The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

WorkLoad at Durham University Including Holidays

Hi, I recently fell in love with Durham University due to many reasons, and as much as I am a hard worker, I get very anxious and stressed under too much of a work load. I was firstly wondering what the workload is like compared to other unis (York, Bristol, Cambridge), as well what the workload is like during holidays? (Xmas, Summer Etc), as this information I can not seem to find anywhere and I would like to have a holiday where I can get a job, travel as well as learn about things more independently. The course I am looking at is Combined Honours in Social Sciences (EG International Relations, politics, anthropology, sociology) and my predicted grades are A*A*A*, with all 9s at GCSE, thanks!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I recently fell in love with Durham University due to many reasons, and as much as I am a hard worker, I get very anxious and stressed under too much of a work load. I was firstly wondering what the workload is like compared to other unis (York, Bristol, Cambridge), as well what the workload is like during holidays? (Xmas, Summer Etc), as this information I can not seem to find anywhere and I would like to have a holiday where I can get a job, travel as well as learn about things more independently. The course I am looking at is Combined Honours in Social Sciences (EG International Relations, politics, anthropology, sociology) and my predicted grades are A*A*A*, with all 9s at GCSE, thanks!

It's hard to compare workloads across unis because most people have only done a undergraduate degree at one...Durham has a lesser workload at Christmas than some since we don't (generally) have January exams like many do (eg. York, Southampton etc.) I imagine those subject areas would set summative essays over Christmas though (essays which count towards your end of year mark), so that's not to say there won't be anything. A lot of people do work over the holidays though so it's not too bad to balance :smile:
Over Easter can vary a bit more, Durham is good in that it finishes all teaching for exams prior to Easter so you don't come back and do any more learning (eg. like York), and we get 5 weeks which is a good amount of time. Exams are only 2 weeks after we go back though and in final year dissertations are often due around then too so again there's still a certain amount of work.
Over the summer there's nothing usually, lots of people do internships/travelling/jobs etc. so definitely plenty of time for all that then :smile:
I can't really answer for social sciences (I'm a maths student) but if you have any other questions then feel free to ask and I'll do my best!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Lemur14
It's hard to compare workloads across unis because most people have only done a undergraduate degree at one...Durham has a lesser workload at Christmas than some since we don't (generally) have January exams like many do (eg. York, Southampton etc.) I imagine those subject areas would set summative essays over Christmas though (essays which count towards your end of year mark), so that's not to say there won't be anything. A lot of people do work over the holidays though so it's not too bad to balance :smile:
Over Easter can vary a bit more, Durham is good in that it finishes all teaching for exams prior to Easter so you don't come back and do any more learning (eg. like York), and we get 5 weeks which is a good amount of time. Exams are only 2 weeks after we go back though and in final year dissertations are often due around then too so again there's still a certain amount of work.
Over the summer there's nothing usually, lots of people do internships/travelling/jobs etc. so definitely plenty of time for all that then :smile:
I can't really answer for social sciences (I'm a maths student) but if you have any other questions then feel free to ask and I'll do my best!

Wow thank you so much, this was honestly exactly the information I was looking for! I don’t mind the Christmas and Easter work, but it’s so great that during the summer you have to time to do other things. My one question, is do you mean that you get a whole 5 week Easter holiday? Thank you so much!
Original post by Anonymous
Wow thank you so much, this was honestly exactly the information I was looking for! I don’t mind the Christmas and Easter work, but it’s so great that during the summer you have to time to do other things. My one question, is do you mean that you get a whole 5 week Easter holiday? Thank you so much!

You're expected to prepare for exams / start summatives over Easter (depending on how the given module is assessed). Nevertheless, the work load is very manageable and if you've met the entry requirements you shouldn't have any problems. Stay on top of your work and you'll be fine, with plenty of time for other things.

Quick Reply

Latest