The Current Year 12 Chat Thread (2021-2022)

Watch this thread
nightingalegend
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by risette)
Icebreakers :shakehand:
Some of us may know each other from last years forum, but as with every new year, there will be a new influx of TSR members, so it's time to introduce yourselves and meet some new friends!
  • Introduce yourself!
  • What subjects are you taking this year? (be sure to include exam board)
  • What made you interested in studying these subjects?
  • What do you want to do as a career In the future? What are your dreams, your aspirations, your goals?
  • How are you feeling about starting Year 12?
  • Any plans after Sixth Form? Have your eyes set on a particular company or university?
  • … and now, anything about you! (fun facts, hobbies, or anything else you want to share!)
Introduce yourself! hi, i’m nightingale :hello:

What subjects are you taking this year? (be sure to include exam board) i’m taking biology (AQA), chemistry (AQA), psychology (AQA) and maths (Edexcel) i hope to do an EPQ too, although my school hasn’t initiated the process just yet.

What made you interested in studying these subjects? i want to go on to study medicine, which explains the subject combo — i chose psychology instead of physics because i did physics IAS (CIE) last year and it was hellish! i also love the look of the psychology course (not so keen on research methods, but it is what it is) and i also took biology, chemistry and mathematics IAS last year. it was incredibly difficult, particularly chemistry, and i wouldn’t say i’m particularly advantaged by this; i did not retain anything :lol: the only thing i can say is that i know what to expect in terms of the workload and there isn’t much of a ‘gap’ i have to bridge.

What do you want to do as a career In the future? i want to become a doctor. i’ve taken a particularly interest in neurosurgery, as well as the intersection between psychiatry and neurology; i’m also hoping to centre my EPQ around this as a topic.

What are your dreams, your aspirations, your goals? i want to aim for all A*s, including in my EPQ — i would be happy with anything between A*A*AA and A*A*A*A*, but i want to aim as high as i can. i also want to get into the University of Cambridge for medicine — a high goal, but it’s been a dream of mine for the past two years and it’s something i truly want to work towards. i’m well aware of the difficulties of med school as is — nevermind Cambridge — but i love the idea of a traditional course (i don’t think PBL would work for me) and i love Cambridge itself.

How are you feeling about starting Year 12? terrified. last year was incredibly difficult for me — i did my IGCSEs a year earlier due to being abroad in a different school system and so spent the previous year doing IAS, also abroad. it was tough and i struggled way too much mentally; i didn’t do very well throughout the year, due to a mix of the fact that school was entirely online, an unsupportive environment, losing loved ones, and existing mental health issues that multiplied due to all the stress. i’m back in the UK and attending school in-person — i don’t know how the year will go and i’m just waiting for my brain to start f*cking up again, as it always does. let’s hope this year is an exception to what the past two years have been.

Any plans after Sixth Form? Have your eyes set on a particular company or university? i hope i’ll be off to university, hopefully (inshaAllah) to study medicine at Cambridge!

… and now, anything about you! (fun facts, hobbies, or anything else you want to share!) i’m a huge harry potter and PJO/HoO fan. the soundtracks to my life are ‘nightingale’ by demi lovato and ‘this is me trying’ by taylor swift
Last edited by nightingalegend; 11 months ago
Arwa65
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 months ago
Heyyyy peopleee
Am doing biology, chemistry, psychology and core maths all AQA
Reason behind choice? Idk wabted to play safe
Future plans? Absolutely clueless
So its been a week since we started and how do i make friends? Cuz everybody seem to have other friends and i dont wanna be an outcast or extra
15977emily
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Esme9812)
Is anyone one here doing gold dofe? I originally said I would but now I'm not too sure because I'm doing 4 a levels and I think the time I would spend doing dofe could be used to improve my personal statement. What do you think?
How long does Gold DofE take?
skejrjoen
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Aaa I have induction day this week, wish me luck! I'll let you know if I actually talk to people or if I end up sitting by myself majority of the time haha I'll try join clubs and societies to get to know people. I'm studying English language, politics and philosophy also doing an EPQ.
IbbyIbs
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
I just started school today and I have already lost my timetable.

Great start to the academic year
Esme9812
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by 15977emily)
How long does Gold DofE take?
I think the longest activity has to take 12 months. But it requires around 5 hours a week and I've already been given loads of homework + prereading and making flashcards as I go. so I don't think I have time for it.
_lottieee
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Hii! I'm Lottie
Going to bexhill college if anyone here is though I doubt that 😂
I'm doing English literature, philosophy and psychology! I also hope to do an epq in the 2nd year.
I would love to go on to a writing based career, like Journalism or something in the media
Year 11 was really hard for me mentally because of how bad the school environment was and the people there haha but I'm happy that I'm having a fresh start!
DP4300
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Has anyone done binomials in maths?
15977emily
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by DP4300)
Has anyone done binomials in maths?
Yes I have!
AaronSR
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
I’m doing maths physics and computing for a level
Glorystudent4
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Hey I’m Liza,
I’m taking:
- furthermaths (edexcel)
- maths (edexcel)
- chemistry (edexcel)

My plans for the future are to go to uni and study comp sci xxx
parmezanne
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Lemur14)
Hey all :wavey:
Quoting in everyone who posted in the year 11 thread last year! Hope your GCSE results (or equivalent) went well and good luck for year 12 :hugs:
year 12 was the most traumatic year of my life so far so I don't think I will be partaking in this one, thank you for the tag however :lol:
Esme9812
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Glorystudent4)
Hey I’m Liza,
I’m taking:
- furthermaths (edexcel)
- maths (edexcel)
- chemistry (edexcel)

Heyo, I'm also doing further maths without physics, which is making me worried for the mechanics section.
15977emily
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Glorystudent4)
Hey I’m Liza,
I’m taking:
- furthermaths (edexcel)
- maths (edexcel)
- chemistry (edexcel)

Don't you need an A-Level in computer science? And normal A-Level Maths?
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by 15977emily)
Don't you need an A-Level in computer science? And normal A-Level Maths?
Naa comp sci at uni typically requires maths not comp sci
3ggfriedrice
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Some of us may know each other from last years forum, but as with every new year, there will be a new influx of TSR members, so it's time to introduce yourselves and meet some new friends!
  • Introduce yourself!
  • What do you want to do as a career In the future? What are your dreams, your aspirations, your goals?
  • Any plans after Sixth Form? Have your eyes set on a particular company or university?
  • … and now, anything about you! (fun facts, hobbies, or anything else you want to share!)
Hello, I’d prefer not to mention my name so call me my user :-D

What subjects are you taking this year? (be sure to include exam board)
- OCR Art (am changing from Classical Civilisation), OCR Chemistry, Edexcel Psychology and Maths

What made you interested in studying these subjects?
- Despite not doing GCSE Art it’s probably best to take Art as I definitely am going to live a creative life. Psychology interests me and I didn’t take it at GCSE, so I thought why not. The other 2 I got 9s in but honestly they are just fillers.

What do you want to do as a career In the future? What are your dreams, your aspirations, your goals?
Currently I want to be a graphic designer and after uni go work in-house and then perhaps set up my own small online business.

How are you feeling about starting Year 12?
SO MUCH HOMEWORK ALREADY but I’ve been keeping on top of it I’m just apprehensive of what Art is going to throw at me as I don’t have the 3 years of experience the other students have

Any plans after Sixth Form? Have your eyes set on a particular company or university?
Foundation diploma then uni (UAL fingers crossed)

… and now, anything about you! (fun facts, hobbies, or anything else you want to share!)

I like egg fried rice, hate spicy food, I really wish I could have a dog I am also a punster so watch out…
Kyle McNeil
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
  • Introduce yourself!
My name is Kyle McNeil and I’m currently studying at Sixth Form. I achieved mainly grade 5s in my GCSEs.

I am taking the following subjects:
BTEC L3 Foundation Diploma in Art and Design - Photography (Edexcel)
BTEC L3 Extended Certificate in Information Technology (Edexcel)
BTEC L3 Extended Certificate in Travel and Tourism (Edexcel)
GCSE English Language Resit (AQA)

I studied the Photography and IT L2 courses in KS4 and I met the entry requirements to study the L3 courses; I found the courses interesting so I decided to chose them.
And for Travel and Tourism, I always found Travelling interesting so I decided to chose it.

I want to do something that is Travel based such as Cabin Crew or working with airlines etc. In addition, I could also do something that is Computer-based or Photography-based.

My goal is to get a Distinction in all 3 subjects (especially Travel and Tourism)!

I am feeling quite confident about Year 12 apart from the fact that I am retaking my English which I’ll resit the exams in November to hopefully get it out the way. Overall, I am confident about all my Level 3 BTECs as I am interested in each subject.

After Sixth Form, I hope to at least get a job or get into university, however, I am a bit unsure as I am studying all BTECs and they all seem to require A-Levels but I’ll look into it in more detail at some point.

About me? I like playing video games on my Computer or Xbox but I only spend about an hour or so as I do spend quite a lot of time studying. I do also spend quite a bit of time on social media like scrolling through TikTok videos.
AMAP1JC2
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Kyle McNeil)
My name is Kyle McNeil and I’m currently studying at Sixth Form. I achieved mainly grade 5s in my GCSEs.

I am taking the following subjects:
BTEC L3 Foundation Diploma in Art and Design - Photography (Edexcel)
BTEC L3 Extended Certificate in Information Technology (Edexcel)
BTEC L3 Extended Certificate in Travel and Tourism (Edexcel)
GCSE English Language Resit (AQA)

I studied the Photography and IT L2 courses in KS4 and I met the entry requirements to study the L3 courses; I found the courses interesting so I decided to chose them.
And for Travel and Tourism, I always found Travelling interesting so I decided to chose it.

I want to do something that is Travel based such as Cabin Crew or working with airlines etc. In addition, I could also do something that is Computer-based or Photography-based.

My goal is to get a Distinction in all 3 subjects (especially Travel and Tourism)!

I am feeling quite confident about Year 12 apart from the fact that I am retaking my English which I’ll resit the exams in November to hopefully get it out the way. Overall, I am confident about all my Level 3 BTECs as I am interested in each subject.

After Sixth Form, I hope to at least get a job or get into university, however, I am a bit unsure as I am studying all BTECs and they all seem to require A-Levels but I’ll look into it in more detail at some point.

About me? I like playing video games on my Computer or Xbox but I only spend about an hour or so as I do spend quite a lot of time studying. I do also spend quite a bit of time on social media like scrolling through TikTok videos.
heyy omg im doing Travel and tourism at college however im having second thoughts about it after my sister was like go into a better career so idk might change it to health and social to become and adult nurse
elpe
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by nightingalegend)
Introduce yourself! hi, i’m nightingale :hello:

What subjects are you taking this year? (be sure to include exam board) i’m taking biology (AQA), chemistry (AQA), psychology (AQA) and maths (Edexcel) i hope to do an EPQ too, although my school hasn’t initiated the process just yet.

What made you interested in studying these subjects? i want to go on to study medicine, which explains the subject combo — i chose psychology instead of physics because i did physics IAS (CIE) last year and it was hellish! i also love the look of the psychology course (not so keen on research methods, but it is what it is) and i also took biology, chemistry and mathematics IAS last year. it was incredibly difficult, particularly chemistry, and i wouldn’t say i’m particularly advantaged by this; i did not retain anything :lol: the only thing i can say is that i know what to expect in terms of the workload and there isn’t much of a ‘gap’ i have to bridge.

What do you want to do as a career In the future? i want to become a doctor. i’ve taken a particularly interest in neurosurgery, as well as the intersection between psychiatry and neurology; i’m also hoping to centre my EPQ around this as a topic.

What are your dreams, your aspirations, your goals? i want to aim for all A*s, including in my EPQ — i would be happy with anything between A*A*AA and A*A*A*A*, but i want to aim as high as i can. i also want to get into the University of Cambridge for medicine — a high goal, but it’s been a dream of mine for the past two years and it’s something i truly want to work towards. i’m well aware of the difficulties of med school as is — nevermind Cambridge — but i love the idea of a traditional course (i don’t think PBL would work for me) and i love Cambridge itself.

How are you feeling about starting Year 12? terrified. last year was incredibly difficult for me — i did my IGCSEs a year earlier due to being abroad in a different school system and so spent the previous year doing IAS, also abroad. it was tough and i struggled way too much mentally; i didn’t do very well throughout the year, due to a mix of the fact that school was entirely online, an unsupportive environment, losing loved ones, and existing mental health issues that multiplied due to all the stress. i’m back in the UK and attending school in-person — i don’t know how the year will go and i’m just waiting for my brain to start f*cking up again, as it always does. let’s hope this year is an exception to what the past two years have been.

Any plans after Sixth Form? Have your eyes set on a particular company or university? i hope i’ll be off to university, hopefully (inshaAllah) to study medicine at Cambridge!

… and now, anything about you! (fun facts, hobbies, or anything else you want to share!) i’m a huge harry potter and PJO/HoO fan. the soundtracks to my life are ‘nightingale’ by demi lovato and ‘this is me trying’ by taylor swift
Omgg I'm a PJO/HoO fan too!!! #percabeth XD
nightingalegend
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by elpe)
Omgg I'm a PJO/HoO fan too!!! #percabeth XD
PERIOD! percabeth is the best ship in existence
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (29)
18.47%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (40)
25.48%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (81)
51.59%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.46%

Watched Threads