alyel7890
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
right i think i’ve decided what to take -
film, media and english lit and lang combined
could anyone who took english combined tell me a bit more about it? it would be greatly appreciated.
if i don’t like film then i may change it to sociology
lm262
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by alyel7890)
could anyone who took english combined tell me a bit more about it? it would be greatly appreciated.
I'm assuming you're referring to AQA Language & Lit which is what I did. While the language comes first in the title, this is a lit course: you can do lit at uni with this A-level (and I'm pretty sure you can't do linguistics) so that should be kept in mind. Effectively, most of the time you're looking at literature from both literary and linguistic perspectives (aside from certain pieces in the Paris Anthology). Some examples:

For the poetry anthology, my class studied Heaney but obviously all your texts differ by school if not teacher. At GCSE, you're analysing the use of things like smilies, metaphors, symbolism, etc. This is literary stuff. At A-level Lang-lit, you extend your analysis to include patterns of language (eg. high density of qualitative adjectives/dynamic verbs/whatever) and phonology (sibilance, fricatives, nasals – the actual sound when the poem is read aloud). You tie your literary, linguistic and phonological elements together to understand the text's poetic voice (will make lots more sense if you end up studying the course).
Othello: Othello is a tragedy. It's literature. It's also a piece of Jacobean theatre. It's Shakespeare. It's written in verse (poetry). It has characters talking to one another (conversational analysis). The lines are written to be spoken (phonology and prosody). It's heavily influenced by contemporary attitudes to race, gender and relationships and there are a number of debates to be held about their influence. When you're doing lang-lit, there are so many other angles to attack the text from than pure lit and for me, this is what I enjoyed most about it.

There's tons more to the course and loads of different texts, though. I hope this was somewhat helpful, and if you have any other questions or things don't make sense please ask!!
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by alyel7890)
What did you want to do at uni?
lm262
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
What did you want to do at uni?
I'm starting English and French through liberal arts @ Durham. However I think the course has enough breadth that it's relevant to fields like media, marketing, communications and journalism – especially with the NEA.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (39)
9.68%
Okay (119)
29.53%
A bit lacking (153)
37.97%
Not good at all (92)
22.83%

Watched Threads