The Student Room Group

Friend got good GCSE but couldnt be bothered to do anything in enrollment day

Basically he didnt get any conditional offers and he didnt even enroll anywhere cuz he couldnt be bothered. Now hes depressed and he has no college to go to and he cant do any a levels. What should he do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
he could try ringing some colleges or sixth forms up and ask about spare places
Has he checked every college in his area for application deadlines? Every college is different.
Reply 3
Original post by 273544
he could try ringing some colleges or sixth forms up and ask about spare places

he has autism and is too anxious to do that
Original post by NemesisVIG

Has he checked online via college websites?

Could you help him?
Reply 6
Original post by studygirl388
Has he checked online via college websites?

hes toooo depressed to do that, whatever i tell him to do he doesnt do it. if he would have listened to me he would be in newham college rn, ive spent hours on him and only now has he realised his mistakes
hes toooo depressed to do that, whatever i tell him to do he doesnt do it. if he would have listened to me he would be in newham college rn, ive spent hours on him and only now has he realised his mistakes

It seems like he's really struggling then. Is there any way you could help him, or one of his family members?
Reply 8
Original post by Vapordave
Could you help him?

idk how rn tbh, im too busy to call up myself as im getting prepared for a levels and there is literally 4 days left, what should i do?
It seems like he's really struggling then. Is there any way you could help him, or one of his family members?
idk how rn tbh, im too busy to call up myself as im getting prepared for a levels and there is literally 4 days left, what should i do?

I understand you have priorities but it takes a few minutes out of your day to ring up. This guy clearly can't do it himself and this is his future.

If you really don't have time, then is there nobody else? Even one of your family members that could ring up just to ask if there are any spare places available whilst explaining the situation?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 10

did you go to the same secondary school? and are you going to continue your a level studies there and would he feel comfortable going there for a level too? because if so you could try telling a trusted teacher what is happening and ask if they would be willing to give him a space or help him out
Original post by 273544
did you go to the same secondary school? and are you going to continue your a level studies there and would he feel comfortable going there for a level too? because if so you could try telling a trusted teacher what is happening and ask if they would be willing to give him a space or help him out

ye we did, he doesnt wanna go there but in the end of the day its much better
If he really doesn't want to go there, and there's no possibility of him going elsewhere, then maybe he'll just have to wait a year and apply next time.

Have you spoken to him and asked how he feels about waiting a year?

he doesnt give a **** about anything. he just likes videogames. I am going to LAE stratford but the thing is that he didnt get a high enough maths grade to go there as hes done foundation maths
Basically he didnt get any conditional offers and he didnt even enroll anywhere cuz he couldnt be bothered. Now hes depressed and he has no college to go to and he cant do any a levels. What should he do?

There is something called the 'September guarantee' which ensures all students can find something. You need to talk to your LA - is your friend well enough to start school in September?
Reply 14
If he really doesn't want to go there, and there's no possibility of him going elsewhere, then maybe he'll just have to wait a year and apply next time.

Have you spoken to him and asked how he feels about waiting a year?

im not sure if that would work as you legally have to be in some type of education from 16 to 18 whenever it's an apprenticeship, college, sixth form, etc but it might be worth trying it out
Reply 15
What are his parents doing?? It's the parents job to help the kid, esp if he can't really do it himself and is autistic
Original post by Slx.24
What are his parents doing?? It's the parents job to help the kid, esp if he can't really do it himself and is autistic

his dad is a muslim fundementalist that doesnt believe in western education. his mum doesnt give a **** about him and does her own stuff
wait correction..i just found out he has a place in a college called elatt which is **** and he has to do btec even though he got very good grades
Reply 18
his dad is a muslim fundementalist that doesnt believe in western education. his mum doesnt give a **** about him and does her own stuff

My parents (and me) are both muslim and still try to keep educated. Such a sad situation this guy has :/
Jeez he really is in a sticky situation huh. I'm quite annoyed at the mum in any case 😤
Maybe you will have to call some colleges up, I'm very sure it wont take long, all the times I've called my 6th form up with questions they all took like 3 mins max.
Reply 19
wait correction..i just found out he has a place in a college called elatt which is **** and he has to do btec even though he got very good grades

I recall you saying he did foundation? Pretty sure grades cap out at a C(5) so you can't do A lvls in many places right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending