Protein post workout

Watch this thread
LaraMari16
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hey, just wanted to know because I have heard a lot of conflicting opinions; is the whole "protein 30 minutes after a workout" thing true? Like is that little window of time to consume protein vital for muscle growth?
Lellyit00009
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
From my own knowledge, no because think of it this way, your body doesn’t know the timing that your getting the protein and it doesn’t work on a clock, all it knows is that it has received nutrients and will use it when it does. It kind of doesn’t matter how close to your workout you have your protein intake as long as it’s enough protein throughout your day. For example, if you had 30g protein after your workout but that is the only protein you had all day, then it won’t help build muscle whereas if you had the appropriate amount of protein for your body weight throughout the day regardless of the timing, then your body will have enough to utilise it and build muscle. Building a body your happy with is very fun and should be seen that way and not taken too seriously. If you start focusing on the timing of your food intake it might all get a bit overwhelming and seem more serious than it is. My advice would be to just try and add a little more protein in your meals/snacks as much as you can here and there and never worry about the tiny details as your body doesn’t understand the timing anyways so i wouldn’t stress yourself out. Good luck with the journey !
username5778314
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
The protein window is an old concept but not supported by research over the last decade.

Schoenfeld described it as more of a barn door than a window. A more comprehensive explanation can be found here.
elixirhtc
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Lellyit00009)
From my own knowledge, no because think of it this way, your body doesn’t know the timing that your getting the protein and it doesn’t work on a clock, all it knows is that it has received nutrients and will use it when it does. It kind of doesn’t matter how close to your workout you have your protein intake as long as it’s enough protein throughout your day. For example, if you had 30g protein after your workout but that is the only protein you had all day, then it won’t help build muscle whereas if you had the appropriate amount of protein for your body weight throughout the day regardless of the timing, then your body will have enough to utilise it and build muscle. Building a body your happy with is very fun and should be seen that way and not taken too seriously. If you start focusing on the timing of your food intake it might all get a bit overwhelming and seem more serious than it is. My advice would be to just try and add a little more protein in your meals/snacks as much as you can here and there and never worry about the tiny details as your body doesn’t understand the timing anyways so i wouldn’t stress yourself out. Good luck with the journey !
You discuss very important aspects of getting protein ...
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
In short I keep hearing its tosh really. As long as your body is getting its protein in decent meal sized chunks and times it's happy, this 30 min/golden hour stuff is BS
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by LaraMari16)
Hey, just wanted to know because I have heard a lot of conflicting opinions; is the whole "protein 30 minutes after a workout" thing true? Like is that little window of time to consume protein vital for muscle growth?
I don’t believe so. I do drink protein after workouts but it’s more just as it’s quite to refuel afterwards and the shakes are quite filling & refreshing (if cold).

I look at protein shakes as part of the diet rather then specifically to increase muscle gain, because I don’t believe it acts like that.

For me protein shakes are more about getting the right amount of daily protein. Although i do use a blend that also includes several minerals like BCAA & l-carnitine which are beneficial for muscle development but again I look at it from a dietary perspective, if you get it in your protein etc entirely in your daily food intake then it’s not necessary.
Last edited by mnot; 8 months ago
elixirhtc
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
I think the protein can work better if you need for your fitness form the desired health...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (68)
66.02%
No (26)
25.24%
I didn't use it to prepare (9)
8.74%

Watched Threads