Fitness to practice

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi, my friend is a dental student. They spoke to their personal tutor mentioning that they have depression. They referred them, without telling them, to Welfare panel (after six months) which then referred them to fitness to practice panel. The faculty presented a report stating that they have 10 hours of absence but the professor representing the faculty stated that the absence was actually 60 days but no evidence submitted for that and despite that the official record of absence states it is absence is only 1.5 days. They asked them to repeat the year and then to be reassessed. They dismissed an appeal hearing. My friend feels that the whole process is unfair but no -one in the university or faculty wants to listen! Has anyone been through a similar experience with their universities??
incognito28
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Hi, absolutely, I was a medical student and had a horrendous experience through fitness to practise due to a mental illness. Ultimately the ombudsman framed the university had been discriminatory but I still lost my place (despite only having 9 months left and having paid for the entire degree). Ultimately it seems the universities are a rule to themselves and can do what they wish….the regulatory agencies won’t look at cases at university which is very unfortunate.
incognito28
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
*concluded not framed 🫣
Annonymous 1998
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Sorry you had to go through this dreadful experience. Which uni was that? Does this mean that even the ombudsman conclusion is not binding for universities? Who should students complain to then?
incognito28
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
The ombudsman can only make recommendations-the university doesn’t technically have to follow them. I would strongly urge your friend to go to the ombudsman as it looks bad on the uni if the complaint is upheld.
I’ve been offered another Fitness to Practise as an outcome, but truth be told the process has been so long and I would have to repeat so many years that it financially is not a realistic option to finish (even if a miracle happened and I were allowed to).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
27.63%
As I expected (23)
30.26%
Harder (28)
36.84%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
5.26%

Watched Threads