The Current Year 12 Chat Thread (2021-2022)

Watch this thread
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by gasgasgas)
can I talk on here even though I'm doing BTECs ?
Yes, of course
RazzzBerries
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 months ago
Best of luck new Year 12s :hugs:
gasgasgas
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Lemur14)
Yes, of course
yayyy then let me introduce myself

Introduce yourself!
My name is gasgasgas I'm 16 and will be going to a sixth form college
What subjects are you taking this year? (be sure to include exam board)
I will be taking pearson BTEC extended diploma in Applied science

What made you interested in studying these subjects?
during school I figured that I really enjoyed doing the practicals in school (especially in chemistry) I feel I am more of a practical learner so by doing a BTEC I feel as though I'll do way better in this compared to doing A-levels and not enjoying/ failing all the exams
What do you want to do as a career In the future? What are your dreams, your aspirations, your goals?
I would love to work in a lab but work for the NHS as well and being a Biomedical scientist seem to tick the boxes
How are you feeling about starting Year 12?
very nervous TBH but excited to become a new version of myself
Any plans after Sixth Form? Have your eyes set on a particular company or university?
Biomedical science or Biochemistry at University
… and now, anything about you! (fun facts, hobbies, or anything else you want to share!)
umm well I like art but couldn't do it for GCSEs as it was hard (specifically crocheting)
Last edited by gasgasgas; 11 months ago
Pa0703
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Introduce yourself!

What subjects are you taking this year? A level Biology (OCR A), A level Chemistry (OCR A), A level Maths (AQA)

What made you interested in studying these subjects? I have always loved maths and sciences, it's where I flourish the most.

What do you want to do as a career In the future? What are your dreams, your aspirations, your goals? I'm hoping to do Medicine at Oxford University (I know!) It's a massive ambition but I'm going to continue to work extremely hard and hopefully I'll get there. And then hopefully I would like to train to become a Paediatrician (I'm not 100% on this yet)

How are you feeling about starting Year 12? Nervous and excited. I'm excited to go into year 12 to meet new people, teachers and finally be able to study the subjects I'm passionate about but I'm nervous and a bit worried about going into the unknown (did not mean to quote frozen haha)

Any plans after Sixth Form? Have your eyes set on a particular company or university? Medicine at Oxford University :eek:

… and now, anything about you! (fun facts, hobbies, or anything else you want to share!)

I love to sing, dance and act. I was meant to get my diploma in musical theatre this year (but a pandemic happened). I sing and dance at many events in and out of school (pre Covid). For 7 years I've been a mental health ambassador at my school(s) and I recently completed a 6 month course in order to support others with mental health. I've struggled a lot with my own mental health and wanted to give others the support I wish I had. I'm also trained in first aid. I'm good at giving advice and I'm always here for every single one of you! If you ever need any advice, motivation, reassurance or just some kind words let me know!

I'm also good at explaining things so If you ever need an alternative way to understand something I'm always happy to help.

Apart from that I love baking, cooking and playing the piano. I can also knit an crochet. I'm also currently learning to speak German. I've been learning to speak French for 6 years too.

I have a little sister who has down syndrome and autism who is 14 who I absolutely adore. I also have a (very annoying) brother who is 10.

I was born in Germany!

I also love going out - I'm a real extrovert and a social person.

I love going on holiday! Especially to Europe (Covid )

People usually describe me as Bubbly, Fun, Ambitious, Kind and Funny. (This is honestly such a massive compliment- idk if it's true but I'll take their word for it!)

I spent most of my childhood in the hospital due to my severe asthma. I'm a lot better now but it's still pretty bad. (I had to shield for 9 months during the pandemic- I honestly don't know how I did it) I'm really proud of everything I've achieved, a lot of these things I could have never dreamt of doing a few years ago.

Whatever any of you guys need, I'll always be here for you. It's been a rough couple of years and we are all so incredibly strong, resilient and courageous for making it to year 12.

I have faith that we are all going to smash it! Like I said if you ever need any help let me know! x
AimPerfectly
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Hi, my name is Prince, I'm going to LAE Tottenham. I hope I can find anyone else on TSR also going.
I'm going to be taking A-level Edexcel Maths, Edexcel Further Maths, OCR Computer Science and OCR Physics.
I've always liked and enjoyed Maths and I have a passion to do Computer Science as a career so yeah. I just picked physics because it fits so well with my other A-levels and i'm being forced to do 4 A-levels xD
I would like to do something relating to cs but right now it seems like a software engineer would be particularly interesting as I'm enjoying coding atm.
I'm excited to start Year 12 at a new school with a new environment, and *hopefully* can make some new friends.
For university, I've done way more research than I should've but here's my current top 5: Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Southampton, Birmingham. I'm also considering Loughborough, Nottingham, Manchester, KCL and York. I want to study Computer Science.
Last edited by AimPerfectly; 11 months ago
pk027
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Chem, Bio and Economics (all AQA)
science is my fave subject but i hate physics
What do you want to do as a career In the future? What are your dreams, your aspirations, your goals?
pharmacology or biochemistry for the NHS - something like in a lab but related to medicine
just excited
Any plans after Sixth Form? Have your eyes set on a particular company or university?
one of the life or biological sciences in uni, maybe look into the NHS STP
Last edited by pk027; 11 months ago
kolme
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Not at all ready to spend large reserves of energy on making new relationships with people. I wish I wasn't so avoidant, it's gonna be tough.
IbbyIbs
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
My introduction

name IbbyIbs
subjects A-Level Biology (OCR), Chemistry (AQA) and Product Design (AQA)

why did I.choose.these subjects
Biology and Chemistry, I have been so.insterested in them since whenever.i started to.study Science.
Product design, bio and Chem is full.on theory and content so.product design is my way of letting out creativity.

my aspirations
I.want to study biological Science (idk what uni)
I want to become somewhere in the educational sector just don't know what job.

I am studying at a school (not mentioning name) in London.
IbbyIbs
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Can I have help from anyone who is studying bio and chem? Pls
unknownm123
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Pa0703)
Introduce yourself!

What subjects are you taking this year? A level Biology (OCR A), A level Chemistry (OCR A), A level Maths (AQA)

What made you interested in studying these subjects? I have always loved maths and sciences, it's where I flourish the most.

What do you want to do as a career In the future? What are your dreams, your aspirations, your goals? I'm hoping to do Medicine at Oxford University (I know!) It's a massive ambition but I'm going to continue to work extremely hard and hopefully I'll get there. And then hopefully I would like to train to become a Paediatrician (I'm not 100% on this yet)

How are you feeling about starting Year 12? Nervous and excited. I'm excited to go into year 12 to meet new people, teachers and finally be able to study the subjects I'm passionate about but I'm nervous and a bit worried about going into the unknown (did not mean to quote frozen haha)

Any plans after Sixth Form? Have your eyes set on a particular company or university? Medicine at Oxford University :eek:

I love to sing, dance and act. I was meant to get my diploma in musical theatre this year (but a pandemic happened). I sing and dance at many events in and out of school (pre Covid). For 7 years I've been a mental health ambassador at my school(s) and I recently completed a 6 month course in order to support others with mental health. I've struggled a lot with my own mental health and wanted to give others the support I wish I had. I'm also trained in first aid. I'm good at giving advice and I'm always here for every single one of you! If you ever need any advice, motivation, reassurance or just some kind words let me know!

I'm also good at explaining things so If you ever need an alternative way to understand something I'm always happy to help.

Apart from that I love baking, cooking and playing the piano. I can also knit an crochet. I'm also currently learning to speak German. I've been learning to speak French for 6 years too.

I have a little sister who has down syndrome and autism who is 14 who I absolutely adore. I also have a (very annoying) brother who is 10.

I was born in Germany!

People usually describe me as Bubbly, Fun, Ambitious, Kind and Funny. (This is honestly such a massive compliment- idk if it's true but I'll take their word for it!)

I spent most of my childhood in the hospital due to my severe asthma. I'm a lot better now but it's still pretty bad. (I had to shield for 9 months during the pandemic- I honestly don't know how I did it) I'm really proud of everything I've achieved, a lot of these things I could have never dreamt of doing a few years ago.

Whatever any of you guys need, I'll always be here for you. It's been a rough couple of years and we are all so incredibly strong, resilient and courageous for making it to year 12.

I have faith that we are all going to smash it! Like I said if you ever need any help let me know! x
I’m doing same a levels same spec as you I’m nervous because of every single person saying how hard they are. I looked at an as maths paper didn’t understand one single thinf
vapordave
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by risette)
Icebreakers :shakehand:
Some of us may know each other from last years forum, but as with every new year, there will be a new influx of TSR members, so it's time to introduce yourselves and meet some new friends!
  • Introduce yourself!
  • What subjects are you taking this year? (be sure to include exam board)
  • What made you interested in studying these subjects?
  • What do you want to do as a career In the future? What are your dreams, your aspirations, your goals?
  • How are you feeling about starting Year 12?
  • Any plans after Sixth Form? Have your eyes set on a particular company or university?
  • … and now, anything about you! (fun facts, hobbies, or anything else you want to share!)
Hi I'm David and I'm starting at a sixth form college next week.

I am taking:
Maths (Edexcel)
Physics A (OCR)
Chemistry (OCR) (will probably change to Further Maths)
Computer Science (AQA)

Maths, Physics and Computer Science are good choices for the industry I want to eventually go into (IT) and I have no idea why I let the college convince me to do Chemistry :lol:

I want to do a Computer Science degree then go into the more IT/systems management side of the tech industry (software development doesn't really interest me) I've had a lot of dream careers but I settled on doing something that I like and has good financial prospects. That way I have the freedom to do other things I like

I'm feeling slightly apprehensive about starting Year 12. I'm going into an A-level that I don't necessarily love and I'm a bit worried about making friends and coping with the workload.

I'd like to go to a good uni with good extracurriculars and that will allow me to study humanities type things (so Oxford or MIT) then work/live in London for a few years

I love languages and linguistics (I speak three other languages to different degrees) and I also play the violin
Flobro
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Hi, I'm Flo. I'm taking:

Maths (Edexcel)
Further Maths (Edexcel)
Physics (Edexcel)
Chemistry (OCR B)

I've always enjoyed maths and sciences, and I'd say they're my strongest subjects, so that's how I picked these as my a levels. I'm not really sure what I'd like to do career-wise, but I want to go to uni after sixth form and do a science or engineering based degree. I'm definitely excited to start year 12, learn more about my subjects and meet some new people, but a little nervous too as I've heard how much work a levels are and I think it's going to be a bit challenging to begin with.

Good luck everyone, we've got this!

I also made a gyg if anyone wants to check it out:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=7087356
streamfionapple
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
anyone know how many hours a week per subject you're getting?? I got my timetable and it looks like I'm only doing 4 hours a week for chemistry physics and maths? my sister went to the same school and got 7 hours a week per subject, kinda confused
warwanhwarh22
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Introduce yourself!
i am warwanhwarh22
bio, chem, maths aqa
money
doctor
confident
oxbridge

i got all grade 9s/distinction *, got a very bright future and im probably the smartest and humblest person on this website
-thanks
Esme9812
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Heyo, I'm Esme (She / Her)
Subjects:
- Biology (AQA)
- Chemistry (AQA)
- Further Maths (AQA)
- Maths (AQA)

I chose biology because I love biology. I also find maths really fun and chemistry compliments maths and biology well and I enjoy it.
What do you want to do as a career In the future? What are your dreams, your aspirations, your goals? Not too sure yet about a career. It would most likely be something to do with biology and research.
How are you feeling about starting Year 12? I've run out of shows to watch on Netflix so I'm happy to have something else to do, but I'm so nervous because we haven't been in school since the end of May.
Any plans after Sixth Form? Have your eyes set on a particular company or university? I hope to go to university to study biology.
… and now, anything about you! (fun facts, hobbies, or anything else you want to share!) I enjoy hiking (especially in the lake district) and I sadly like to spend a lot of time revising because it makes me less stressed.
millie742
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
hi! im millie
subjects
-maths (edexcel)
-textiles (aqa)
-environmental science (aqa)
its a weird mix but these are the things i enjoy
ive always knew i was gonna do maths its the thing i just love and im pretty proud i got an 8 at gcse when my teacher thought i would be getting a 6 before mocks.
and then i like textiles and im interesting in the environment so environmental science felt like the way to go and im glad the course as changed to be more science based compared to previously.
in the future i think i want to go into sustainable fashion but im not really sure yet.
im pretty excited to start yr12. i can't wait to meet new people and learn things i actually like so it should be alright if i keep up with the work. the summer work is already a lot
at the moment im interested in learning about sustainable fashion and just did an online course with ual. i like fashion and styling but also reading.
Last edited by millie742; 11 months ago
Mentor05
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Pa0703)
Introduce yourself!

I was born in Germany!

This is the exact same as me! I'll definitely stay in touch. #OxfordMed2024
Pa0703
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by unknownm123)
I’m doing same a levels same spec as you I’m nervous because of every single person saying how hard they are. I looked at an as maths paper didn’t understand one single thinf
Yeah same, but don’t let people put you off. No A level is easy and everyone’s experience of A levels is different. You may find Biology to be your easiest subject whereas it may be my hardest. And I may find Chemistry to be my easiest subject and you may find that to be your hardest. It’s different for everyone. It’s alright if you don’t understand an AS paper right now, that’s the whole point of sixth form/college. Your teachers will teach you everything you need to know. It’s like looking at a GCSE paper in year 8/9 and then looking at it now. I’m really nervous about doing these A levels too but I believe that if we try our hardest and take everything step by step hopefully we’ll be fine 😊x
Pa0703
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Mentor05)
This is the exact same as me! I'll definitely stay in touch. #OxfordMed2024
2023? 🤞 Either way I have faith we’ll get there! Will definitely stay in touch!
evieher
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Hi, I'm Evie (she/her) and I'm doing Physics, Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry (all WJEC) so I can study a Physics or Astrophysics course at uni. I'm slightly nervous about starting sixth form but I'm looking forward to studying what I actually want to study. Other than school, my personal interests essentially start and end with fiction podcasts, though I have just started crocheting!
Last edited by evieher; 11 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (29)
18.47%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (40)
25.48%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (81)
51.59%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.46%

Watched Threads