sailormoonmeow
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Why does our body need to carry out active transport when we can just use diffusion normally? Does it really need to go against the concentration gradient and use up ATP? If so why?

Sorry i tend to ask questions in order to understand a topic even though i dont need to know at my level, Thank you very much )
Last edited by sailormoonmeow; 2 months ago
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by sailormoonmeow)
Why does our body need to carry out active transport when we can just breathe normally? Does it really need to go against the concentration gradient and use up ATP? If so why?

Sorry i tend to ask questions in order to understand a top even though i dont need to know at my level, Thank you very much )
What substance are you talking about with this active transport. Respiratory gasses are not 'transported' via active transport, so I'm not sure what you're talking about here with the breathing.
sailormoonmeow
Rep:
(Original post by Reality Check)
What substance are you talking about with this active transport. Respiratory gasses are not 'transported' via active transport, so I'm not sure what you're talking about here with the breathing.
Oh sorry that was a mistake um Im just talking about the whole process of active transport, is it really needed when we have diffusion already?
foreverrocking1
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Oh sorry that was a mistake um Im just talking about the whole process of active transport, is it really needed when we have diffusion already?
Hey, you do need to know this content for GCSE exams . Active transport goes against the concentration gradient, which means it goes from an area where there are fewer particles to an area with a large number of particles. active transport requires ATP because the carrier proteins (a block of cell with a hole in ) move the particles to the other side of the membrane(the place with a higher number of particles).To do this movement, it needs ATP and this ATP is obtained through respiration. Diffusion is a natural process as particles naturally drift from an area of high concentration to a an area of low concentration to create equilibrium within the particles
Also I am not sure if this is all right because I have just finished my GCSE but if you need any more clarification on the information please feel free to pm me
foreverrocking1
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Why does our body need to carry out active transport when we can just use diffusion normally? Does it really need to go against the concentration gradient and use up ATP? If so why?

Sorry i tend to ask questions in order to understand a topic even though i dont need to know at my level, Thank you very much )
Gasses in the body do not require Active transport they use diffusion.Active transport,I think, is done in the villi to move glucose I am not sure
sailormoonmeow
Rep:
(Original post by foreverrocking1)
Hey, you do need to know this content for GCSE exams . Active transport goes against the concentration gradient, which means it goes from an area where there are fewer particles to an area with a large number of particles. active transport requires ATP because the carrier proteins (a block of cell with a hole in ) move the particles to the other side of the membrane(the place with a higher number of particles).To do this movement, it needs ATP and this ATP is obtained through respiration. Diffusion is a natural process as particles naturally drift from an area of high concentration to a an area of low concentration to create equilibrium within the particles
Also I am not sure if this is all right because I have just finished my GCSE but if you need any more clarification on the information please feel free to pm me
OH okay yeah this makes sense now lmao Thank you so much for taking your time to explain and clear my misunderstandings, Hope you have a great day ^^
foreverrocking1
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
OH okay yeah this makes sense now lmao Thank you so much for taking your time to explain and clear my misunderstandings, Hope you have a great day ^^
No worries
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (118)
33.71%
Yes - a trusted person (95)
27.14%
No (93)
26.57%
I'm not sure (44)
12.57%

Watched Threads