Do the people deciding to offer you a place or not see your personal details?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Like gender, ethnicity etc? For Oxbridge and other unis?
Anonymous #1
Also place of birth and other stuff like that?
Peterhouse Admissions
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
As someone who does the admin for Cambridge, I can explain a bit about what we do and don't see.

We receive your current address, country of ordinary residence for the past three years, nationality and country of birth as standard. The reason for this is so we can assess your fee status (whether you pay Home or Overseas fees) and can send you information by post if we need to. In practice these days, it's only a hard copy of offer letters, if that.

We also get told your gender as you've entered it at UCAS, but that's it for personal characteristics. We do get ethnicity information, but not until after the admissions process is complete and students have been admitted. This is more for monitoring purposes than anything else.

Cambridge asks applicants to complete Supplementary Application Questionnaire, which includes a photograph of applicants amongst other things. This is to help jog the memory of our Admissions Tutors and interviewers, as well as people like me. As we meet the majority of our applicants at interview, this doesn't really give us much information we wouldn't otherwise have.

All of the information I've mentioned is on the collated application form that all Admissions Tutors and interviewers see. I hope this helps!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Peterhouse Admissions)
As someone who does the admin for Cambridge, I can explain a bit about what we do and don't see.

We receive your current address, country of ordinary residence for the past three years, nationality and country of birth as standard. The reason for this is so we can assess your fee status (whether you pay Home or Overseas fees) and can send you information by post if we need to. In practice these days, it's only a hard copy of offer letters, if that.

We also get told your gender as you've entered it at UCAS, but that's it for personal characteristics. We do get ethnicity information, but not until after the admissions process is complete and students have been admitted. This is more for monitoring purposes than anything else.

Cambridge asks applicants to complete Supplementary Application Questionnaire, which includes a photograph of applicants amongst other things. This is to help jog the memory of our Admissions Tutors and interviewers, as well as people like me. As we meet the majority of our applicants at interview, this doesn't really give us much information we wouldn't otherwise have.

All of the information I've mentioned is on the collated application form that all Admissions Tutors and interviewers see. I hope this helps!
Thanks so much!
Quick question, about the gender...what do you mean by "personal characteristics"?
And since I've lived in the UK for more than 9 years does that make me eligible for home fee? Thanks...just wondering how they determine this
Peterhouse Admissions
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thanks so much!
Quick question, about the gender...what do you mean by "personal characteristics"?
And since I've lived in the UK for more than 9 years does that make me eligible for home fee? Thanks...just wondering how they determine this
I can't answer the question about Home Fees solely with this information, I'm afraid. The best place to look is UKCISA.

In terms of personal characteristics, I mean things like ethnicity, sexuality and religious belief. These are all things that are in section 2 of the UCAS application (according to this printed form). These factors have no bearing on your application. We get information on gender to avoid misgendering applicants in written correspondence and in person if we meet them and information on nationality etc. to help us determine Fee Status.

Hope this helps!
Anonymous #1
I can't answer the question about Home Fees solely with this information, I'm afraid. The best place to look is UKCISA.

In terms of personal characteristics, I mean things like ethnicity, sexuality and religious belief. These are all things that are in section 2 of the UCAS application (according to this printed form). These factors have no bearing on your application. We get information on gender to avoid misgendering applicants in written correspondence and in person if we meet them and information on nationality etc. to help us determine Fee Status.

Hope this helps!
Thanks sm
Anonymous #1

Hope this helps!
Hey! Does your Fee status affect your chances of getting in?
Am i less likely tot get in if I'm paying international fees?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (22)
30.99%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (26)
36.62%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (5)
7.04%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
4.23%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
5.63%
I’m starting to consider my university options (9)
12.68%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.41%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.41%

Watched Threads