The Student Room Group

I didn’t know birkbeck is a uni for older people !!!!

Guys my tutor told me it’s better to put birkbeck uni as my firm choice and Westminster as my insurance. He said birkbeck has a better reputation and etc. I did and I had no idea that this uni is for old people and it’s an evening uni 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭 I got unconditional offers from both and got accepted in birkbeck now I don’t know what to do I don’t want to go there I will probably get depressed I’m only 18 I’m an international student as well I’ll be paying a lot and it’s probably going to be dangerous because I live in north London and this uni is in central and taking trains at night time in ldn for a girl can be dodgy and dangerous 😭😭😭 I won’t even get the uni experience since it’s not even a traditional uni 😭😭😭 what should I do is it possible to get in my insurance ? If I email Westminster do you guys think they’ll accept me?😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭 I’ve been crying for 1 week
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It means that you it would be easier to have a job whilst at a university in London. You'll mature.
Reply 2
You can decline your offer and go through Clearing. It's still open, there will still be places.
Or, you can take a gap year and reapply.
It's really not that deep, they're older than you, yes, but so what? If anything, it's good because you get to learn from them. Once you transition to the workplace, those same old people that you're afraid of will be your manager or seniors.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
That’s risky though
Reply 5
Original post by ghjhg33333
That’s risky though

What's risky?

You can search for courses that are open for clearing here: https://digital.ucas.com/search you won't be going in blind if you do decide to decline your place.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
I thought I was gonna be with people my age and meet my soulmate there I don’t think my soulmate is a 30 year old 😭😭😭
Reply 7
I thought I was gonna be with people my age and meet my soulmate there I don’t think my soulmate is a 30 year old 😭😭😭

You wouldn't be the only school-leaver in your course. But if you don't want to go to that uni, don't go. Find another place via clearing, and this time, do some research about the place.
Reply 8
Original post by Sinnoh
You wouldn't be the only school-leaver in your course. But if you don't want to go to that uni, don't go. Find another place via clearing, and this time, do some research about the place.

Idk it’s scary
Reply 9
Idk it’s scary

...do you want to go to a different university or not?

What course are you taking?
Reply 10
Why didn't you do this research before even putting birbeck down? This could have been easily avoided
Reply 12
Original post by AmIReallyHere
Why didn't you do this research before even putting birbeck down? This could have been easily avoided

I never thought of the fact that such unis exist in London 🥲🥲 it didn’t even cross my mind that there would be a uni for old people
Why do you think going to a university with older students is a problem, though?
Reply 14
Original post by Sinnoh
...do you want to go to a different university or not?

What course are you taking?

I don’t know mate just pray for me pls thx
Original post by AmIReallyHere
Why didn't you do this research before even putting Birbeck down? This could have been easily avoided

Honestly.
Reply 16
I will be meeting my nan there don’t worry 😭😭
Reply 17
Original post by grey-giraffe
Why do you think going to a university with older students is a problem, though?

Cause you wouldn’t get the uni life experience and also it’s an evening uni :/
Reply 18
I don’t know mate just pray for me pls thx

I'd rather do something more constructive to help
Cause you wouldn’t get the uni life experience and also it’s an evening uni :/

What do you class aa uni-life, because university is meant to be about getting a degree, looking after yourself and working independently not partying left and right - what about it being an evening uni makes it bad as well? As said above it means you can get a job while studying as well as means when you are independently studying it will usually be in the day rather than the night

Quick Reply

Latest