The Student Room Group

GCSE notes for Sciences

So when I usually revise for End of Year exams, my revision is just basically writing out the notes from my textbook and I retain that knowledge easily for about 3 months. When I’m not taking, I’m basically copying out my textbook since I find that everything is necessary in it and there’s no excess and useless info to take out (I obviously summarise the info into bullet points). Therefore, for my sciences anyway, is there a point in note taking or should I just read the textbook and write the stuff I remembers on scrap paper as active recall. At this point, note taking seems like a waste of time when the textbook has all the refined info I need?
It’s better to do exam questions to see what your weaknesses are and apply knowledge especially for science and maths
Reply 2
Original post by Student5cience
It’s better to do exam questions to see what your weaknesses are and apply knowledge especially for science and maths

I’m asking if making science notes is useful, or should I revise straight from the textbooks
Original post by Aserace
I’m asking if making science notes is useful, or should I revise straight from the textbooks

For all of GCSE and A level, I didn’t make one single note for sciences. (Maybe only during class so I kept engaged.)

We all have different ways that we learn and mine was by simply learning through flashcards. It helped me to test myself. I found it actually to be scientifically proven to be the most effective way of revising. You won’t have your notes in your exam so practicing retrieving information will really give you an advantage in the exam.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest