How to improve A-Level History grades?

Watch
losientolizzy
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi all!

For the past academic year, I have seen a decline in my history grades and i'm getting quite worried: I was always good at history at GCSE and received a 9 at the end of the year, and from the start to the middle of Year 12 I often received As and Bs in my topics. However, I have found that I am finding it increasingly harder to study for history, and as a result my grades have dropped drastically (e.g receiving Ds and in my end of
year exam getting an U on one of my papers).
For context, I study Royal Authority and the Angevin Kings 1154-1216 (AQA) as well as The Age of the Crusades 1071-1204 (AQA), and this year I will also be studying Protest, Agitation and Parliamentary Reform 1780-1928.
I was wondering if anybody had any advice on how to actually study for history? Many of my teachers have recommend mind-maps/spider diagrams and revision cards, yet they fail to really help out.
I don't really struggle with exam technique: I am most confident at essay writing - instead, I find it hard to retain key facts, figures, dates etc.

Any help is highly appreciated!! Many thanks
sophia0903
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
Hi! I also do A-level history and i'm going into year 13 and i am currently predicted an A* so hopefully some of my advice helps
I would say for each topic, make a set of flashcards of key dates, events and stats and put them onto Quizlet flashcards and try and test yourself on these at least twice a week to keep them in your mind. quizlet is definitely what i would recommend to retain facts because of the various methods of learning it has on there, such as games/interactive cards etc.
I also use mindmaps for key events, e.g; i study the cold war, so for a major event such as the cuban missile crisis, i'd summarise the reasons for the event, the events themselves, and the after effects of these events onto a mindmap, which really helps
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Recommended book that will help with essay/study/revision skills - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Studying-Hi...dp/1137478594/
BlueButterfly<3
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Hi, I'm not sure about how much help this will be to you as I haven't finished my A Level History course (I'm going into year 13 in September). But my problem is quite the opposite to you. I can retain facts but my essay skills need polishing. My advice is summarising your notes into timelines. After each topic make a timeline with dates and key facts for you to remember. It worked for me in my mocks as I remembered the layout in which I made these timelines (like I could see it in my head during the exam). This might be a revision method for you to try out, and if it doesn't work at least you've gone through the hole course which may jog your memory.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (78)
20.69%
Note taking apps (7)
1.86%
Flashcards (86)
22.81%
Revision guides (19)
5.04%
Past papers (172)
45.62%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (15)
3.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise