The Student Room Group

University deferral rates up 12% this year - did you defer your place?

Poll

Did you defer your uni place this year?

https://universitybusiness.co.uk/students/deferral-rates-rise-and-clearing-figures-fall-latest-ucas-data-shows/

Deferral rates this year (where you push back your start date a year) have risen this year by 12% according to data published by UCAS. This only equates to roughly an extra 3,000 places deferred, but is interesting considering there was not as many deferrals last year when things looked like they would be more uncertain.

If you have deferred your place this year, why did you decide to do it?

Was it a pre-planned decision, or something you decided after results day? Did covid impact your decision, or was it something else that sealed the deal?

Also, current Y13's - how do you feel about more people deferring this year?

Let us know your thoughts!
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Obviously it's far from the only cause, but the large incentives provided by some oversubscribed med schools may have something to do with it!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/exeter-university-medicine-accommodation-defer-b1888661.html
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Obviously it's far from the only cause, but the large incentives provided by some oversubscribed med schools may have something to do with it!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/exeter-university-medicine-accommodation-defer-b1888661.html

PRSOM!

Agree, if the government is offering you 10k to defer a year, you can imagine a lot of students to take that offer, they'd be crazy not to. That's the most logical reason for the rise in deferral this year.

Also another reason might be the fact quite a few universities are still are going to be doing online learning for 2021-2022 which students won't want to pay full fees for, here are all the universities so far for online or blended learning: https://www.studentcrowd.com/article/university-responses-to-covid-19
Original post by astronerd
Agree, if the government is offering you 10k to defer a year, you can imagine a lot of students to take that offer, they'd be crazy not to. That's the most logical reason for the rise in deferral this year.

Also another reason might be the fact quite a few universities are still are going to be doing online learning for 2021-2022 which students won't want to pay full fees for, here are all the universities so far for online or blended learning: https://www.studentcrowd.com/article/university-responses-to-covid-19

I think online/blended learning is here for good, to be honest. It's cheaper for unis, more flexible for studnets, and allows unis to use parts of their buildings for more proffitable activities year round.

I do think people who defer for a year expecting everything to be "back to normal" next year in terms of no blended learning may find themselves disappointed.

Another factor around deferrals might be those chosing to appeal/resit- I think some unis have offered defered places around this.
I think online/blended learning is here for good, to be honest. It's cheaper for unis, more flexible for studnets, and allows unis to use parts of their buildings for more proffitable activities year round.

I do think people who defer for a year expecting everything to be "back to normal" next year in terms of no blended learning may find themselves disappointed.

Another factor around deferrals might be those chosing to appeal/resit- I think some unis have offered defered places around this.

Again I agree, however tuition fees should technically decrease if blended learning does stay for the long-term. Nine grand is simply not a justifiable amount to pay for online/blended learning. Students waiting might get disappointed, but probably more angry that the government hasn't done anything to compensate their 'no-longer on-campus learning', (and by compensate I mean reducing their fees).

Students should go uni anyways, especially if you're doing a STEM subject, a year out isn't always best. Blended learning and remote working is the future 100%.
The vast majority of deferral requests that I have received this year are from international students who are concerned about safety with regards to COVID. Obviously there might be an element of using that reason to keeping multiple options open, but most of the requests look genuine to me.

One student even specifically credited the incompetence of the UK government, which you know, fair play :smile:
Original post by astronerd
Again I agree, however tuition fees should technically decrease if blended learning does stay for the long-term. Nine grand is simply not a justifiable amount to pay for online/blended learning. Students waiting might get disappointed, but probably more angry that the government hasn't done anything to compensate their 'no-longer on-campus learning', (and by compensate I mean reducing their fees).

Students should go uni anyways, especially if you're doing a STEM subject, a year out isn't always best. Blended learning and remote working is the future 100%.

I think for blended learning it probably is justifiable. £9000 doesn't cover the costs of running a lot of courses, especially STEM ones. The problem is, if the government asked unis to reduce their fees, they'd make this clear, and that would create a difficult position for the government.

Right now, a lot unis rely on cheaper humanities courses to subsidise STEM courses which are more costly to run. And the government don't want to admit their funding model is ****ed and unsustainable.

FWIW, I don't believe many unis mind a year out, for subjects other than maths, and some explicitly encourage it for e.g. engineering. The aditional maturity can also help students a lot.

Personally, I think students should do whatever they feel is best for them.

Original post by Admit-One
The vast majority of deferral requests that I have received this year are from international students who are concerned about safety with regards to COVID. Obviously there might be an element of using that reason to keeping multiple options open, but most of the requests look genuine to me.

One student even specifically credited the incompetence of the UK government, which you know, fair play :smile:

I mean, I think that's completely valid. Also, knowing you'd either struggle to get home or spend most of the holidays in quarentine due to covid has to be offputting.
I mean, I think that's completely valid. Also, knowing you'd either struggle to get home or spend most of the holidays in quarentine due to covid has to be offputting.

International travel during a pandemic + quarantine + blended learning for term 1 + uncertainty about UK's handling of pandemic. I wouldn't exactly be chomping at the bit myself tbh.
I had finally settled on going this year, and then I got an email this afternoon offering £5k to defer.

Pros of deferring: get by first job, learn how to drive, get healthy before uni, get ahead of reading, possible that they may have spaces for the course I'd prefer next year (they don't currently), and now the £5k.

Cons: feeling left behind and FOMO, continuing to be long distance with my boyfriend who I'm very attached to, getting out of an academic routine, if I decide I don't like my uni/course and want to reapply then I'll be two years behind everyone else.

I think I just want to get stuck in and give it my best go. I don't know if I'd stick to some of the things on my "pros" list, and I'd rather know now if I want to be reapplying. £5k is a lot of money on the one hand but I don't want to let it sway me because it's not even a year of accommodation.
I'm in year 13 and I feel a little bit worried about increased competition. nothing major tho :yy:
Original post by Obolinda
I'm in year 13 and I feel a little bit worried about increased competition. nothing major tho :yy:

Same here :smile: but I think I’d have felt a bit nervous about competition either way
can’t believe we’re in year 13 now though :eek4:

Same here. More competition for us but I've been preparing for about a year now. Just worried about how our grades are gonna stack up against the re-applicants because of grade inflation. Also, we didn't sit our GCSE exams so they might be sceptical about our grades and I've seen a lot of people in our year with really high GCSE grades.
(edited 2 years ago)
Yeah, likewise lots of questions about what the teaching will look like this year. "Well here's what we're planning for week 1, but after that we'll see what happens" apparently isn't confidence inspiring.
Original post by _Mia101
Same here :smile: but I think I’d have felt a bit nervous about competition either way
can’t believe we’re in year 13 now though :eek4:

I know :colondollar:

Hope you select Cambridge as one of your 5 choices, if you are leaning towards going to University. Good luck.
Original post by ashtolga23
I had finally settled on going this year, and then I got an email this afternoon offering £5k to defer.

Pros of deferring: get by first job, learn how to drive, get healthy before uni, get ahead of reading, possible that they may have spaces for the course I'd prefer next year (they don't currently), and now the £5k.

Cons: feeling left behind and FOMO, continuing to be long distance with my boyfriend who I'm very attached to, getting out of an academic routine, if I decide I don't like my uni/course and want to reapply then I'll be two years behind everyone else.

I think I just want to get stuck in and give it my best go. I don't know if I'd stick to some of the things on my "pros" list, and I'd rather know now if I want to be reapplying. £5k is a lot of money on the one hand but I don't want to let it sway me because it's not even a year of accommodation.

Yes exactly. I was offered 10k to defer next year and i really want to do it. However, I'm really struggling to find work experience and things to do to fill up that year. I applied to do law, and most internships are down in london or they want you to be in your final year of your law degree or its just summer schemes or online. I have found a volunteering opportunity to do with law but it just requires one day a week and with virtual experience i can do both these things whilst I'm at uni. And most gap year schemes to go abroad have closed their deadlines so im a bit stuck.
Everything i've seen on gap years has been so positive, its like 'yeah! Do it, it'll change your life, you'll really get to know yourself and find out your true purpose and go back to uni with a determined mindset.' And my god would i love to do it but i think I'll really struggle to make the gap year worthwhile and regret the whole thing. So for that reason, i think I'm going to start in September.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Admit-One
International travel during a pandemic + quarantine + blended learning for term 1 + uncertainty about UK's handling of pandemic. I wouldn't exactly be chomping at the bit myself tbh.

No, completely- and you don't know what's going to happen over the winter, either. I'd certainly be looking at the number of cases in the UK + number of hospitalisations, and feel potentially concerned by the situation over the winter and getting stuck in the UK with a rappidly worsening Covid situation. That's worst case scenario, obviously, but it's likely enough to be offputting.

Original post by ashtolga23

As someone who went to uni 2 years late, I honestly wouldn't worry about that- it's not as uncommon as people think, and I still had an amazing time.

On the other hand, if you weren't thinking of deferring before, and the 5k won't make a huge difference to your quality of life, then I'd try not to be too swayed by it.

Original post by notonthehighroad
Yes exactly. I was offered 10k to defer next year and i really want to do it. However, I'm really struggling to find work experience and things to do to fill up that year. I applied to do law, and most internships are down in london or they want you to be in your final year of your law degree or its just summer schemes or online. I have found a volunteering opportunity to do with law but it just requires one day a week and with virtual experience i can do both these things whilst I'm at uni. And most gap year schemes to go abroad have closed their deadlines so im a bit stuck.
Everything i've seen on gap years has been so positive, its like 'yeah! Do it, it'll change your life, you'll really get to know yourself and find out your true purpose and go back to uni with a determined mindset.' And my god would i love to do it but i think I'll really struggle to make the gap year worthwhile and regret the whole thing. So for that reason, i think I'm going to start in September.

I think finding volunteer/internship opportunities like this can be really tricky, and obviously options like travelling are more difficult right now. However, I do think there are lots of great things you can do on a gap year, and I wouldn't necessarily be put off if you can't find the right opportunities right now- things will come up throughout the year and if you want to make it work, you will make it worthwhile.

I saw the headline and instantly thought of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tngJfp62-s&t=359s
- Me: What?!
- Deferrer: Hey 10K and a free place to stay sounds like a deal to me!
Original post by glodigit
I saw the headline and instantly thought of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tngJfp62-s&t=359s
- Me: What?!
- Deferrer: Hey 10K and a free place to stay sounds like a deal to me!

thats the catch though, its 5k this year and then the remaining 5k next year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending