The Student Room Group

Don’t know what to do at Uni

Hi, so I have no idea what course to do or what university to attend (in 2022) and I need to know by November I think? Can anyone help me to give me recommendations on what I could do or where I could go? Or just tell me what course and uni you are going to? Hahah
For A Level I do Philosophy, Sociology and Media.
I’m pretty interested in English, Philosophy and media but not sure how well I would do with them subjects at Uni...
Btw I read a bit about the history of art but idk if I’d do well at that too.
Original post by Hale24
Hi, so I have no idea what course to do or what university to attend (in 2022) and I need to know by November I think? Can anyone help me to give me recommendations on what I could do or where I could go? Or just tell me what course and uni you are going to? Hahah
I’m pretty interested in English, Philosophy and media but not sure how well I would do with them subjects at Uni...

I wouldn’t go if I was in your situation. University is an incredibly expensive amount of money and it is not a decision you can get wrong.

I genuinely think that if you’re not doing a degree that is a requirement for a job (teaching, medicine etc) then it’s not worth attending these days.

Personally I would do as well as you possibly can in your A - Levels and gain the best grades you can. Then I would start looking for apprenticeships in industries you are interested in (this year - try to acquire an apprenticeship in 2022) and start applying for them. Assuming you are offered an apprenticeship you can then move into the job after finishing the apprenticeship or go to university and use the money saved through the apprenticeship on your studies. You’ll also have an additional years experience and be more confident in your career choice.

Hope this was helpful. That’s what I would have done if I was 17/18 again.
Original post by Hale24

Hi @Hale24

Just a quick one to let you know you may have until 26 January to confirm your uni choices on UCAS so you may have a bit more time than you think - you can find more info here.

In terms of where to study and what to study, I'd advise you to attend as many open days as possible - and listen to as many subject talks as possible - this should help you to narrow your options down. Similarly lots of universities offer a service called UniBuddy which allow you to chat directly with current students - again this could be worth keeping an eye out for as it might help to give you an insight into some courses.

That said, as another poster said, you need to seriously consider if university is the right option for you. You sound quite unsure so it might be worth looking into alternative options such as apprenticeships which can help you to get your foot in the door of certain industries.

Thanks and good luck!

Amy
Original post by Hale24

Hey @Hale24!

Choosing a University and a relevant and interesting course is a really tough decision, and although myself and others will give you advice on courses and universities, you must make sure it's a choice you want to do. It is a financial and time investment, and one not worth doing if you're not passionate for it. Attend open days, discuss with tutors from your college and different universities to make sure it's right for you! I will still find some courses as that's what you have asked for! :smile:

I've looked into our courses available for 2022 entry (Which you can find here), and I've tried to find ones that match what you're studying and interested in!

Firstly, a course I studied myself: Cultural Studies and Media with Journalism
Like yourself, I struggled to decide what I wanted to study at an undergraduate level, because I wanted a lot of doors left open for me, and I was interested in so many subjects - this degree, was the perfect choice! It combines so many different areas which makes it perfect for choosing what interests you each year. Pulling from your passion for Philosophy, there are modules such as 'critical thinking', and for your passion for Media there is 'contemporary culture and media' and 'film style' (And more of course, but I won't list everything!). Your hunger for English is also preserved through the many journalism modules such as 'introduction to reporting'. I would recommend checking out the course page, as there are over 30+ modules for you to choose from, allowing you to tailor your degree perfectly. The teaching is phenomenal, and being about of the School of Social Policy, Sociology and Social Research leads to some world-class teaching, with Kent being ranked 1st in the UK for Sociology research quality by the Times University Guide 2021.

The second course I recommend is: Art History and Film
You said you have looked into Art History, so I thought it was worth recommending this course for you to get some more information on it. Nobody prior to University will have studied Art History specifically, and Universities understand not many people will have studied Art or History prior to the course, so the first term will be teaching everyone basic concepts to ensure everyone understands. Having previously studied Media and wanting to potentially pursue this further, the addition of Film should satisfy your desire for Media. There are some great modules where you will produce your own short pieces of media - and the course even has the option to study with a year abroad if you want to explore the world a bit!

Finally, I have recommended: English Literature and Film
Combining English and Film is a very popular choice at undergraduate level, and it could really suit you. Having the benefits of the film as mentioned above gives you great modules teaching about how to make your own short films but also on the theory behind it, if you prefer that. English Literature is really popular at the University of Kent, and two of my previously housemates studied it. There are some great modules on various different time periods from 'Modernism' to 'Literature and Life: c. 1400-1700' and more - and even modules on particular genres such as 'Interactive and Immersive Fictions'. The course also offers a year abroad, and a year in industry - an excellent way to get some valuable work-experience which is key to getting a job once you've graduated.

I hope this has helped, and as before, please do evaluate fully whether University is the best for you.
If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask! :smile:

Nathan
UKC Rep
Original post by Staffordshire University
Hi @Hale24

Just a quick one to let you know you may have until 26 January to confirm your uni choices on UCAS so you may have a bit more time than you think - you can find more info here.

In terms of where to study and what to study, I'd advise you to attend as many open days as possible - and listen to as many subject talks as possible - this should help you to narrow your options down. Similarly lots of universities offer a service called UniBuddy which allow you to chat directly with current students - again this could be worth keeping an eye out for as it might help to give you an insight into some courses.

That said, as another poster said, you need to seriously consider if university is the right option for you. You sound quite unsure so it might be worth looking into alternative options such as apprenticeships which can help you to get your foot in the door of certain industries.

Thanks and good luck!

Amy

Good advice!
Reply 5
Original post by University of Kent Reps
Hey @Hale24!

Choosing a University and a relevant and interesting course is a really tough decision, and although myself and others will give you advice on courses and universities, you must make sure it's a choice you want to do. It is a financial and time investment, and one not worth doing if you're not passionate for it. Attend open days, discuss with tutors from your college and different universities to make sure it's right for you! I will still find some courses as that's what you have asked for! :smile:

I've looked into our courses available for 2022 entry (Which you can find here), and I've tried to find ones that match what you're studying and interested in!

Like yourself, I struggled to decide what I wanted to study at an undergraduate level, because I wanted a lot of doors left open for me, and I was interested in so many subjects - this degree, was the perfect choice! It combines so many different areas which makes it perfect for choosing what interests you each year. Pulling from your passion for Philosophy, there are modules such as 'critical thinking', and for your passion for Media there is 'contemporary culture and media' and 'film style' (And more of course, but I won't list everything!). Your hunger for English is also preserved through the many journalism modules such as 'introduction to reporting'. I would recommend checking out the course page, as there are over 30+ modules for you to choose from, allowing you to tailor your degree perfectly. The teaching is phenomenal, and being about of the School of Social Policy, Sociology and Social Research leads to some world-class teaching, with Kent being ranked 1st in the UK for Sociology research quality by the Times University Guide 2021.

You said you have looked into Art History, so I thought it was worth recommending this course for you to get some more information on it. Nobody prior to University will have studied Art History specifically, and Universities understand not many people will have studied Art or History prior to the course, so the first term will be teaching everyone basic concepts to ensure everyone understands. Having previously studied Media and wanting to potentially pursue this further, the addition of Film should satisfy your desire for Media. There are some great modules where you will produce your own short pieces of media - and the course even has the option to study with a year abroad if you want to explore the world a bit!

Combining English and Film is a very popular choice at undergraduate level, and it could really suit you. Having the benefits of the film as mentioned above gives you great modules teaching about how to make your own short films but also on the theory behind it, if you prefer that. English Literature is really popular at the University of Kent, and two of my previously housemates studied it. There are some great modules on various different time periods from 'Modernism' to 'Literature and Life: c. 1400-1700' and more - and even modules on particular genres such as 'Interactive and Immersive Fictions'. The course also offers a year abroad, and a year in industry - an excellent way to get some valuable work-experience which is key to getting a job once you've graduated.

I hope this has helped, and as before, please do evaluate fully whether University is the best for you.

Nathan
UKC Rep

Ngl, your use of phrases like 'hunger for English' and 'satisfy your desire for Media' are hilarious
Original post by _z7z_
Ngl, your use of phrases like 'hunger for English' and 'satisfy your desire for Media' are hilarious

Got to get the tuition fee money somehow! :lol:
Useful article - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/courses/i-want-to-go-to-uni-but-i-dont-know-what-to-study

And look at this list of subjects at just one Uni - lots may not have even realised were degree subjects : https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/
Reply 8
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
I wouldn’t go if I was in your situation. University is an incredibly expensive amount of money and it is not a decision you can get wrong.

I genuinely think that if you’re not doing a degree that is a requirement for a job (teaching, medicine etc) then it’s not worth attending these days.

Personally I would do as well as you possibly can in your A - Levels and gain the best grades you can. Then I would start looking for apprenticeships in industries you are interested in (this year - try to acquire an apprenticeship in 2022) and start applying for them. Assuming you are offered an apprenticeship you can then move into the job after finishing the apprenticeship or go to university and use the money saved through the apprenticeship on your studies. You’ll also have an additional years experience and be more confident in your career choice.

Hope this was helpful. That’s what I would have done if I was 17/18 again.

Thank you for giving me advice! I’ll look into apprenticeships
Reply 9
Original post by Staffordshire University
Hi @Hale24

Thanks and good luck!

Amy

Thank you!!
Reply 10
Original post by University of Kent Reps
Hey @Hale24!

Nathan
UKC Rep

Thank you SO much! This is really helpful :smile:
Original post by Hale24

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer/media-studies/philosophy/sociology?o=201

Here are some ideeas - please don't think you HAVE to go to uni ...
Original post by _z7z_

Could you tell I was excited for my lunch, haha :biggrin:

Nathan
UKC Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending