The Current Year 11 Chat Thread (2021-2022)

Watch this thread
Leigh_0001
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by yay_lilia)
Oh no!
I'm hoping that the teachers wont be as strict for the first few days because were getting back into things but because its y11 i highly doubt that
If it makes you feel any better at all, I managed to get double science, maths and English all in one day on the first day 🤡
yay_lilia
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Leigh_0001)
If it makes you feel any better at all, I managed to get double science, maths and English all in one day on the first day 🤡
I- damnnn that must've been painfully boring
Random11_206
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by nikkiblonsky)
:banana: :afraid: :banana:YR 11 CHAT THREAD-2021-2022:banana: :afraid: :banana:

ahhhhh we made it besties, we're at our final yr of secondary school, how is everybody feeling? Talk about revision , share tears together as we prepare for our GCSES (vomits)

:eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :burnout:

honestly though guys we have got this, and we are gonna all ace our gcses, final year of school guys lets do this!!!

also , do u think you'lll miss secondary school? :creep:

- ****Introduce yourself*****
:angelwings:
- What subjects are you doing and on which exam board?
:angelwings:- What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?
:angelwings:- What grades are you aiming for at the end of the year?
:angelwings:- Any ideas what you would like to do after this year?
:angelwings:- Share your top revision technique
Hello!!
The subjects I'm doing are:
Maths Higher (Edexcel)
History (Edexcel)
Religious Studies B (Edexcel)
English Literature (AQA)
English Language (AQA)
German Higher (AQA)
Geography (AQA)
Biology Higher (AQA)
Chemistry Higher (AQA)
Physics Higher (AQA)

In my spare time, I play violin and piano, and I like doing crochet/knitting/sewing, bullet journaling, doing calligraphy and reading.
I'm aiming for mainly 8s and 9s, and for A levels I'd like to do maths, further maths, chemistry, and either physics or classics.
My main revision techniques are spending inordinate amounts of time making way too detailed notes, Seneca, attempting active recall, past papers and blurting.
studyomi
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
hi,,,im seph and im taking:

maths (edexcel)
english lit + lang (aqa)
double science (aqa)
rs (ocr)
latin (wjec)
history (aqa)
pe (ocr)
drama (aqa)

uhhh i enjoy dancing and reading mainly, as well as sports like netball and volleyball !!!!!

i'm aiming for a clean sweep of all 9s but i think i might get lower in latin, english lit and rs ((i got close to this in my first mocks so i just need to work a bit harder))

i'm planning to study maths, further maths, physics and economics at sixth form and maybe go into computer science or economics at university.

my top revision technique is just practice papers and active recall. i think that if you know what the exam board wants from you exactly the exams will be so much easier. also for subjects like maths, practice extremely difficult questions, (like the last few questions on the actual exam), and the entire exam will seem so easy.

im so excited to start working n get year 11 over with lol
chiaraaltierir
Rep:
Report 11 months ago

ahhhhh we made it besties, we're at our final yr of secondary school, how is everybody feeling? Talk about revision , share tears together as we prepare for our GCSES (vomits)

:eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :burnout:

honestly though guys we have got this, and we are gonna all ace our gcses, final year of school guys lets do this!!!

Hi!
I am doing these GCSE's
Mathematics (Higher) - Edexcel
Combined Science (Hopefully higher) - AQA
English Language - OCR
Business Studies - AQA
Media Studies - BTEC Pearson
Sport Science - BTEC Pearson
Religious Studies (Short Course) - AQA
History - Edexcel

I love reading and studying tbh-
Hopefully, if I do higher science I will get between 7-9's as well as maths and English language.
Everything else I just can get 5's and above and merits!

After this year I would like to do A-level physics, mathematics and economics. Possibly an EPQ.

TOP REVISION TECHNIQUE.
Okay make a sheet on google sheets of your entire subject and all its topics and sub-topics.
Have a column for each of the topics, sub-topics, date and like a column to colour code on how you feel.
Go through each subject as you wish.
ALSO...
Write. Write notes. Then do active recall. For example draw posters on each of the science practicals and go through and practice the steps until you can say the whole experiment in depth to you wall-
GOOD LUCK!!!
VilasL06
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Hii sorry its been like 8 months since I last posted on the yr 10 forum but yeah I still can't believe we're in yr 11 already!! Like yr 7 to the 1st half of yr 9 went slow and the second half of yr 9 to present just whizzed by bc of lockdown and that.

Hi I'm Vilas, born in Germany but has Sri Lankan blood and I moved to the UK when I was like 3.

So since I go to school in Wales and that, every single subject we do is WJEC

My GCSE subjects:
- English Language (WJEC)
- English Literature (WJEC) - Done in Yr 10 and A* (yayyy)
- Maths (WJEC)
- Maths-Numeracy (WJEC)
- Biology (WJEC)
- Chemistry (WJEC)
- Physics (WJEC)
- Welsh (WJEC)
- Religious Studies (WJEC)
- Geography (WJEC)
- German (WJEC)
- Music (WJEC)
- Welsh Bacc (WJEC)
(- And I think we have the option to do WJEC Additional Maths this year)

Since I'm in Wales, we still have the A*-G system so by the end of the year I'm hoping to get all A*s and As or even all A*s. Good news I already know that I've got an A* for Eng Lit over and done with so I'm really relieved

In my spare time I play the piano, I'm on Grade 6 right now and I'm going to do Grade 5 Theory. My favourite subject is actually Maths which loads of people say it's hard and that but idk why, it's just the satisfaction of solving things which I like for some reason

Next I want to go to sixth form, I'm thinking of taking Maths, Biology Chemistry and Further maths for A level but recently I've been interested in space so maybe Physics Maths Further maths and another subject. I'm still not sure yet whether to take a career in medicine or a maths related field or even the space field but all I know is that I want to take a STEM related career.

REVISION
So I've seen a few studytuber channels over the summer and they all say the most effective revision techniques are ACTIVE RECALL and SPACED REPETITION. Active recall is basically testing yourself or retrieving information actively from your brain, Spaced repetition is doing that but over increasing intervals (e.g. 1st test after 1 day, the next after 3 days, the next after 6 days then 10 days etc). The revision technique combining both the above that has best worked with me is basically flashcards which you guys all probably know but you need to do them over spaced intervals. So there's this app for this called Anki, its a bit hard to get used to and that but you should check it out on yt. I used Quizlet in yr 10 which I'm guessing you guys all know already, Quizlet and Anki are both flashcard apps and I wasn't sure which app was better. After some researching and that, I think that Anki is actually slightly better bc it uses spaced repetition which Quizlet kind of does but not the most effectively. But it's really up to you, Quizlet is really good too bc it definitely looks way better than Anki. I also tried the blurting technique where you write down all you know about a topic without looking at your notes, then see what you missed, write it in a different colour.

Also one more important thing - before you do ANY revision, there is another step you need to make sure you've done - understanding. You need to actually understand the content first before revising it. So for that I would watch videos, listen in class etc to make sure I would understand it first and build a mental model of the topic in my head. Once that is done the revision process is wayy easier.

I think mind maps are also good, I've combined this with blurting and it can work quite well.

So sorry for going on for way too long, I just hope I've got all my thoughts down now in case I forget to visit student room until months later. Good luck to all those in yr 11 this year, hope you get the grades you want
Last edited by VilasL06; 11 months ago
jamest0394q
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Leigh_0001)
init same
savemeplease
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Hello ladies and gentlemen!! I'm Lizzie!

i'm aiming for 7 onwards!
idkwhatosay
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 11 months ago

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii everyone

im taking:
edexcel combined science (higher)
edexcel maths (higher)
edexcel computer science
aqa georgraphy
aqa english lang
aqa english lit
aqa german (higher)
edquas Re.

i would like 7 or 6s in everything but i doubt i will pass computer science
i think i want to stay on at my schools sixth form but not really sure
i spend a lot of my time alone in my room watching netflix but i also love dog walks
i dont really spend much time revising i spend most of my time procrastinating, and making flashcards whalst watching netflix which my friends seem to think counts as revising

good luck to everyone
thrivingfrog
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
I start school tomorrow ahhhh I'm so nervous
amtulsab_x
Rep:
Report 10 months ago

Im doing
triple science AQA
Maths
English
History
Btec Media
IT
Spanish (aqa)
in my spare time i watch kpop. i just got into them a few months ago.
im aiming for 7 to 9s
after this yr i would like to take bio,chem and either maths or physics.
my top revision tip is make sure you start revising early. at first you might not even know how to revise but start with reading through textbooks then practice exam questions. if you dont understand a topic watch youtube videos. once you start understanding the topic it will stick to your head better too.
Sophstudent25
Rep:
Report 10 months ago

also , do u think you'll miss secondary school? :creep:

Ok so I'm a week late to the party but...

I'm doing:
Maths(Higher:edexcel) aiming for 7/8
English Lit(AQA) aiming for 8
English Lang(AQA) aiming for 7
Biology(Higher-Separate:AQA) aiming for 9
Chemistry(Higher-Separate:AQA) aiming for 9
Physics(Higher-Seperate:AQA) aiming for 7/8
History(Edexcel) aiming for 9
Geography(AQA) aiming for 9
Spanish(Edexcel I think) aiming for 7/8
PE(OCR) aiming for D2*(9)
Re(AQA) aiming for 9
Last edited by Sophstudent25; 10 months ago
pran.
Rep:
Report 10 months ago

Hi,

I do
Maths (Edexcel)
Admaths
Eng. Lit & Eng. Lang (OCR)
Bio, Phys, Chem (OCR)
RS (AQA AS Exam or smth)
Art (Regretted)
French (AQA)
Geo (AQA)
Econ (OCR)

Hope to get all 9s apart from maybe Eng. Lit and Art, got pretty close to this on my Y10 mocks. For how I revise I honestly don't know, in Y10 I did practice papers (A lot) and some flashcards, I don't really know where to start with revision in Y11, and if I should bother making notes, cause it feels like I'm re-writing the textbook and I hate that, so any advice would be appreciated.
thealphabetsays
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Ahhh I'm back today! My first lesson of the year will be maths
Sophstudent25
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by thealphabetsays)
Ahhh I'm back today! My first lesson of the year will be maths
Mines Religion education and then maths, but it’s like 200 degrees🥵
thealphabetsays
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Sophstudent25)
Mines Religion education and then maths, but it’s like 200 degrees🥵
Yeah it's been so warm, I can barely function
jamest0394q
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Been back for 2 days it's been alright tbf
gl to everyone
TazmeenX
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 10 months ago

omg hey everyone!! i'm tazmeen <333

the subjects im doing:
maths (i believe edexcel??)
english lang+lit (edexcel)
triple science (ew im being forced to okay? also, aqa)
rs (aqa)
geography (aqa)
french (aqa)
food tech (aqa)

used to do art and further maths-dropped both lolzies

my predicted vs what i want to get
Spoiler:
Show
so uhh im predicted all 9s hhhh so much pressure but here are my aims as to what i want to get

maths-9
eng lang+lit-8,8 wouldn't mind a 7 tbh but my parents would send me back home yk?
physics-8
chemistry-8
biology-9
rs-8
geography-9
french-9
food tech-i would like a 9 but due to the practical side of it it would probably be pushed down to an 8 or even a 7

hobbies and stuff: bts, learning languages, reading lol im kinda boring ngl

plans for next year? alevels probably (politics, sociology, chemistry, biology, french, geography idk). as for uni, i really want to do law

my top revision tip would defo be spaced repetition-there's no use in making flashcards if you're only going to read them a day after you make them, forgetting abt them and then the day before your actual exams yk?

sorry this is kinda short lmfao. i guess after 3 or so years it gets repetitive ig? (dw lol i still have fun writing these intros its just that ive learned not to write down my whole life story in these intros)

if yall wanna be friends, dm me or something-we could be study buddies on discord or something

ooooh we could make a cute lil year 11 discord server lol
TazmeenX
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
hah feels very weird being year 11 now. all the privileges like cutting the lunch queue and having phones and having the year 7s move out my way before i even say anything (tbf i was one of them 5 years ago lol) etc etc dont think ill get used to it anytime soon
ApplePi55
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Just had my first day today (okay ik it’s technically Wednesday but it’s 1m still feels like Tuesday, on another note I should sleep 😭 I need to wake up in 5 hours) and it’s sooo weird but I actually like it. Our teachers said we’d get about 2 hours of homework for each core subject so 6 a week and probably an hour for options so about 11 each week. I swear I literally forgot how to do work 😭 I’m still in summer holiday mindset, but no time for slacking we’re gonna have our mocks soon.

What time do you guys think you’ll have your mocks (the ones that used to be in November)? My teacher said they don’t really know cos covid might do something, but they hope it’ll be during November.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (14)
17.28%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (21)
25.93%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (42)
51.85%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
4.94%

Watched Threads