The Student Room Group

History related extra curriculars to help me get into Oxford?

Besides debating and journalism, what other extra curriculars would further enhance my historian skills to study at Oxford?
Oxford don’t care about extra curriculars and they won’t give you any advantage. What will determine that is the HAT and the interview.
Original post by obama bin laden
Besides debating and journalism, what other extra curriculars would further enhance my historian skills to study at Oxford?

You could try visiting museums, art galleries, and stately homes and talking to custodians, visiting historical cities/sights, watching documentaries
Aight, cheers.

Original post by Son of the Sea
Oxford don’t care about extra curriculars and they won’t give you any advantage. What will determine that is the HAT and the interview.
Original post by Oxford Mum
You could try visiting museums, art galleries, and stately homes and talking to custodians, visiting historical cities/sights, watching documentaries

Thank you for the advice! Would you happen to know about any museums giving tours online or any webinars that may help?
Original post by obama bin laden
Thank you for the advice! Would you happen to know about any museums giving tours online or any webinars that may help?

Nope but I have been to a couple of museums in person recently
https://www.britishmuseum.org/exhibitions-events/lectures-discussions

My son went to a talk at the British Museum a few years ago and talked about it in his personal statement, here are online ones that you could look at.
Also listen to the radio 4 ‘in our time’ podcasts through bbc sounds - you can choose a subject that interests you and talk about it.
Original post by Hugh's Swan
https://www.britishmuseum.org/exhibitions-events/lectures-discussions

My son went to a talk at the British Museum a few years ago and talked about it in his personal statement, here are online ones that you could look at.

Thank you very much for your help, much appreciated!
Reply 9
Podcasts like In Our Time, really any history podcasts like History in the Making, Queer as Fact etc., the Faculty of History have podcasts too https://podcasts.ox.ac.uk/units/faculty-history. Some other ideas are reading non-fiction history books about a topic/period you're interested in, reading academic articles (you can get some for free on JSTOR and academia.edu), doing MOOCs on futurelearn/coursera etc.

But yeah, honestly developing your academic interests & skills is more important than any 'extra-curricular' activities :smile:
history essay competitions run by unis are great cos they help you develop a rly deep interest/ knowledge in one area, i think st hughs has one u could do if ur in y12 rn, and there might still be a few open if ur in y13
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by elilast
Podcasts like In Our Time, really any history podcasts like History in the Making, Queer as Fact etc., the Faculty of History have podcasts too https://podcasts.ox.ac.uk/units/faculty-history. Some other ideas are reading non-fiction history books about a topic/period you're interested in, reading academic articles (you can get some for free on JSTOR and academia.edu), doing MOOCs on futurelearn/coursera etc.

But yeah, honestly developing your academic interests & skills is more important than any 'extra-curricular' activities :smile:

Great post.
Original post by irismcnab
history essay competitions run by unis are great cos they help you develop a rly deep interest/ knowledge in one area, i think st hughs has one u could do if ur in y12 rn, and there might be a few open if still in y13

Agree with this as well.
Join the Historical Association (there are local branches) or a local history society.

They do talks, send out magazines, go on trips and owing to the high average age of members they tend to treat youngsters as their long lost grandchildren.
Reply 14
The National Archives runs free online talks and seminars, you could try that
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Sinnoh
The National Archives runs free online talks and seminars, you could try that

Thank you very much for your suggestion, I will look into it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending