The Student Room Group

Is there gonna be more competition this year for University places?

Looking at population pyramids I think there's around 20,000 more people in the to-be Y13 (or equiv) year group in the UK anyway so there was always going to be more competition regardless of deferrals. Though aren't universities increasing their amount of places each year?
Original post by flaurie
Looking at population pyramids I think there's around 20,000 more people in the to-be Y13 (or equiv) year group in the UK anyway so there was always going to be more competition regardless of deferrals. Though aren't universities increasing their amount of places each year?

I'm not too sure about that. I'm sure that those who got better grades than expected this year are going to apply for 2022 entry which would make it much more competitive for us 2022 applicants. I am curious to know how many international students will apply for 2022 entry, I'm assuming there'll be less because of covid but I can't see any reason for that to happen.
(edited 2 years ago)
An extra 10 students is an exempt £100,000pa income. Universities can increase capacity with extra staff if they have time to plan for increases. The problem will be if the extra intake in 2020 and 2021 in some universities will put too much pressure on space to keep those increases long term - it takes longer than a year or two to build new teaching buildings
Original post by Throwaway48
I'm not too sure about that. I'm sure that those who got better grades than expected this year are going to apply for 2022 entry which would make it much more competitive for us 2022 applicants. I am curious to know how many international students will apply for 2022 entry, I'm assuming there'll be less because of covid but I can't see any reason for that to happen.

If they got higher grades then I'd assume most would have gone through clearing or adjustment this summer though?
Original post by flaurie

i always think that if oxford and cambridge had like 9,000 place and they were 9,100 real;ly smart people how they choose which 100 would miss out?
Original post by Wise Goldie
i always think that if oxford and cambridge had like 9,000 place and they were 9,100 real;ly smart people how they choose which 100 would miss out?

that's why they interview - they look for applicants who will thrive in the sort of small group teaching that they offer a lot of. Not every smart person suits that way of learning.
IMO Unis will adapt

As a tutor at a large Uni the constraints we have (in common with many other unis) is space more than staff. Lecture hall size can be a constraint but seminars need more staff / rooms

An example, a few years ago our Bus and Mgt programmes used to aim at 300 enrolments as that was the capacity of largest lecture theatre. It was decided to run the lecture twice, and we could go to 600. With Covid I expect Unis to be more creative with the remote offering and lecture theatre capacity is less of a concern

For Seminars, two things that Unis do (i) take on more zero hours tutors or give the good ones more hours (ii) extend the teaching hours in to late afternoon / evening

Combining the two can quickly add capacity because the full time staff aren't keen on extending their working day past 4-5pm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending