The Student Room Group

A-level option: psychology? (hoping to go into medicine)

Hi!
I was just wondering if medical schools would take psychology, chemistry, and biology seriously as I really like the spec for psychology but I have heard people call it a 'soft' subject before? I have to tell my school my final subjects tomorrow are I'm stressing ahaha so if anyone has any advice that would be amazing :smile:
Thanks so much :smile:)
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Not sure, I think it would be accepted but having biology would benefit you much more. I know a lot of people take bio chem psych or bio chem maths for med
Reply 2
Original post by Labradoodle1
Not sure, I think it would be accepted but having biology would benefit you much more. I know a lot of people take bio chem psych or bio chem maths for med

omg i'm so sorry I meant biology but I must have been distracted or something i accidentally typed maths. So do you think bio, chem, psychology would help me get into a med school like eg. imperial?
Original post by ag.04
Hi!
I was just wondering if medical schools would take psychology, chemistry, and biology seriously as I really like the spec for psychology but I have heard people call it a 'soft' subject before? I have to tell my school my final subjects tomorrow are I'm stressing ahaha so if anyone has any advice that would be amazing :smile:

deffo not a soft subject lol, and med schools are fine with that combo. Goodluck!!
I mean check the requirements just in case but I think with chemistry and biology there you could really take anything as your 3rd (again, not an expert, but I'd assume). Having said this I think psychology is definitely fine. Yeah it's a bit softer but it does slightly relate to medicine because of the link with psychiatry (you even learn about some medicines for treating mental illnesses). I've seen people go for medicine with this combination before and I think as long as the grades are high it's all good.

I hope you find psychology good; I loved it at A-Level if you have any questions!
Reply 5
okay thank you so much :smile:

Original post by sarahjanesmith
deffo not a soft subject lol, and med schools are fine with that combo. Goodluck!!okay
Reply 6
Original post by ashtolga23
I mean check the requirements just in case but I think with chemistry and biology there you could really take anything as your 3rd (again, not an expert, but I'd assume). Having said this I think psychology is definitely fine. Yeah it's a bit softer but it does slightly relate to medicine because of the link with psychiatry (you even learn about some medicines for treating mental illnesses). I've seen people go for medicine with this combination before and I think as long as the grades are high it's all good.

I hope you find psychology good; I loved it at A-Level if you have any questions!

Okay thank you so much I guess if i just make sure my grades are good then hopefully i'll be okay, and yeah i've heard people say its super interesting so I'm excited :smile:
Original post by ag.04
Okay thank you so much I guess if i just make sure my grades are good then hopefully i'll be okay, and yeah i've heard people say its super interesting so I'm excited :smile:

No problem! I definitely think that will be fine, and if the uni websites back that up then I'd go for it.
Original post by ag.04
Hi!

Biology, Chemistry & Psychology is actually a common combination for medical students (apart from the Bio, Chem & Maths which is the standard). Apart from Cambridge, you will be able to apply to any medical school so don’t worry.
Unless the Uni specifies three subjects, then what you take as your 3rd subject doesnt matter - so just choose a subject you will enjoy and where you feel confident of an A grade. Don't worry about it 'matching' your other subjects or 'looking good;. Its the grade the Uni will care about, not the subject.

Applying for Medicine - read it all - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medicine
Reply 10
Original post by ShadowHokage
Biology, Chemistry & Psychology is actually a common combination for medical students (apart from the Bio, Chem & Maths which is the standard). Apart from Cambridge, you will be able to apply to any medical school so don’t worry.

Thanks so much! Reading the replies I think i was stressing for no reason :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by McGinger
Unless the Uni specifies three subjects, then what you take as your 3rd subject doesnt matter - so just choose a subject you will enjoy and where you feel confident of an A grade. Don't worry about it 'matching' your other subjects or 'looking good;. Its the grade the Uni will care about, not the subject.

Applying for Medicine - read it all - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medicine

Okay thank you that makes more sense that they would look at the grade... I think that I'm gonna go for psychology as I think I'd really enjoy it :smile:
Original post by ag.04
Thanks so much! Reading the replies I think i was stressing for no reason :smile:

Don’t worry! I will be applying to study medicine later this year and I study Biology, Chemistry & Psychology (dropped Maths 2 months ago bc I preferred psychology over it) 😁.
Original post by ag.04
Hi!

i take biology,chemistry and psychology for my alevels! I am officially a y13 student and applying for medicine this October. Most universities think of chemistry as a requirement and sometimes biology but the third subject isnt as important. Hope this helped!
You could literally do media studies or film and the medical schools wouldn’t care. If it’s not on the excluded subjects list (usually general studies or critical thinking) then it’s fair game. Do whatever you’re most likely to do well in.
Reply 15
Original post by noorzino
i take biology,chemistry and psychology for my alevels! I am officially a y13 student and applying for medicine this October. Most universities think of chemistry as a requirement and sometimes biology but the third subject isnt as important. Hope this helped!

thank you yes it did help :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Turning_A_Corner
You could literally do media studies or film and the medical schools wouldn’t care. If it’s not on the excluded subjects list (usually general studies or critical thinking) then it’s fair game. Do whatever you’re most likely to do well in.

thank you I think I will take psychology :smile:
Original post by ag.04
thank you I think I will take psychology :smile:

Only do it if you’re genuinely interested in it and I would advise having a fourth subject as a back up in case you end up not liking it, especially if it’s new to you. It is a content heavy subject and if you’re doing two already, you may prefer one that’s less demanding. Contrary to what’s been said here, it is not a soft subject. There’s a lot of memorisation, good marks depend on the level of detail you can recall and then quality of your critical analysis. If you think you might do better with something else, maybe a language you think you could possibly easily pick up without much effort, do this instead. At the end of the day, you need an A and it doesn’t matter what it’s in. Psychology is notorious for catching people off their guard as a subject and it’s rarely what people think it’s going to be.
I’m not saying don’t do it, just go into it with your eyes wide open.
Reply 18
Just thought I’d add that studies show psychology a level actually boosts students’ chances of getting into med school.
Reply 19
Original post by Down_worlder
Just thought I’d add that studies show psychology a level actually boosts students’ chances of getting into med school.

Could you post a link to these studies, please?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending