The Student Room Group

Freshers fair

Is it normal to go to the freshers fair by yourself or do you bring people with you?
Reply 1
Do you also pay for the societies you want to join at the freshers fair or after?
Original post by Anonymous
Is it normal to go to the freshers fair by yourself or do you bring people with you?

Hi there!

What university are you going to? :smile: I would say there is a huge amount of people who go by themselves and also a huge amount of people who go with people in their flat or people they've met over the course of freshers week. Freshers fair is an opportunity for you to talk to societies and club, find out more about them and also then get the chance to trial any out! You normally pay after freshers fair, so must societies and clubs will hold taster sessions that you can go to and then after the taster sessions if it's a paid society then you would pay then, unless you're 100% sure you want to join you can pay before but it's probably best waiting untill after :smile:

I hope this helps!
Becca
Original post by Anonymous
Do you also pay for the societies you want to join at the freshers fair or after?

Hi anon, as the Surrey rep touched on, there is absolutely no need to pay or join anything at a fresher's fair so I would encourage you to give anything a go that interests you and see what you enjoy! It might vary by student union, but in my experience sports societies would allow people to train with them for around a month before having to pay anything, and subject societies would let anyone social for free, but would ask you to pay membership to join competitions etc. So there is no pressure to make your mind up quickly and these societies won't usually turn you away either for paying late on as they don't have limited spots. All the best of luck for freshers!
Lizzy, Student ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest