A*s In My Eyes: A Y12 GYG

Watch
Flobro
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi and welcome to my first GYG! :ciao:
My name is Flo, and as the title suggests, I'm about to start year 12. I've never done a gyg or any sort of blog before so this is a little daunting, but I'm hoping it'll help me keep on top of my revision and goals as I work towards my a levels.

I'm actually really excited to start sixth form. Three months is a very long summer holiday, especially when I spent most of that time nervously waiting for my GCSE results! I think going from not really having any commitments to studying for four a levels is going to be a bit of a challenge to begin with, but I really enjoyed the subjects I'm taking last year and already starting looking at some a level content to get a bit of a head start, so I'll probably be okay. I'm staying on at my secondary school's sixth form so I should know quite a lot of people in my year already, but it'll be great to meet some new people as well.

About Me:
Spoiler:
Show

I'm 16 and from Hampshire in southern England. I like sports, especially cycling and running, and I also recently started playing football. I love listening to music too (my favourite band is Bon Jovi).

My GCSE Grades:
Spoiler:
Show

Maths - 9
Statistics - 9
English Language - 8 + Distinction
English Literature - 8
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
Geography - 9
French - 9 + Distinction
Art - 6
Dance - 6
Citizenship - 9

My A Levels:
Spoiler:
Show

I'm taking:

Maths (Edexcel)
Further Maths (Edexcel)
Physics (Edexcel)
Chemistry (OCR B (Salters))

A lot of people think I'm a bit mad when I say these are the subjects I'm taking, but they were my favourite and strongest subjects last year, and I don't really see myself taking anything else. I couldn't stand essay subjects at GCSE!

Plans for the Future:
Spoiler:
Show

After sixth form, I'm hoping to go to university and study a maths, science or engineering based subject. At the moment I think I'd really like to go to Imperial, but it's insanely competitive so I know I'm going to have to work really hard over the next couple of years to have a chance of getting in.

I think that's everything for now, I'll probably update this after my first day back and then do weekly updates from there. If you want a tag let me know I guess! :party:
Cupcakes12
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Maths and further maths are great subjects!! What options for applied maths in further maths are you taking (if you know that yet lol)?

Please tag me, and if you're interested my year 13 GYG is here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=7082983
sadforsadboys
Badges: 18
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi Flo - please tag me, I'd love to follow along!
Flobro
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cupcakes12)
Maths and further maths are great subjects!! What options for applied maths in further maths are you taking (if you know that yet lol)?

Please tag me, and if you're interested my year 13 GYG is here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=7082983
Hi, I'd love to be tagged in your gyg! I'll add you to my taglist too

I'm not sure which applied options I'll be taking yet, I don't start further content until year 13 but hopefully I'll find out when I start lessons next week.
Flobro
Rep:
?
(Original post by sadforsadboys)
Hi Flo - please tag me, I'd love to follow along!
Will do
Last edited by Flobro; 1 month ago
Cupcakes12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Flobro)
Hi, I'd love to be tagged in your gyg! I'll add you to my taglist too

I'm not sure which applied options I'll be taking yet, I don't start further content until year 13 but hopefully I'll find out when I start lessons next week.
Oh alot of schools do it that way because it actually makes alot more sense. We've been taught regular maths in further maths lessons so we can understand the further content and then we get to that topic in maths and we're all just there like we know this all already.
sadforsadboys
?
Report 1 month ago
Will do
I also have a study blog, would you like tagged?
flaurie
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ooh good luck! Can I be added to the tag list please?
Flobro
Rep:
?
(Original post by sadforsadboys)
I also have a study blog, would you like tagged?
Yes please, that'd be great
Flobro
Rep:
?
(Original post by flaurie)
Ooh good luck! Can I be added to the tag list please?
Yes of course
ConfusedDemon
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Congrats on the amazing GCSE results!

Spoiler:
Show
may i be added on the tag list?
Flobro
Rep:
?
(Original post by ConfusedDemon)
Congrats on the amazing GCSE results!

Spoiler:
Show
may i be added on the tag list?
Thank you so much! And yes I'll add you to the taglist
Wise Goldie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi and welcome to my first GYG! :ciao:
My name is Flo, and as the title suggests, I'm about to start year 12. I've never done a gyg or any sort of blog before so this is a little daunting, but I'm hoping it'll help me keep on top of my revision and goals as I work towards my a levels.

I'm actually really excited to start sixth form. Three months is a very long summer holiday, especially when I spent most of that time nervously waiting for my GCSE results! I think going from not really having any commitments to studying for four a levels is going to be a bit of a challenge to begin with, but I really enjoyed the subjects I'm taking last year and already starting looking at some a level content to get a bit of a head start, so I'll probably be okay. I'm staying on at my secondary school's sixth form so I should know quite a lot of people in my year already, but it'll be great to meet some new people as well.

About Me:
Spoiler:
Show

I'm 16 and from Hampshire in southern England. I like sports, especially cycling and running, and I also recently started playing football. I love listening to music too (my favourite band is Bon Jovi).

My GCSE Grades:
Spoiler:
Show

Maths - 9
Statistics - 9
English Language - 8 + Distinction
English Literature - 8
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
Geography - 9
French - 9 + Distinction
Art - 6
Dance - 6
Citizenship - 9

My A Levels:
Spoiler:
Show

I'm taking:

Maths (Edexcel)
Further Maths (Edexcel)
Physics (Edexcel)
Chemistry (OCR B (Salters))

A lot of people think I'm a bit mad when I say these are the subjects I'm taking, but they were my favourite and strongest subjects last year, and I don't really see myself taking anything else. I couldn't stand essay subjects at GCSE!

Plans for the Future:
Spoiler:
Show

After sixth form, I'm hoping to go to university and study a maths, science or engineering based subject. At the moment I think I'd really like to go to Imperial, but it's insanely competitive so I know I'm going to have to work really hard over the next couple of years to have a chance of getting in.

I think that's everything for now, I'll probably update this after my first day back and then do weekly updates from there. If you want a tag let me know I guess! :party:
good luck
Flobro
Rep:
?
Update 1: 12/09/21

So this is my first update! I was planning on writing this after my first day of a levels on Monday, but it's been a pretty hectic week so better late than never I guess. I got my timetable and met everyone in my tutor group last Friday, as we had a sort of induction morning before starting lessons properly. I have 9 hours per fortnight of teaching for each subject, and 18 for maths as we have to cover the whole a level in one year before starting further next year. I also have two teachers for each subject so we can cover two topics off the spec at the same time. This is my timetable:

Name:  IMG_20210908_182740_099.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  90.1 KB

I'm going to do a little section on each subject in every update, so I'll put that here.

Maths:

This has started off quite basic, just recapping a few GCSE topics mainly. We had a test in our first lesson to see where everyone was at, and then covered indices and expanding and factorising for pure and types of data, averages and sampling for stats. I got 91% on the test, was a bit annoyed as I made a couple of really silly errors but we were told anything above 50% was fine so I'm not too worried. We were also told that when we do further maths next year we'll study two mechanics modules as our optional modules, so it'll be 50% pure and 50% mechanics.

Physics:

We're going to start off with mechanics and electricity in a couple of weeks, but at the moment we're doing an introductory project on practical skills and recording our results, so we've looked at graphs, uncertainty and measuring with micrometers and vernier callipers.

Chemistry:

I'd say this has been my most interesting subject so far, but also the most difficult. We're studying Developing Fuels and Elements of Life to begin with. In EoL we looked at electron configuration, which I'd self studied a bit over the summer as I knew it was very different to how we were taught it at GCSE. In DF we did cycloalkanes and naming organic compounds, found naming the compounds a bit confusing to begin with but I'm getting my head round it now.

To Do List:

* Maths - questions from the textbook on indices, expanding and factorising (done)
* Physics - notes and definitions for practical skills (done)
* Physics - derived formulae (to do)
* Chemistry - electron configuration sheet (done)
* Chemistry - questions on organic (to do)

Everything Else:

All in all I'd say I've had a really busy but also productive week. All my study periods are frees for the first two weeks, so when I haven't had any homework to do I've been able to get to know some of the new people in my year which has been good. I've also been back at dance and football in a couple of the evenings and loved that.

Tags:

Cupcakes12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is it a bit of a shock having all that maths? lol I find so much maths quite intense. Also I just noticed the triple maths on a Thursday!!!!

Also 2 mechanics modules sounds scary (I guess if u do physics maybe u won't find it as bad) but at least that's not til next year.

How are u finding settling in and meeting knew people so far?

All the best and I'm excited for your GYG journey!!
sadforsadboys
?
Report 1 month ago
Is it a bit of a shock having all that maths? lol I find so much maths quite intense. Also I just noticed the triple maths on a Thursday!!!!
"Hey kids, I heard you like maths."
Flobro
Rep:
?

Also 2 mechanics modules sounds scary (I guess if u do physics maybe u won't find it as bad) but at least that's not til next year.

How are u finding settling in and meeting knew people so far?

All the best and I'm excited for your GYG journey!!
It is a bit of a shock, definitely very different to having so many different subjects at GCSE! But I'm not finding it too bad, enjoying college way more than I did secondary as it's nice to just do the subjects I really like. Double mechanics does sound slightly intimidating but I think it'll be useful for me as I might want to do physics or engineering at uni, not fully sure about that yet though.

Settling in's been easier than I thought, it's good having the same sort of interests as people in my classes now and getting to meet people doing different subjects in my tutor group.

Thank you so much and good luck for year 13!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (310)
57.84%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (76)
14.18%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (59)
11.01%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (45)
8.4%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
4.85%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.73%

Watched Threads