The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

SOAS BA Korean

Not sure if theres anyone who has an answer for this question, but I was wondering what happens if someone gets put straight into year two after the first year placement test. Is that even possible?
Do I then take all the modules from year one and two as well in one year?
@umbrellala can probably advise.

I imagine you will take the year two language modules alongside the first year non-language modules, and continue on in that trend.

To graduate with a bachelors degree you need 180 ECTS credits as I recall (60 per year; 120 CATS credits alternately), and so if you "skipped" a year you wouldn't have enough credits for a bachelors degree. You would need to fill them with something. Hence I think you just have the language "path" on your degree accelerated while otherwise taking the same modules. Eventually you might end up with more optional modules in final year perhaps (but would still need to fill those options).
(edited 2 years ago)
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Original post by Hope97PK
Not sure if theres anyone who has an answer for this question, but I was wondering what happens if someone gets put straight into year two after the first year placement test. Is that even possible?
Do I then take all the modules from year one and two as well in one year?

Thanks for the tag @artful_lounger :smile:
Yep, it does happen occasionally! This only applies for your main language module though, so you totally skip out the first year language module. It means that for your whole degree you'll be one year ahead of usual in your core language module only, and the rest of the modules have the same progression as normal. I'm not sure what exactly happens in final year, I suppose you might be able to take a masters-level module, or if not you'll most likely take a culture module in its place. Probably best to cross that bridge when you get to it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending