How do universities generally handle small pets?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I have a small cubic reef fish tank, which I think would brighten up my dorm room significantly and just give me something to do whilst I'm there. It would simply sit on the desk and not bother a soul.
Obviously the majority of UK universitiy accomodation doesn't allow any pets, no matter the size, but I've heard stories of people simply throwing clothes over or hiding tanks / vivariums such as mine, and the staff aren't bothered as long as your shower etc is working.Worst case scenario I'd be able to bag my fish to hide them & it'd simply be a tank with water and corals, which I guess class as plants.Would this bother them? Do some accomodations give more leeway than others? Or is it not even worth attempting?
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have a small cubic reef fish tank, which I think would brighten up my dorm room significantly and just give me something to do whilst I'm there. It would simply sit on the desk and not bother a soul.
Obviously the majority of UK universitiy accomodation doesn't allow any pets, no matter the size, but I've heard stories of people simply throwing clothes over or hiding tanks / vivariums such as mine, and the staff aren't bothered as long as your shower etc is working.Worst case scenario I'd be able to bag my fish to hide them & it'd simply be a tank with water and corals, which I guess class as plants.Would this bother them? Do some accomodations give more leeway than others? Or is it not even worth attempting?
Hi!

I would actually ask your accommodation about this, as a fish tank wouldn't harm anything or cause much damage or nuisance to your halls, if you really were intent on bringing it to uni.
However, do remember that you will go home during the holidays and it will be an extra thing to lug back, and this probably isn't possible on the train. It's also another cost for you to maintain and budget for at uni. Also, any damage may affect you receiving all your deposit back.
I would personally leave it at home so I didn't have to bother about the hassle and cost. There are plenty of other ways to decorate your room. You could always take some corals that you put in a fish tank to decorate your room if you love marine life. The range, home bargains, dunelm, Primark, b&M, Matalan, etc... that have nice cheaper decorations for your room that will take up less room on your desk. This space you will need to work and have room for your uni stuff.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep
Anonymous #1
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi!

I would actually ask your accommodation about this, as a fish tank wouldn't harm anything or cause much damage or nuisance to your halls, if you really were intent on bringing it to uni.
However, do remember that you will go home during the holidays and it will be an extra thing to lug back, and this probably isn't possible on the train. It's also another cost for you to maintain and budget for at uni. Also, any damage may affect you receiving all your deposit back.
I would personally leave it at home so I didn't have to bother about the hassle and cost. There are plenty of other ways to decorate your room. You could always take some corals that you put in a fish tank to decorate your room if you love marine life. The range, home bargains, dunelm, Primark, b&M, Matalan, etc... that have nice cheaper decorations for your room that will take up less room on your desk. This space you will need to work and have room for your uni stuff.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep
I'm definitely going to ask & see what their policies are. I've thought it out and I'd literally be able to leave the tank there if it only had corals in it. If it had fish I'd only have to bring them back. If not I'd just want a planted tank purely to look nice, surely that's allowed right since there's technically no pets? I just think it would brighten up my room, reduce home sickness and give me something to do.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
You’d probably find private accommodation easier with this sort of thing.

Halls generally are very small, I don’t think most rooms would be suitable.
Jonathanツ
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
If they say no, I would still bring ur fish friend if I was you

I once had a fish and if he were still alive, I would definitely bring him

RIP Blackie
Anonymous #1
(Original post by mnot)
You’d probably find private accommodation easier with this sort of thing.

Halls generally are very small, I don’t think most rooms would be suitable.
I'm planning on getting a premium en-suite room. The accomodation I think I'll be in is a different kind, I'm a first year but the majority of 'halls' on their website have been taken up so they offered me an alternative flat which isn't advertised anwhere on the university website, but I'll still be with other students. I think there's only 400 in there, and it's a mix between universities since I'm going to an ex poly.
Anonymous #2
Report 11 months ago
How will you manage the welfare of the fish?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
I’d be more concerned that you would stress your fish out by bagging and transporting them regularly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (79)
41.15%
They're exactly what I expected (45)
23.44%