Personal statement

Watch this thread
Charles second
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I'm still working on my personal statement and I'm still trying to start it.
grey-giraffe
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
Hi

Don't worry if you're struggling with it, if you're applying for 2022 entry you've got plenty of time until the January 15th deadline.

What are you applying to study? Do you know what you need to include in the personal statement, and have you got any ideas about what you'd like to include?
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Start with 'I realised I wanted to study xxx when....' as an introduction.
Then two chunky paragraphs about specific topics within that subject that interest you - outside the A level syllabus if possible.
A short paragraph abut 'what else you do apart from study' and why you enjoy doing those things.
Two line final bit about how much you are looking forwatd to all the opportunities will bring or about future career aims.
Job done.

Good short film here about 'Do's and Don'ts of PS writing' - the document mentioned at the end is especially useful, it has example PS from many deafferent subjects with what is good/wrong about them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF5-vnhZRx8
Charles second
Rep:
How do I get started?.
plain__jane
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Just don't start with the introduction, because the hardest part is actually starting the ps
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Start with a two sentence 'I realised I wanted to study xxx when....' as an introduction.
Then two chunky paragraphs about specific topics within that subject that interest you - outside the A level syllabus if possible.
A short paragraph abut 'what else you do apart from study' and why you enjoy doing those things.
Two line final bit about how much you are looking forward to all the opportunities will bring or about future career aims.
Job done.

Good short film here about 'Do's and Don'ts of PS writing' - the document mentioned at the end is especially useful, it has example PS from many deafferent subjects with what is good/wrong about them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF5-vnhZRx8
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Charles second)
I'm still working on my personal statement and I'm still trying to start it.
What degree are you applying for?
Charles second
Rep:
(Original post by PQ)
What degree are you applying for?
Psychology 2+2.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Charles second)
Psychology 2+2.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...onal-statement

Don't worry too much about structure or even full sentences to start with. Just keep jotting down bullet points of things you want to include as you think of them.

Remember with any PS admissions staff are looking to answer 3 questions:
1) does the applicant demonstrate an understanding of what the course applied to involves
2) does the applicant demonstrate an interest and motivation to study this subject for 3+ years
3) does the applicant demonstrate any non-academic skills required to succeed on this course (not relevant for an academic degree like psychology)
Charles second
Rep:
(Original post by PQ)
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...onal-statement

Don't worry too much about structure or even full sentences to start with. Just keep jotting down bullet points of things you want to include as you think of them.

Remember with any PS admissions staff are looking to answer 3 questions:
1) does the applicant demonstrate an understanding of what the course applied to involves
2) does the applicant demonstrate an interest and motivation to study this subject for 3+ years
3) does the applicant demonstrate any non-academic skills required to succeed on this course (not relevant for an academic degree like psychology)
Thank you 😊..
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
There is advice for psychology degrees here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6213912
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did the exam go for you?

Great! (9)
16.36%
Quite well (24)
43.64%
Not so good (13)
23.64%
Terrible! (9)
16.36%

Watched Threads