The Student Room Group

Giving Notice

Soo i've been working somewhere for a month and have been given a much better job offer. Better opportunities, much better pay, potential to work from home once a week etc. I definitely want to take it and based on my contract I am still in the probation period so don't technically have to give any notice at my current job. However I wanted to give them a week just to be nice and soften the blow of them spending a month training me just for me to leave.
I've just come to discover that my manager is on annual leave for the whole of next week so I can't give in my notice to her. That was fine as I decided I would just tell her manager but I have just found out that his wife died this morning and so he will be on bereavement leave for a while. Now i'm in a really sticky situation because I can either
- Wait for her to come back from annual leave and leave without notice..
- Or call her during her annual leave and tell her i'm leaving even though she told everyone not to contact her while she is off.

My new job have said they can't delay my start as they would have to redo all the documents and get all the partners to sign them again. So i have to start on September 7th.

I'm just really stressed because i've had to give notice once before but never in such an awkward situation. Any advice?
Don’t call her during her annual leave.
There is presumably someone you’re reporting to in this instance. Can you not hand it in to them?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by GabiAbi84
Don’t call her during her annual leave.
There is presumably someone you’re reporting to in this instance. Can you not hand it in to them?

it's a small company, only 9 people work here so i'm not reporting to anyone.
Original post by stephsmhb
it's a small company, only 9 people work here so i'm not reporting to anyone.

Then who’s in charge whilst both of your managers are off?
Reply 4
No one. My manager's manager (head of the firm) wasnt meant to be off, it was quite sudden, so he would have been in charge. The job I do doesnt really require reporting to anyone though so there doesnt really need to be anyone in charge.
Reply 5
Give it to any manager in the company or email it to your manager even though they are on holiday
Soo i've been working somewhere for a month and have been given a much better job offer. Better opportunities, much better pay, potential to work from home once a week etc. I definitely want to take it and based on my contract I am still in the probation period so don't technically have to give any notice at my current job. However I wanted to give them a week just to be nice and soften the blow of them spending a month training me just for me to leave.
I've just come to discover that my manager is on annual leave for the whole of next week so I can't give in my notice to her. That was fine as I decided I would just tell her manager but I have just found out that his wife died this morning and so he will be on bereavement leave for a while. Now i'm in a really sticky situation because I can either
- Wait for her to come back from annual leave and leave without notice..
- Or call her during her annual leave and tell her i'm leaving even though she told everyone not to contact her while she is off.

My new job have said they can't delay my start as they would have to redo all the documents and get all the partners to sign them again. So i have to start on September 7th.

I'm just really stressed because i've had to give notice once before but never in such an awkward situation. Any advice?

If possible email to your manager. At least then they will get your notice. And you aren't pissing them off by phoning them during their annual leave, especially as it's not the best news for them (no one really wants their staff to leave).
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Emma:-)
If possible email to your manager. At least then they will get your notice. And you aren't pissing them off by phoning them during their annual leave, especially as it's not the best news for them (no one really wants their staff to leave).

I was thinking this but she probably wont be checking her email
I was thinking this but she probably wont be checking her email

I'd email her anyway, just so she knows your leaving and has it in writing. And so you can say you gave some sort of notice (it's not your fault that there is no one there in charge).
I'd write a handwritten note as well. And leave it on the managers desk/in the managers office/wherever.

Quick Reply