What sort of maths do you have to do in an automotive engineering course?

Watch this thread
Jaymin
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hello,

I'm going to start an automotive engineering foundation course at university and I want to know what sort of maths topics will come up so I can study ahead to prepare. I haven't done much, if any, maths since GCSE's so I'm very rusty in that department. I have a great interest in cars and watch videos about assembling vehicles as well as their inner workings because I don't currently have my own car and also not having the correct facilities to work on a car either. The main worry I have currently is the maths though. If anyone could shine some light on it, it would be incredibly helpful.

Thanks.
Last edited by Jaymin; 11 months ago
fizxzaman
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 months ago
You'd do a lot of mechanics-related stuff, and I'd say brush up on a bit of physics too (SUVAT, forces, pulleys, torque, motion, moments, etc. as they're all vital for automotive engineering).
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Jaymin)
Hello,

I'm going to start an automotive engineering foundation course at university and I want to know what sort of maths topics will come up so I can study ahead to prepare. I haven't done much, if any, maths since GCSE's so I'm very rusty in that department. I have a great interest in cars and watch videos about assembling vehicles as well as their inner workings because I don't currently have my own car and also not having the correct facilities to work on a car either. The main worry I have currently is the maths though. If anyone could shine some light on it, it would be incredibly helpful.

Thanks.
You’ll really be doing mechanical engineering.

Mostly calculus & linear algebra. You’ll be doing an applied mathematics degree really, every day of the degree. The main subjects are stress, kinematics, fluid mechanics & thermodynamics. You’ll also have to do some stuff on design & manufacturing, control engineering and perhaps in final years some more application like vehicle dynamics (which is mostly applied linear algebra) and an introduction into automotive propulsion (which is a mix of stuff but mostly applied calculus).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (66)
69.47%
In the post (3)
3.16%
Text (13)
13.68%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (13)
13.68%

Watched Threads