The Student Room Group

house hold income

My son intends to go to uni next year, I will be retiring this year and plan to take only the 25% tax free lump sum from my pension. On annual tax return this does not need to be classed as income and does not need to be entered, i looked also on the gov. application form for the student finance and got the impression I only need to enter the taxable lump sum part.(ie the tax free lump sum does not need to be included). Is this a correct assumption. if it does count then this will have a significant impact on the maintenance grant at a time when money going forward for me will be tight.
Original post by codm80
My son intends to go to uni next year, I will be retiring this year and plan to take only the 25% tax free lump sum from my pension. On annual tax return this does not need to be classed as income and does not need to be entered, i looked also on the gov. application form for the student finance and got the impression I only need to enter the taxable lump sum part.(ie the tax free lump sum does not need to be included). Is this a correct assumption. if it does count then this will have a significant impact on the maintenance grant at a time when money going forward for me will be tight.

This is from the gov.uk on student finance:-

Household income
You must provide your household income if you apply for any of the following:

full Maintenance Loan
Maintenance Grant - not available if your course started on or after 1 August 2016
Special Support Grant - not available if your course started on or after 1 August 2016
Childcare Grant
Adult Dependants’ Grant
Parents’ Learning Allowance
You’ll need to provide your household income for tax year:

2019 to 2020 if you’re applying for the 2021 to 2022 academic year
2018 to 2019 if you’re applying for the 2020 to 2021 academic year
After you apply, Student Finance England will ask the people in your household to confirm their income. They might need to provide evidence.

What counts as household income
Your household income includes any of the following that apply:

your parents’ income, if you’re under 25 and live with them or depend on them financially
the combined income of one of your parents and their partner, if you’re under 25 and live with them or depend on them financially
your partner’s income, if you’re over 25 and live with them (even if they spend most of their time abroad)
income you get from your own savings, investments or property, for example dividends or rent.
Reply 2
Original post by Tracey_W
This is from the gov.uk on student finance:-

Household income
You must provide your household income if you apply for any of the following:

full Maintenance Loan
Maintenance Grant - not available if your course started on or after 1 August 2016
Special Support Grant - not available if your course started on or after 1 August 2016
Childcare Grant
Adult Dependants’ Grant
Parents’ Learning Allowance
You’ll need to provide your household income for tax year:

2019 to 2020 if you’re applying for the 2021 to 2022 academic year
2018 to 2019 if you’re applying for the 2020 to 2021 academic year
After you apply, Student Finance England will ask the people in your household to confirm their income. They might need to provide evidence.

What counts as household income
Your household income includes any of the following that apply:

your parents’ income, if you’re under 25 and live with them or depend on them financially
the combined income of one of your parents and their partner, if you’re under 25 and live with them or depend on them financially
your partner’s income, if you’re over 25 and live with them (even if they spend most of their time abroad)
income you get from your own savings, investments or property, for example dividends or rent.

I am aware of gov finance guide you posted, but this does not answer my specific question about tax free lump sum froma pension whihc does not count as income on a tax return.
Original post by codm80
I am aware of gov finance guide you posted, but this does not answer my specific question about tax free lump sum froma pension whihc does not count as income on a tax return.

I would probably call student finance.
Reply 4
Original post by codm80

Tax free payments are specifically excluded from household income assessments for student loan purposes. The SFE advisors on here have been giving incorrect advice on this issue for some time. However the PFF2 form has been updated this year to be more clear on this issue:
2021-22 PFF2
PFF2.JPG
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
many thanks, make a big difference on how/when I take the tax free amount

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending