Marking my AQA A-Level Psychology 8-Marker: Wundt

Watch
TickTockTeo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I was wondering if someone could mark my psychology answer on Wundt; evaluating him is a bit weird for me.

Wundt had an important role in the emergence of psychology as a science.

Firstly, Wundt published the first book about psychology and built the first lab. The book was called Principles of Physiological Psychology (1873-4) and served to be a textbook for students to learn about psychology from. The lab, which was built in 1875, served to be a controlled location for researchers to study behaviour using Wundt's structuralist approach to psychology. This helped the emergence of psychology as a science by allowing people to learn and study it, soon making it into a possible field to study in University.

Secondly, Wundt employed a structuralist approach to psychology which set the tone for psychology to be a science. A key facet of science is to control confounding variables so it does not impact the study and Wundt's approach focused on controlling this. For example, he would use a standard stimulus (often a metronome) and let participants openly say what sensations this aroused in them (introspection) in a controlled laboratory. This decreases the impact confounding variables had on people, making it fit into the criteria of what a 'science should be' which led to it emerging as a science because other academics saw it was empirical like other sciences.

One strength of Wundt's approach is that its use of a controlled environment is still used today. Laboratory experiments are used in most approaches to psychology, such as the behaviourist approach, because it controls confounding variables better than other types of studies can (i.e. case studies) thus giving the research a high internal validity. This is a strength of Wundt's role because it suggests that his influence lead to psychology being a science as casual relationships could be formed, not just correlational relationships, mirroring that of disciplines like chemistry and giving greater strength in the applications of psychological studies like for psychotherapy.

One weakness of Wundt's role was that his methods were subjective. For example, Wundt could not know if a participant lied to him because their thought was embarrassing, causing them to alter it due to social desirability bias. The behaviourist approach rejects studying unobservable cognitive processes, which is what Wundt focused on using introspection, because of the subjectivity and uncertainty involved. This gives Wundt's role to psychology less impact as, due to this reducing the internal validity of his studies, we have no idea how accurate his findings are and some psychologists don't use his methods (or anything derived from it) due to this
ashtolga23
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What's the exact question sorry?
TickTockTeo
Rep:
?
(Original post by ashtolga23)
What's the exact question sorry?
Oh sorry i shouldve said

Outline and evaluate Wundt's role in the emergence of psychology as a science
ashtolga23
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think the answer you've written is quite wordy and goes on more than necessary in parts, although that's just my stylistic preference. Do you think you could write it to time?

You have the right idea with the AO3 though, so I wouldn't be too worried. The points are good, again I'm just not 100% about the way they're written in parts. Take this for example: "For example, Wundt could not know if a participant lied to him because their thought was embarrassing, causing them to alter it due to social desirability bias." It makes it sound a bit too limited, as if this is the only example there could be. I don't know if that's just me to be fair, but I thought it was longwinded and I had to read over it a few times. I would just go with something like "For example, if a participant felt their thought was embarrassing, they may alter it or lie due to social desirability bias without Wundt realising." Have a think about this yourself, but I just think it flows better.

I hope you don't mind but I thought I'd rewrite your opening to show you how I would recommend doing it, so you're not wasting time or ruining the flow. I'll quote your original post so you can see the comparison as well, but with the addition of the question you've mentioned since.

(Original post by TickTockTeo)
Outline and evaluate Wundt's role in the emergence of psychology as a science. (8 marks, I'd assume)
Wundt had an important role in the emergence of psychology as a science.

Firstly, Wundt published the first book about psychology and built the first lab. The book was called Principles of Physiological Psychology (1873-4) and served to be a textbook for students to learn about psychology from. The lab, which was built in 1875, served to be a controlled location for researchers to study behaviour using Wundt's structuralist approach to psychology. This helped the emergence of psychology as a science by allowing people to learn and study it, soon making it into a possible field to study in University.
Wundt's role was an important one, as he published the first book of psychology (Principles of Physiological Psychology) which then served as a textbook for students of the discipline. He also built the first lab in 1875, which served to be a controlled location for researchers to study behaviour using Wundt's structuralist approach to psychology. This helped the emergence of psychology as a science by allowing people to learn about it, soon making it into a possible field to study in university, which allowed for further research and development.

Okay, so, notice how I removed the first sentence? There's a compulsion to write some kind of small introduction like that, but it just wastes time, so I'd advocate for diving straight in. I also tried to streamline the next bit; I'm not even sure you need the book's name to be honest but if you can remember it in an exam then it could be good to flesh it out and show some A* knowledge (I'm assuming that's realistic for you because the basis of your answer is truly very good). A lot of the next bit was fine to just leave 'as is', but I wanted to make a clearer link back to why this helped it emerge as a science (rather than a subject at university, because philosophy and English are also studied but they're not sciences).

I hope this is helpful! Please ask if you have any questions or if you disagree with anything I've said.
TickTockTeo
Rep:
?
(Original post by ashtolga23)
I think the answer you've written is quite wordy and goes on more than necessary in parts, although that's just my stylistic preference. Do you think you could write it to time?

You have the right idea with the AO3 though, so I wouldn't be too worried. The points are good, again I'm just not 100% about the way they're written in parts. Take this for example: "For example, Wundt could not know if a participant lied to him because their thought was embarrassing, causing them to alter it due to social desirability bias." It makes it sound a bit too limited, as if this is the only example there could be. I don't know if that's just me to be fair, but I thought it was longwinded and I had to read over it a few times. I would just go with something like "For example, if a participant felt their thought was embarrassing, they may alter it or lie due to social desirability bias without Wundt realising." Have a think about this yourself, but I just think it flows better.

I hope you don't mind but I thought I'd rewrite your opening to show you how I would recommend doing it, so you're not wasting time or ruining the flow. I'll quote your original post so you can see the comparison as well, but with the addition of the question you've mentioned since.

Wundt's role was an important one, as he published the first book of psychology (Principles of Physiological Psychology) which then served as a textbook for students of the discipline. He also built the first lab in 1875, which served to be a controlled location for researchers to study behaviour using Wundt's structuralist approach to psychology. This helped the emergence of psychology as a science by allowing people to learn about it, soon making it into a possible field to study in university, which allowed for further research and development.

Okay, so, notice how I removed the first sentence? There's a compulsion to write some kind of small introduction like that, but it just wastes time, so I'd advocate for diving straight in. I also tried to streamline the next bit; I'm not even sure you need the book's name to be honest but if you can remember it in an exam then it could be good to flesh it out and show some A* knowledge (I'm assuming that's realistic for you because the basis of your answer is truly very good). A lot of the next bit was fine to just leave 'as is', but I wanted to make a clearer link back to why this helped it emerge as a science (rather than a subject at university, because philosophy and English are also studied but they're not sciences).

I hope this is helpful! Please ask if you have any questions or if you disagree with anything I've said.
Thank you!
ashtolga23
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TickTockTeo)
Thank you!
No problem. I think you'd probably get a high mark for the content you've provided, I'd just aim to make it more streamlined and more doable under timed conditions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (317)
57.22%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (77)
13.9%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (62)
11.19%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (49)
8.84%
I haven't started researching yet (28)
5.05%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
3.79%

Watched Threads