The Student Room Group

low grades

My grades in a lot of my subjects (except art and DT) have always been low and i want to improve that, i've thought of getting a tutor as it helped me pass my 11 plus test (a test in the medway area that allows you to get into grammar school [which i did]) but i don't know what subjects to get tuition for and when to get it

Extra information:
yr group - start year 10 in september of this year
gcse subjects - english, science (combined), maths, spanish, DT, art, economics
subjects i care about - maths, science, DT, art
Subjects im doing bad in (based of my report card) - spanish(3-), economics(2), maths(3), biology(3+), english (4-)
Job that i want to do in the future - Architect or Graphics design

Any tips or help?
(edited 2 years ago)
Are you in a Grammar School rn? (I did the 11+ and passed but for entry into Year 8 and the school was oversubscribed aldfjs)
I am in the same year as you btw
I would say not to worry at the moment - most people start GCSEs at Year 10 and so haven't learnt content if their subjects are entirely new. My English teacher said that by Year 9 getting a 4 is amazing, you are basically at the level of some Year 11s. I would definitely get a tutor for Maths, since that's the subject you aren't at pass level yet (and you will need to pass it)

First point is everyone learns differently but this is how I do it:
With Spanish I would do duolingo or quizlet or extra repitition work - (I'm on a 7 for Spanish)
Make sure you understand the basics of systems, as well as cells - what I've found of what we covered is a lot of it comes from the basics and some of the content can easily be guessed using previous education (I got a 6 in my last biology test - however didn't really revise aldfjs)

English is split into two subjects so if you are getting a 4 at both? (8/7 here)
Language - read a lot of books, work on creative writing and speed

Literature - rad the poems, look at meanings (make sure you understand the poems enough to write about any of them - dw if you haven't covered them all), highlight good quotes, do some example essays

These are just ways I revise btw, you do not need to do these

Can't really help with economics... didn't take it nor was it offered
Reply 2
Original post by AmIReallyHere
Are you in a Grammar School rn? (I did the 11+ and passed but for entry into Year 8 and the school was oversubscribed aldfjs)
I am in the same year as you btw
I would say not to worry at the moment - most people start GCSEs at Year 10 and so haven't learnt content if their subjects are entirely new. My English teacher said that by Year 9 getting a 4 is amazing, you are basically at the level of some Year 11s. I would definitely get a tutor for Maths, since that's the subject you aren't at pass level yet (and you will need to pass it)

First point is everyone learns differently but this is how I do it:
With Spanish I would do duolingo or quizlet or extra repitition work - (I'm on a 7 for Spanish)
Make sure you understand the basics of systems, as well as cells - what I've found of what we covered is a lot of it comes from the basics and some of the content can easily be guessed using previous education (I got a 6 in my last biology test - however didn't really revise aldfjs)

English is split into two subjects so if you are getting a 4 at both? (8/7 here)
Language - read a lot of books, work on creative writing and speed

Literature - rad the poems, look at meanings (make sure you understand the poems enough to write about any of them - dw if you haven't covered them all), highlight good quotes, do some example essays

These are just ways I revise btw, you do not need to do these

Can't really help with economics... didn't take it nor was it offered

Yeah i got into a grammar school and thanks for the advise :0

Quick Reply

Latest