The Student Room Group

Will my subjects / qualifications be suitable for Law

Hi there,

I am currently enterring year 13 in Sixth Form whilst studying 2 A-Levels and an OCR Cambridge Technical Extended Certificate. My two A-Levels are Sociology and Economics whilst my Cambridge Technical is Digital Media, I have been told a Cambridge Techincal Extended Certificate is equivalent to an A-Level as it is a Level 3 qualification, however my question is do I put myself at a disadvantage when applying for Universities. My predicted grades are quite high in all subjects however because my Digital Media qualification is not an 'A-Level', does this mean Universities will not accept it. I am interested in doing Law and have learnt there are no specific subject requirements and am looking at the University of Bristol aswell as some other Universities such as Nottingham and Manchester. A careers advisor has advised me I will be fine, however I just want to be certain.

Could someone help me and let me know if it is possible to pursue this course at university?

PS: Can I have some advise on the application process? Thank you :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by alexking04
Hi there,

I am currently enterring year 13 in Sixth Form whilst studying 2 A-Levels and an OCR Cambridge Technical Extended Certificate. My two A-Levels are Sociology and Economics whilst my Cambridge Technical is Digital Media, I have been told a Cambridge Techincal Extended Certificate is equivalent to an A-Level as it is a Level 3 qualification, however my question is do I put myself at a disadvantage when applying for Universities. My predicted grades are quite high in all subjects however because my Digital Media qualification is not an 'A-Level', does this mean Universities will not accept it. I am interested in doing Law and have learnt there are no specific subject requirements and am looking at the University of Bristol aswell as some other Universities such as Nottingham and Manchester. A careers advisor has advised me I will be fine, however I just want to be certain.

Could someone help me and let me know if it is possible to pursue this course at university?

PS: Can I have some advise on the application process? Thank you :smile:

For Bristol - yes, they will accept the certificate in lieu of one A level. This is the guidance regarding grades etc required (the standard entry requirement is A*AA/A*A*B or equivalent)

Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 12.57.45.png
Manchester do accept it 'The University welcomes applications from students studying the Cambridge Technical Extended Diploma for entry, provided it is in a subject relevant to the chosen course.

Entry requirements are based on achievement of the full Technical Extended Diploma (e.g. D*DD or DDM). Some subjects specify required levels of achievements in particular units/modules or ask for additional qualifications to satisfy subject requirements.
'
https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applications/entry-requirements/uk-entry-requirements/

If your saying you're Cambridge technical is in digital media then e-mail the law school and see if it is acceptable.

Nottingham it isn't listed so e-mail them and see if they accept it.

For other unis, if it is listed as acceptable on their website then you can apply. Don't worry about being at a disadvantage as you shouldn't be and its too late to change now anyway!

If it isn't listed on their website then you can always e-mail them and ask.
(edited 2 years ago)
Unrelated, but if anyone reading this is interested, when I was looking at the Manchester law course, I noticed that they've followed Exeter in bumping up their entry requirements to A*AA for 2022 entry.
Reply 4
Thank you, that is very helpful
Reply 5
Original post by LawStudent456
Unrelated, but if anyone reading this is interested, when I was looking at the Manchester law course, I noticed that they've followed Exeter in bumping up their entry requirements to A*AA for 2022 entry.

Do you know if any other universities have altered their entry requirements?

Thanks
Original post by alexking04
Do you know if any other universities have altered their entry requirements?

Thanks

No idea.

Just look up the other unis you're interested in and look at their entry requirements.

this is utterly hilarious
Original post by EU Yakov
this is utterly hilarious

How so?
Manchester used to be lucky if it could fish out one A*AA candidate. now grades are being given out like candy it thinks it can only recruit those.

How so?
Original post by EU Yakov
Manchester used to be lucky if it could fish out one A*AA candidate. now grades are being given out like candy it thinks it can only recruit those.

Can add Leeds to that list now. Not surprising considering they offered £10k + free accommodation to their students to defer.

Quick Reply