The Student Room Group

moving right before gcses HELP

my parents have decided to move right before my GCSEs and I'm so scared as it may affect my grades so give me any advice or tricks which could help me
Original post by ayeshar0025
my parents have decided to move right before my GCSEs and I'm so scared as it may affect my grades so give me any advice or tricks which could help me

What year are you in? Ive moved in year 10 and year 11 so i can give you tips accordingly :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by meymey:)
What year are you in? Ive moved in year 10 and year 11 so i can give you tips accordingly :smile:

im moving at the start f yr 11 right before my health and social btec exam
im moving at the start f yr 11 right before my health and social btec exam

Are your subjects the same? and if the subjects are the same are their any exam board differences?
Reply 4
Are your subjects the same? and if the subjects are the same are their any exam board differences?

i dont know about the exam boards but the subjects are the same
i dont know about the exam boards but the subjects are the same

Firstly i would advise that u find out about the exam boards. Cover anything that you have missed that everyone at your new school knows. For example in english lit there are different novels and it could be that ur new school is doing a different one. That is a big gap so u need to work to cover those gaps (don't leave it last minute like i did)

Make sure to develop an understanding with your new teachers. This is really important so u make the most of them and don't be shy to ask for their help. Sometimes the advice the teachers give you in regards to how to answer questions is really useful and u won't be able to get the same help if your just revising by yourself. And this one is really basic but focus and participate in lessons. As for the past 2 years GCSEs have been teacher assessed its important that your new teachers know your abilities and capabilities.

Thirdly, work on your revision methods. Year 11 will mainly consist of revising and its important that you understand how you learn (if you don't already know) Try different methods like flashcards, notes, highlighting, explaining to someone or reading over.

The most important method which i basically relied on for my exams is past papers. Literally just do as many past papers and exam questions as u can and get feedback from ur teachers. Then use that feedback to improve for the next exam questions u do. This way u can start to raise your results as well. And check out the examiners report on the website of whichever exam board ur doing and read through that. Usually in an examiners report there is mistakes that other students made in GCSE exams so u can make sure u don't make those mistakes as well when it comes to your exams.

If there is something u don't understand while doing a recap then watch youtube videos (there are literally so many and they are so helpful) or ask a teacher. And if you need motivation then there are many youtubers who talk about GCSEs and do exam helps (my favourite was Unjaded jade u should check her out if u haven't already)

Lastly, belive in yourself. I know you can do it, u have plenty of time left just use it effectively and don't waste time stressing (trust me u can save a lot of time for revision this way) I completely understand your situation as i moved twice in such a crucial time and barely had any online classes and taught myself most of the curriculum. My results depended on the mocks we were doing (as the teachers barely had any other work from me as i was new) and i only knew like half the curriculum a week before the mocks and i crammed in so much revision in such a short time. I ended up with 8s and 9s tho so trust me u still have a lot more time and i know people make GCSEs sound very difficult (which they are) however if you revise effectively its not as impossible as people make them sound. I know it can all seem intimidating and overwhelming but you'll ace them!! :smile: don't worry xx
Reply 6
Firstly i would advise that u find out about the exam boards. Cover anything that you have missed that everyone at your new school knows. For example in english lit there are different novels and it could be that ur new school is doing a different one. That is a big gap so u need to work to cover those gaps (don't leave it last minute like i did)

Make sure to develop an understanding with your new teachers. This is really important so u make the most of them and don't be shy to ask for their help. Sometimes the advice the teachers give you in regards to how to answer questions is really useful and u won't be able to get the same help if your just revising by yourself. And this one is really basic but focus and participate in lessons. As for the past 2 years GCSEs have been teacher assessed its important that your new teachers know your abilities and capabilities.

Thirdly, work on your revision methods. Year 11 will mainly consist of revising and its important that you understand how you learn (if you don't already know) Try different methods like flashcards, notes, highlighting, explaining to someone or reading over.

The most important method which i basically relied on for my exams is past papers. Literally just do as many past papers and exam questions as u can and get feedback from ur teachers. Then use that feedback to improve for the next exam questions u do. This way u can start to raise your results as well. And check out the examiners report on the website of whichever exam board ur doing and read through that. Usually in an examiners report there is mistakes that other students made in GCSE exams so u can make sure u don't make those mistakes as well when it comes to your exams.

If there is something u don't understand while doing a recap then watch youtube videos (there are literally so many and they are so helpful) or ask a teacher. And if you need motivation then there are many youtubers who talk about GCSEs and do exam helps (my favourite was Unjaded jade u should check her out if u haven't already)

Lastly, belive in yourself. I know you can do it, u have plenty of time left just use it effectively and don't waste time stressing (trust me u can save a lot of time for revision this way) I completely understand your situation as i moved twice in such a crucial time and barely had any online classes and taught myself most of the curriculum. My results depended on the mocks we were doing (as the teachers barely had any other work from me as i was new) and i only knew like half the curriculum a week before the mocks and i crammed in so much revision in such a short time. I ended up with 8s and 9s tho so trust me u still have a lot more time and i know people make GCSEs sound very difficult (which they are) however if you revise effectively its not as impossible as people make them sound. I know it can all seem intimidating and overwhelming but you'll ace them!! :smile: don't worry xx

than you so much this will really help me thank you once again
than you so much this will really help me thank you once again

ur welcome. glad to help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest