The Student Room Group

Feel like a complete and utter failure in life

I have only recently been diagnosed with ADD and I have high functioning autism which has severely impacted my education in university . My ADD would make it extremely difficult to ever get any work done and I never knew why I had a hard time concentrating & I was always postponing work . I knew there was something wrong with me but I couldn’t put my finger on it . I never got the support that I needed . I did above average in secondary school mostly because I got a push from my family but now that I’m an adult I’m no longer told what to do and it’s solely up to me. I never made any friends at university and so I have not been able to do any study groups or even get any help from my peers so I struggled a lot . I felt overwhelmed by the workload and so I would put it off and it’s now gone to the point where I’ve wasted 2 whole academic years and I feel so devastated and worthless . I feel like giving up and have no motivation. I could really do with some words of encouragement .
School isn't everything, academics aren't everything and university isn't everything
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
School isn't everything, academics aren't everything and university isn't everything

True I do have ambition but I just feel stuck in life and I don’t want to disappoint my parents more than anything as it means a lot to them
Original post by Anonymous
True I do have ambition but I just feel stuck in life and I don’t want to disappoint my parents more than anything as it means a lot to them

As long as you try your best your parents will be happy. Theres talented people but hard work beats talent everything single time. Some dumb kid can do better than a talented kid if they worked at it.
Remember, this is only a chapter in your life. Do not let it define you. Reach out and ask for help, perhaps your univerisity can provide you with support to help you with your work. Even reach out to your parents, they seem supportive and I'm sure they would be hearbroken to know that you are feeling this way. Don't suffer in silence; when we go through hard times, it is easy to be our own worst critic. You are loved and you will get through this. Don't navigate this hard chapter alone, it helps if you have people by your side to help you through. You've got this x
(edited 2 years ago)
try your best
Original post by tinygirl96
try your best

Yeah ^

Quick Reply

Latest