Thanquinho
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Name:  20210828_190455-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 28
Size:  57.3 KB
Name:  20210828_190527-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 20
Size:  59.4 KB

I need help on part 2.4
I am not sure what to write and not entirely sure about the explanation behind it.
Last edited by Thanquinho; 3 months ago
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Did you derive any equations for the force on the parachute that involved the density of the gas the parachute was moving through in the omitted sections?
Thanquinho
Rep:
(Original post by Joinedup)
Did you derive any equations for the force on the parachute that involved the density of the gas the parachute was moving through in the omitted sections?
Nope, section 2.3 asked to find the acceleration due to gravity when 2.2*10^5 J of kinetic energy is lost through a vertical distance of 49m. It also says during this time, 3.3*10^5 J of energy is transferred from the system to the atmosphere, and the total mass of the system is 610 kg.
So I did mgh = 2.2*10^5
Rearranged the equation to get g as 7.4m/s^2. That's for 2.3

2.4 just asks me to explain what would happen if there is an increase in dust content in the atmosphere.
Joinedup
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Thanquinho)
Nope, section 2.3 asked to find the acceleration due to gravity when 2.2*10^5 J of kinetic energy is lost through a vertical distance of 49m. It also says during this time, 3.3*10^5 J of energy is transferred from the system to the atmosphere, and the total mass of the system is 610 kg.
So I did mgh = 2.2*10^5
Rearranged the equation to get g as 7.4m/s^2. That's for 2.3

2.4 just asks me to explain what would happen if there is an increase in dust content in the atmosphere.
You'll have to try make 3 points that follow from the suspended dust increasing the density of the atmosphere...

assuming the same size parachute and initial speed, the mass of atmosphere displaced per unit time is [increased / decreased/unchanged]*
causing the tension in the parachute cords to be [greater than/lesser than/the same as]* in the original atmosphere
with the result that the deceleration is [larger/smaller/no different]*

*delete as applicable
Thanquinho
Rep:
(Original post by Joinedup)
You'll have to try make 3 points that follow from the suspended dust increasing the density of the atmosphere...

assuming the same size parachute and initial speed, the mass of atmosphere displaced per unit time is [increased / decreased/unchanged]*
causing the tension in the parachute cords to be [greater than/lesser than/the same as]* in the original atmosphere
with the result that the deceleration is [larger/smaller/no different]*

*delete as applicable
I am still not sure if the dust increasing the density of the atmoshpere will result in a bigger or smaller deceleration of the system and why that happens.

Will the system have a greater deceleration because dust is more dense and has more mass and due to Newtons 2nd law F = ma an increase in mass and constant force will result in smaller acceleration towards the ground therefore the system has a greater deceleration? Or how would I explain that displacing the gas+dust in the atmosphere will have a greater force acting in the opposite direction of the direction of travel than just displacing the gas using Newtons laws of motion?
Joinedup
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
The gas of the atmosphere has to move to let the parachute move through it... If the atmosphere has more mass it means more work done.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.44%
Okay (114)
29.08%
A bit lacking (149)
38.01%
Not good at all (92)
23.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed