Edinburgh. If you want to be near the sea side and not so cold, choose Sussex. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I have researched this quite a bit as I am planning on doing an undergraduate degree in Artificial Intelligence at Sussex this coming September. Both Sussex and Edinburgh are extremely strong in this area - I would say Edinburgh is more renowned worldwide but Sussex is equally strong in terms of research, teaching and links with industry. Edinburgh has the better reputation overall, but I doubt any employer would have any doubts about the quality of a masters degree from Sussex. In terms of the better place to live - Brighton is next to the sea, 40 minutes from London, has a very big music scene and generally lots going on. Edinburgh is an historic city with medieval architecture, probably one of, it not the most beautiful cities in the UK. The only drawback is that it's in Scotland :rolleyes:

Some useful links:

Edinburgh and Lothians Tourist Board
    Brighton Virtual City Guide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    Besides Edinburgh and Sussex, which other uni's did you choose to study MSc Informatics? If you are deciding on other uni's I would put Manchester as one of your few choices.

I think employers would view both uni's as good. If I were an employer, obviously I would think Edinburgh is better.

If you don't want to live up north, as it's cold, don't choose Edinburgh. If you want to be near the sea side and not so cold, choose Sussex. :p:
    Thanks for the response. I applied last year and had to defer a year. I only applied to Sussex and Edinburgh (and a school in Amsterdam). Both programs are set up so one does not need to have a CS background (my higher education was in Economics) , which is one reason I did not apply to any US programs - I am not interested in getting a proper CS degree.

Is one more respected in the UK and Europe? There are huge opportunity costs for me to come abroad to school so I would like my program to be both eduacational as well be well respected - the falling dollar is killing me.

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh will be repected in the UK and Europe more than Sussex.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 17, 2005

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.