mdbdidjdksnd
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
In my ucat I got 2700 overall and a band 3 in sjt. I’m okay with my overall score although I could’ve done better but worried about my sjt band 3. Are uni’s harsh on band 3? my predicted A level’s are A*AA. I really want to do dentistry at kings college or queen mary. does the band 3 ruin my chances? are there any uni’s that don’t consider sjt much?
Last edited by mdbdidjdksnd; 4 weeks ago
wibblewobble79
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey, there's a thread here which might be useful as it seems that a few people are in the same position as you: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6668626

I've done a bit of research online and it seems that lots of unis reject band 4 (so you're safe) and some unis allocate a certain amount of points to your SJT score and combine this score with your interview score. I think you'll be okay to be honest. I got exactly the same UCAT and SJT as you last year actually but I applied to medical school which was a bit different but I still ended up with one offer!

All the best!
mdbdidjdksnd
Rep:
?
thank you! i’ll check out that thread. yeah i found out they combine it with your interview. but when I was researching I found out on the FOI website that apparently queen mary doesn’t accept band 3 can I ask which unis rejected you because of the ucat so I don’t apply there. did you apply to queen mary or kcl for medicine? I really want to go there
wibblewobble79
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mdbdidjdksnd)
thank you! i’ll check out that thread. yeah i found out they combine it with your interview. but when I was researching I found out on the FOI website that apparently queen mary doesn’t accept band 3 can I ask which unis rejected you because of the ucat so I don’t apply there. did you apply to queen mary or kcl for medicine? I really want to go there
Yeah of course! I'm not sure if it was entirely because of my band 3 because it may have partly been due to my personal statement but it was: Sheffield, Glasgow and Exeter! I think Exeter was because my grades weren't high enough and I think Scottish unis accepted fewer English applicants this year. I didn't apply for Queen Mary of KCL so I'm sorry that I can't help you with those ones!
mxrixm
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i got band 3 and 2600 - is this even good enough to get in to any school and if so which ones
mdbdidjdksnd
Rep:
?
(Original post by wibblewobble79)
Yeah of course! I'm not sure if it was entirely because of my band 3 because it may have partly been due to my personal statement but it was: Sheffield, Glasgow and Exeter! I think Exeter was because my grades weren't high enough and I think Scottish unis accepted fewer English applicants this year. I didn't apply for Queen Mary of KCL so I'm sorry that I can't help you with those ones!
Thank you so much! I was thinking of applying to Sheffield too but I don’t think I will anymore because it’s quite risky with the band 3.
mdbdidjdksnd
Rep:
?
(Original post by mxrixm)
i got band 3 and 2600 - is this even good enough to get in to any school and if so which ones
Yeah i’m pretty sure it is. If you go to medicmind, they have lots of examples of unis that you can apply to based on your ucat score. You could even try unis that don’t focus on the ucat much
mxrixm
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
which universities are best to apply to with a low ucat??
Strawberry33
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Could you tell me what unis are the best choices for me to apply with my stats?
Predictions: 4 A*s
GCSEs: 9999999988
UCAT: 2920 Band 3
Vr- 510
Ar- 860
Qr- 860
Dm- 690
I am also planning on taking the BMAT
Work experience: volunteering at the hospital, virtual gp placement, virtual clinic placement, and volunteering at the charity shop
I have also attended super curricular courses for medicine at different
unis
I am thinking of applying at -
- University of Glasgow
- Dundee University
- Kings
- Birmingham
- Newcastle

Thank you!
bruh15
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Strawberry33)
Could you tell me what unis are the best choices for me to apply with my stats?
Predictions: 4 A*s
GCSEs: 9999999988
UCAT: 2920 Band 3
Vr- 510
Ar- 860
Qr- 860
Dm- 690
I am also planning on taking the BMAT
Work experience: volunteering at the hospital, virtual gp placement, virtual clinic placement, and volunteering at the charity shop
I have also attended super curricular courses for medicine at different
unis
I am thinking of applying at -
- University of Glasgow
- Dundee University
- Kings
- Birmingham
- Newcastle

Thank you!
Your ucat is really high, well done!. i got band 3 too and researched and found out that most uni's use it with the interview so I think you can really apply anywhere as long as you ace the interview. But I'm not an expert so don't rely on me. Bristol doesn't use sjt at all so you have a big chance of getting accepted. Try posting your stats on this thread https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...7102578&page=6 . They give more helpful advice.
Strawberry33
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by bruh15)
Your ucat is really high, well done!. i got band 3 too and researched and found out that most uni's use it with the interview so I think you can really apply anywhere as long as you ace the interview. But I'm not an expert so don't rely on me. Bristol doesn't use sjt at all so you have a big chance of getting accepted. Try posting your stats on this thread https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...7102578&page=6 . They give more helpful advice.
Thank you! I’ve posted it there
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (125)
86.81%
No (19)
13.19%

Watched Threads