The Student Room Group

Personal statement assistance

Hello,

I am currently working on my Personal Statement for 2022 entry at UCL, KCL etc.

It would be great to know if there is any educational assistance which can help me to hone it.

If so, has anyone else worked with them before? What is the price range for their services?
There are a number of paid for services but I can't vouch for their cost or quality. TSR has a free PS review service - for more info check here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4237154
At least you started a personal statement. Dont even know what I am doing in uni tbh
Reply 3
Original post by GST1_m4n543
At least you started a personal statement. Dont even know what I am doing in uni tbh

why is that?
Reply 4
I am currently working on my ps for the 2022 entry which I ll submit to Russell Group unis

If anyone has been in this exact position before, what was the structure you have used in your ps?

I am being indecisive about the order of the extracurriculars, work experience etc.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Nicola910
Original post by GST1_m4n543

why is that?

I don't know bro. I have no clue what I want to do in uni
I am currently working on my ps for the 2022 entry which I ll submit to Russell Group unis

If anyone has been in this exact position before, what was the structure you have used in your ps?

I am being indecisive about the order of the extracurriculars, work experience etc.

I think it could depend on the type of course youre applying too…. Work experience would matter more for practical subjects eg medicine etc, but less so for humanities ?
There are a few guides on Youtube on how to layout a PS
Reply 7
Original post by gracieex
I think it could depend on the type of course youre applying too…. Work experience would matter more for practical subjects eg medicine etc, but less so for humanities ?
There are a few guides on Youtube on how to layout a PS

I see, thank you so much
I have previously watched several yt videos but just needed more info
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
I see, thank you so much
I have previously watched several yt videos but just needed more info

What course are you applying for? As said above, it'll allow people to give more specific advice about how to balance things.

Also, TSR has some sample personal statements by subject here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/personal-statements/personal-statements-by-subject
Reply 9

Depends on what you're applying for but generally:

1. An opening paragraph (like a thesis statement) just an introduction, showing your passion for your subject

2. Why the course is right for you and why you are perfect for the course, you have to show your enthusiasm + knowledge of what the degree and career entails + ability for this degree - this would be your main body/paragraphs of your PS. But you must show not tell, so you can write about:

- your work experiences/placements (Reflect. What you did isn't the most important, what you learnt about the career itself or yourself etc. is important.)

- perhaps any books you've read / any programmes you've attended and reflect on these (what you learnt or how it has reaffirmed your choice to study what you're applying for)

- if you haven't got much experience, you could also write about relevant subjects you study at A-Level and transferable skills you've picked up from it which will be useful to you in this degree (e.g. problem solving if you study maths)

- adding to the point above, perhaps add in extracurriculars/sport and what skills you've gained from there (teamwork?) and why these specific skills are important - you probably won't have space for this esp for heavily academic subjects and that's okay, it is not necessary but shows you as a well-rounded student.

3. And ending paragraph, again with enthusiasm for your field and a positive optimistic view for the future studying and having this career.
(edited 2 years ago)
Write however you want to, it's your personal statement.
Reply 11

"I'll" be more worried about your spellings and grammar than "structure"
Original post by MAG75
"I'll" be more worried about your spellings and grammar than "structure"

why? A standard spellcheck would pick up on the sort of typos that creep into a TSR post (and most universities don't read a PS looking for SPaG :smile: )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending