The Student Room Group

Can i get in to uni with ABC at higher?

Hey everyone, I’m really struggling at the moment with what to do with life I have just gone into S6 and I’m so over high school but don’t know what to do when I leave so I’m just going to stick it out. This year I done worse in my exams that I thought and wasn’t very please with the results I got, but really want to go to uni. I got ABCC this year at higher and struggling to find unis that will accept these grades on UCAS. I was just wondering if it is possible to get into a decent uni with the grades I got? And if you can apply to uni with grades that you do not have yet. For example could I apply to a uni that’s entry requirement is ABBBB but only have ABCC but could potentially get the entry requirements this year after completing S6? Any help would be greatly appreciated, just really stressing out 🙏🏼
Original post by Samsmith666
Hey everyone, I’m really struggling at the moment with what to do with life I have just gone into S6 and I’m so over high school but don’t know what to do when I leave so I’m just going to stick it out. This year I done worse in my exams that I thought and wasn’t very please with the results I got, but really want to go to uni. I got ABCC this year at higher and struggling to find unis that will accept these grades on UCAS. I was just wondering if it is possible to get into a decent uni with the grades I got? And if you can apply to uni with grades that you do not have yet. For example could I apply to a uni that’s entry requirement is ABBBB but only have ABCC but could potentially get the entry requirements this year after completing S6? Any help would be greatly appreciated, just really stressing out 🙏🏼

Heyy

Not all students get the grades they are looking for in one year (fifth year) and instead get the ones they are missing during their final year (sixth year).

If you still don't get the grades you are looking for, you can also look at the widening participation route into the University which is when you apply directly into the second or third year after studying an HNC or HND at college:

https://www.napier.ac.uk/study-with-us/widening-participation

It will be useful to attend any university open days to explore what course options there are that you like the sound of, I've added Edinburgh Napiers to get the ball rolling for you below:

https://www.napier.ac.uk/study-with-us/undergraduate/meet-us/open-days

I hope this information helps, please let me know if there's anything else I can help with

Step @ ENU
Original post by Samsmith666

Well it depends on why you've done worse in your exams, you could attempt to explain extenuating circumstances which might give universities some lenience, so you aren't toast there.
And additionally you could apply at S6.
Or maybe you have other qualifications that say that you should be capable of handling the workload even if your Higher grades ain't great.
Academia isn’t for everyone! It could just be that it’s simply not for you, especially if you don’t want to continue into S6.

Unfortunately considering how competitive university will be next year (considering a lot of applicants probably missed their grades or were asked to defer due to overcrowded unis) ABCC simply will not be enough for most universities.

You could either continue to S6 to get better grades or improve those Cs, go to college and complete an HNC that’s related to your prospective uni course, look for apprenticeships, or look for work.

Quick Reply