The Student Room Group

Let’s make it better

To all those who have not only had a rough 2020 but an awful 2021, it’s the start of a new academic year, let’s stay positive and achieve everything we want!
I just want to start September on a high note. Share your goals, and whatever else you’d like to!
I'm about to start Year 13, being positive is not my forte but nevertheless I'm gonna try and stay organised. The 2021-22 school year is gonna be hectic so I'm praying I don't burn out.

I have a couple of goals for this year:
1. Don't let my grades fall below my current predicted of A*AAA
2. Get 4A* in my A-Levels if possible to provide I can do it without teacher assessed grades because I was the 'class of covid' for gcse so have major imposter syndrome over not deserving my gcse grades ayyy (and also out of spite to prove to my parents that I am intelligent enough to get all A* and do 4 A-Levels).
3. Exercise every day and improve my fitness and body since I'm stuck in the house.
4. Get into a top university, again to prove I can do it and because I really want to go into the course I'm planning to study.
Original post by Ethan512
I'm about to start Year 13, being positive is not my forte but nevertheless I'm gonna try and stay organised. The 2021-22 school year is gonna be hectic so I'm praying I don't burn out.

I have a couple of goals for this year:
1. Don't let my grades fall below my current predicted of A*AAA
2. Get 4A* in my A-Levels if possible to provide I can do it without teacher assessed grades because I was the 'class of covid' for gcse so have major imposter syndrome over not deserving my gcse grades ayyy (and also out of spite to prove to my parents that I am intelligent enough to get all A* and do 4 A-Levels).
3. Exercise every day and improve my fitness and body since I'm stuck in the house.
4. Get into a top university, again to prove I can do it and because I really want to go into the course I'm planning to study.

Absolutely relatable. Positivity can be draining at times, but we’ve got to persevere!

It’s easy to misjudge that some students actually deserved their grades!! Hopefully you can sit your exams, get your grades and prove everyone wrong!
What is it that you plan on doing?
Original post by Dentaldreams
Absolutely relatable. Positivity can be draining at times, but we’ve got to persevere!

It’s easy to misjudge that some students actually deserved their grades!! Hopefully you can sit your exams, get your grades and prove everyone wrong!
What is it that you plan on doing?

I've made a rough plan that I'm pretty determined to stick to:
1. Get up at 6:15
2. Exercise for half an hour, then eat breakfast etc
3. Have about an hour of writing before school starts (I'm an aspiring author so that's why this is in here lol)
4. School from 8:30 till 3:00, using my frees for homework and pre-reading etc
5. 2 hours homework time or 1hr homework and then 1hr BMAT revision
6. 2 hours revision - 1 hour yr12 content, 1 hour yr13 content

This is just for weekdays...weekends are for completing any homework I have left over, revising 1hr per subject, practice BMAT papers and finishing my personal statement. Once my uni application is out of the way, I'll probably change weekends to being 2hrs per subject instead. In a way, I'm somewhat lucky that I'm distance learning cause it means I have more time to work that would have otherwise been spent travelling to/from school. I'll have to go in to do practicals etc, and some days I'll have virtual uni open days to attend but I'm strangely determined to stick to the plan and not burn out. I really want to be successful with this cause my family always say I overwork but I feel like any less than this and I won't be trying my hardest - perhaps this is a self-esteem issue but oh well :cool:

What about you?
I've made a rough plan that I'm pretty determined to stick to:
1. Get up at 6:15
2. Exercise for half an hour, then eat breakfast etc
3. Have about an hour of writing before school starts (I'm an aspiring author so that's why this is in here lol)
4. School from 8:30 till 3:00, using my frees for homework and pre-reading etc
5. 2 hours homework time or 1hr homework and then 1hr BMAT revision
6. 2 hours revision - 1 hour yr12 content, 1 hour yr13 content

This is just for weekdays...weekends are for completing any homework I have left over, revising 1hr per subject, practice BMAT papers and finishing my personal statement. Once my uni application is out of the way, I'll probably change weekends to being 2hrs per subject instead. In a way, I'm somewhat lucky that I'm distance learning cause it means I have more time to work that would have otherwise been spent travelling to/from school. I'll have to go in to do practicals etc, and some days I'll have virtual uni open days to attend but I'm strangely determined to stick to the plan and not burn out. I really want to be successful with this cause my family always say I overwork but I feel like any less than this and I won't be trying my hardest - perhaps this is a self-esteem issue but oh well :cool:

What about you?

Well you seem pretty organized!

I must say, it’s nice to see that you’ve added exercise and writing into the mix, it’s good to have something to take your mind off of things.
Just out of curiosity, what would you like to write about fiction or non-fiction?

It’s great to see that you know how to allocate your time. Self esteem? Perhaps, but your dedication will take you far!

So what are you doing the BMAT for specifically?

I guess it’s my turn lol, I’m actually a bit of a mess, covid screwed things up. I’m a qualified dental nurse at last, hoping to go on and do dental hygiene therapy at uni, I didn’t make it for this year. I started a biology A-level during my gap year but It’s tricky teaching myself and working at the same time. Nevertheless I’m determined to make 2022 my year, so reapply to uni and finish this A-level.
Not so organized but I’m absolutely adamant to set things straight because I’m not getting any younger!
Well you seem pretty organized!

I must say, it’s nice to see that you’ve added exercise and writing into the mix, it’s good to have something to take your mind off of things.
Just out of curiosity, what would you like to write about fiction or non-fiction?

It’s great to see that you know how to allocate your time. Self esteem? Perhaps, but your dedication will take you far!

So what are you doing the BMAT for specifically?

I guess it’s my turn lol, I’m actually a bit of a mess, covid screwed things up. I’m a qualified dental nurse at last, hoping to go on and do dental hygiene therapy at uni, I didn’t make it for this year. I started a biology A-level during my gap year but It’s tricky teaching myself and working at the same time. Nevertheless I’m determined to make 2022 my year, so reapply to uni and finish this A-level.
Not so organized but I’m absolutely adamant to set things straight because I’m not getting any younger!

That's awesome that you're managing an A-level and work, and that you're so determined! Covid definitely screwed a lot of things up, I haven't stepped inside my school once this year lol and ended up taking 4 A-Levels and an EPQ, something I'm technically not usually allowed to do!

I write fiction, more specifically horror/thriller and dystopian. I currently have about 12 different books on the go, including an 8-book series about vampires, souls and cross-dimensional beings which I keep extending, because I can never just stick to one project xD

I'm planning to take Biomedical Sciences at university, and although most courses don't require the BMAT, I'm planning to apply to Oxford, and they ask for it.
That's awesome that you're managing an A-level and work, and that you're so determined! Covid definitely screwed a lot of things up, I haven't stepped inside my school once this year lol and ended up taking 4 A-Levels and an EPQ, something I'm technically not usually allowed to do!

I write fiction, more specifically horror/thriller and dystopian. I currently have about 12 different books on the go, including an 8-book series about vampires, souls and cross-dimensional beings which I keep extending, because I can never just stick to one project xD

I'm planning to take Biomedical Sciences at university, and although most courses don't require the BMAT, I'm planning to apply to Oxford, and they ask for it.

It would be more awesome if I actually got work done🙈 lol, but I think I know what I’m doing now, so hopefully I’m going to stay on the right track!
Four A-levels, EPQ and BMAT, well done you! That takes a lot of effort, which you already know of course. Seriously though that’s brilliant, hopefully your chances of getting into Oxford are high! Biomedical science is definitely an interesting subject to do.

You write my favorite genres🤣 I love a good thriller, anywhere there’s vampires, count me in.
That’s honestly so cool how you’ve actually created a series! Have you considered getting them published?
It would be more awesome if I actually got work done🙈 lol, but I think I know what I’m doing now, so hopefully I’m going to stay on the right track!
Four A-levels, EPQ and BMAT, well done you! That takes a lot of effort, which you already know of course. Seriously though that’s brilliant, hopefully your chances of getting into Oxford are high! Biomedical science is definitely an interesting subject to do.

You write my favorite genres🤣 I love a good thriller, anywhere there’s vampires, count me in.
That’s honestly so cool how you’ve actually created a series! Have you considered getting them published?

They're not written yet lol :biggrin: I'm about halfway through the prequel and the first book, but the others are in varying stages up to nothing but one extract and a plot idea. If they ever get finished I would like to publish them, I'm planning to put them out online first on a platform called Wattpad, and then publish them in physical later once more of them are written and I'm a bit older - aka when I don't need parental permission:wink: I'll be honest, it didn't start out as a series, it started as 3 separate books but then I came up with an idea that tied them all together and I'm too attached to the protagonist to only have him in one book lol. Definitely the same with the vampires - I've loved the supernatural and suchlike since I was little, started with the Goosebumps series, then all the different Darren Shan series (vampires, zombies and demons - what's not to love?), and now I'm starting to move into adult horror; I've just read American Psycho and I really loved that.
They're not written yet lol :biggrin: I'm about halfway through the prequel and the first book, but the others are in varying stages up to nothing but one extract and a plot idea. If they ever get finished I would like to publish them, I'm planning to put them out online first on a platform called Wattpad, and then publish them in physical later once more of them are written and I'm a bit older - aka when I don't need parental permission:wink: I'll be honest, it didn't start out as a series, it started as 3 separate books but then I came up with an idea that tied them all together and I'm too attached to the protagonist to only have him in one book lol. Definitely the same with the vampires - I've loved the supernatural and suchlike since I was little, started with the Goosebumps series, then all the different Darren Shan series (vampires, zombies and demons - what's not to love?), and now I'm starting to move into adult horror; I've just read American Psycho and I really loved that.

Oh right, I’m veryyy familiar with wattpad, it was practically my life! 😅 Just make sure you copyright © and yes probably easier when you can do things without permission lol, one of the pros of adulthood!
I’ve got to say this protagonist sounds good, if you want to keep writing about him. I loved goosebumps, I even read some of the Darren Shan saga, you’re right what’s not to love?!
I used to watch vampire diaries too lol.
Ive not read American Phycho but I know they’ve made a Netflix version.
Oh right, I’m veryyy familiar with wattpad, it was practically my life! 😅 Just make sure you copyright © and yes probably easier when you can do things without permission lol, one of the pros of adulthood!
I’ve got to say this protagonist sounds good, if you want to keep writing about him. I loved goosebumps, I even read some of the Darren Shan saga, you’re right what’s not to love?!
I used to watch vampire diaries too lol.
Ive not read American Phycho but I know they’ve made a Netflix version.

Yeah, been on Wattpad for nearly two years now, used to read it every day on the way to/from school! I also watched Vampire Diaries, up to season 8 or so, but Supernatural takes first place for me, followed by Teen Wolf, though I haven't finished watching either yet. I didn't know about the Netflix version of American Psycho, I'll have to add it to my watchlist.
Yeah, been on Wattpad for nearly two years now, used to read it every day on the way to/from school! I also watched Vampire Diaries, up to season 8 or so, but Supernatural takes first place for me, followed by Teen Wolf, though I haven't finished watching either yet. I didn't know about the Netflix version of American Psycho, I'll have to add it to my watchlist.

Same! I was reading on wattpad whenever I had the chance. I’ve not watched supernatural, it just seemed sooo long🙈 Finished vampire diaries, the originals and Teen wolf (my favorite) though.
If you’re into horror or true crime there’s lots of great podcasts, my version of a bedtime story lol. I’d recommend crime junkie.
Same! I was reading on wattpad whenever I had the chance. I’ve not watched supernatural, it just seemed sooo long🙈 Finished vampire diaries, the originals and Teen wolf (my favorite) though.
If you’re into horror or true crime there’s lots of great podcasts, my version of a bedtime story lol. I’d recommend crime junkie.

hell yeah, horror and true crime all the way! I'll definitely check crime junkie out. In terms of my version of a bedtime story, I'm partial to the odd creepypasta video.
(edited 2 years ago)
hell yeah, horror and true crime all the way! I'll definitely check crime junkie out. In terms of my version of a bedtime story, I'm partial to the odd creepypasta video.

oh I’m sure you’ll love it!
Ahh creepypasta, almost forgot, definitely a nice alternative though, lol.

Quick Reply