The Student Room Group
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

A brief guide to surviving university: Balancing academics & having fun!

In this must-read blog for new students, Physiotherapy student Saffron shares her tips for surviving university the academic and the social side of it.

Saffron-Profile-image.jpg

Organise and Strategise
Spending 10 minutes a week planning your time will save hours of stress when you overbook yourself and suddenly have an assignment due in two days.

There are multiple ways that you can organise your time effectively: diaries, apps, to do lists, planners, even excel spreadsheets.

Placement prep
1. Revise the subject area you are going into
2. Have a pen and new notebook to keep notes and make reflections
3. Plan your route and do a dummy run before so you know where to go and when
4. Get your uniform and bag ready the night before
5. Take a treat to work (a small cake, piece of fruit, etc.) this works as a mid-day pick me up!

Finding what works for you
For those studying health, the things I found most helpful are anatomy colouring books, physically practicing things (i.e. muscle tests), and drawing where anatomical structures would be, helped me to understand how they move and work.

'Me Time'
Take extra time to make a nice meal and eat without distraction
Make time to go to the gym/play sport
Read a good book in the sunshine
Face packs and follow a skin care routine
10 minutes colouring/drawing

ENJOY!
The most important thing about being at university is to ENJOY IT! Most people only get one run at it, so make the most of every opportunity and don’t be afraid to try new things. Take a chance on a new sport, sign up to a society you have never heard of, try new foods, or learn a new language you never know when these things might come in handy.

What are your top tips to surviving university? :smile:

Becky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending