Any advice for a levels and sixth form

Watch this thread
AlannahK09
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I’m starting sixth form and my a levels next week so any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated.
I’m quite anxious because I’m going to a college where I don’t know anyone at all.

Thank you
Squiggles1238
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
Hello!
starting 6th form/college can be a scary time for all, so just remember, everyone's in the same boat!
You start not knowing anyone, but its surprising how quickly you start getting to know people, and before you know it you're already making friends!
Just try not to panic, and instead see this as an opportunity! you've a fresh start where you can really put your head down and try your hardest in your A levels
SB1234567890
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
My main tips for A levels would be:
- use all your frees
- use a planner along with to do lists to help prioritise and balance tasks
- make revision resources as you learn the content
- use active recall and spaced repetition
What subjects are you taking?
Hope this helps
AlannahK09
Rep:
I’m taking psychology, sociology and law
SB1234567890
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by AlannahK09)
I’m taking psychology, sociology and law
I did psychology and sociology so if you have any questions or would like any tips about either I’m happy to answer them
Royal Agricultural University
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by AlannahK09)
I’m starting sixth form and my a levels next week so any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated.
I’m quite anxious because I’m going to a college where I don’t know anyone at all.

Thank you
Hello,

I have finished my a-levels and am now at uni, I also studied law and psychology. My best advice for you is to be organised from day 1, make sure all your notes are together and you make the most of any free periods. I know that it seems scary but try not to worry about making friends as it will happen naturally because you will be sat next to classmates who you will be able to talk to and most probably do activities with. Maybe take part in some extra activities/sports if you have some free time to make friends.

Hope this is helpful and good luck with your studying!

Lauren
Royal Agricultural University Rep
AlannahK09
Rep:
Thank you so much this was so helpful!!
jaxp
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by SB1234567890)
I did psychology and sociology so if you have any questions or would like any tips about either I’m happy to answer them
do you have any general advice for psychology?
SB1234567890
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by jaxp)
do you have any general advice for psychology?
My main advice would be:
- create active recall resources as you go along (I created quizlets with a card for each outline and another card for the evaluation points for each topic) then test yourself on them regularly
- fo research methods in particular (AQA), past papers are useful as the style of questioning is different from the other chapters but within the chapter the same sort of questions appear every year
- complete any optional essays and ask your teacher to mark them as you can improve your marks and technique in a short space of time
- for biopsychology, I found that diagrams were the best way for me to get my head around the content
Hope this helps
Cloudiii
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
If you are in a lesson and don't understand a topic make sure you ask for help! And if you still don't fully understand after it (I can not stress this enough), go home while it's still fresh in your mind and go over it until you do. And answer questions to test yourself to make sure that you got it. This is something I didn't do often and everything ended up piling at the end.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (132)
66.33%
No (45)
22.61%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.06%

Watched Threads