The Student Room Group

how to figure out what career path/job to do ?

i got my results but got a 3 in maths and englglish language and need to go to college to do a btec not sixth form and i need help in that i have no clue what career path to go down as i have no clue what job i would like to do. i am struggling to know what course to do at college as i am not sure what career/job to do in the future so can someone help me plss thanks
Original post by anon1830486
i got my results but got a 3 in maths and englglish language and need to go to college to do a btec not sixth form and i need help in that i have no clue what career path to go down as i have no clue what job i would like to do. i am struggling to know what course to do at college as i am not sure what career/job to do in the future so can someone help me plss thanks

If you've got no idea what career path you want to go down, try to narrow it down based on what you can generally see yourself doing in the future.

Do you see yourself working in an office or similar setting? Or doing more hands-on work?

Do you see yourself working in a creative field? Or something more technical / logical?

Do you see yourself in a job where you work with people a lot? Or just a little, or not at all?

etc. etc. Once you've thought about that, you can look at the courses offered by your local college and narrow them down according to how much that field fits your criteria, and then go from there. Remember that the course you do in college doesn't have to determine what you do later in life.
^^^^^^^^^^thanks this helps ngl never thought of that btw
bump
bump

I think for what you have given, bluebeetle has given a perfect answer so I don't know what more you are looking for. If you were to answer bluebeetle's questions and maybe provide more information about your interests, I'm sure others on TSR and I would be able to suggest some suitable careers and courses.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by bluebeetle
If you've got no idea what career path you want to go down, try to narrow it down based on what you can generally see yourself doing in the future.

Do you see yourself working in an office or similar setting? Or doing more hands-on work?

Do you see yourself working in a creative field? Or something more technical / logical?

Do you see yourself in a job where you work with people a lot? Or just a little, or not at all?

etc. etc. Once you've thought about that, you can look at the courses offered by your local college and narrow them down according to how much that field fits your criteria, and then go from there. Remember that the course you do in college doesn't have to determine what you do later in life.

1) yes and no with working in the office as i like to work with others and so wouldn't like to do construction or bricklayering
2) im not creative myself and not that good with drawing and so would like to work in a logical field more
3) i like to meet new people and like to work in teams as i get comfortable more easier and would wanna work in a team rather then alone

i struggle with maths and don't enjoy it.....
i wanna work and b happy with it as i don't wanna regret it
i was thinking btec business or btec health and social care / btec childcare at college but not sure?
idk but can i do investment banking with btec business or no idk but is there maths in banking ughh>
jj
bump

i made a list of what I wanted out of a career

Wage
Travel
Happiness
Hours
Responsibility
Flexibility
Holidays
Type- etc I knew I wanted to do conservation/something with animals

You could always retake GCSE’s if you needed to
mhmm still struggling what to choose the subject
bum
bump
1) yes and no with working in the office as i like to work with others and so wouldn't like to do construction or bricklayering
2) im not creative myself and not that good with drawing and so would like to work in a logical field more
3) i like to meet new people and like to work in teams as i get comfortable more easier and would wanna work in a team rather then alone

i struggle with maths and don't enjoy it.....
i wanna work and b happy with it as i don't wanna regret it
i was thinking btec business or btec health and social care / btec childcare at college but not sure?

Have you considered nursing? It isn't an office job but still isn't manual labour, you work in close teams, it's more logical than creative (but doesn't involve much mathematics) and you get to meet lots of new people. You could also look into other medical roles such as operating department practitioner, radiologist, dental technician etc. You can get to all of this through a btec in health and social care followed by a degree or a degree apprenticeship.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending