The Student Room Group

Are my gcses good enough for medicine?

Hi! I achieved 99888887766 at GCSE with 8 in Chem, 7bio, 8 math and 8-7 in Eng Lang/Lit.

Is this good enough for a good russell group uni like Nottingham, Kings, Imperial, Queens etc?

Im taking Bio, Chem, Math and Psychology for A Level
Reply 1
Original post by gigivision
Hi! I achieved 99888887766 at GCSE with 8 in Chem, 7bio, 8 math and 8-7 in Eng Lang/Lit.

Is this good enough for a good russell group uni like Nottingham, Kings, Imperial, Queens etc?

First off: wipe the words "russell group" from your brain. Med schools are all held to the same standard by the GMC, and foundation job applications have your university hidden (as far as I know), and russell group is completely self defined anyway, so unless you have a really good reason for wanting to go to one, don't let the words russell group get to you.

All medical schools will ask that you have a 6 in English and Maths, but not much more. Some medical schools (like Nottingham) use GCSEs in their application process. You really need to look at each school's website on a case by case basis to see if your results are good enough.
I’m an almost-third-year at imperial, and your GCSEs are pretty much identical to mine! I got interviews at Nottingham and Kings too - although their selection criteria are likely to be different now - most med schools give really detailed explanations on their websites of how they narrow applicants down for interview. Kings were a bit woolly though.

You don’t need four A levels for any med school - if you want to do the four due to interest in the subjects then fair enough, but you’re better to get three top grades than four good-but-not-quite-as-good grades
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3

There's a whole thread for you here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5678544
I'd say pretty definitely.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by AnnaBananana
I’m an almost-third-year at imperial, and your GCSEs are pretty much identical to mine! I got interviews at Nottingham and Kings too - although their selection criteria are likely to be different now - most med schools give really detailed explanations on their websites of how they narrow applicants down for interview. Kings were a bit woolly though.

You don’t need four A levels for any med school - if you want to do the four due to interest I. The subjects then fair enough, but you’re better to get three top grades than four good-but-not-quite-as-good grades

Hi thank you for your help <3, My school requires you to start off with four so you have an option to drop one your not so good at if you want to, i dont plan to do 4 till the end, I’ll drop psychology or maths depending on which I feel I can do better in
Hi thank you for your help <3, My school requires you to start off with four so you have an option to drop one your not so good at if you want to, i dont plan to do 4 till the end, I’ll drop psychology or maths depending on which I feel I can do better in

I started out with maths and fm but dropped fm fairly early. It actually did help though, as I’d already covered a lot of the later maths topics in my fm lessons, so when the difficulty ramped up in chemistry, I could use the time that was freed up from maths to make sure I spent the time I needed to properly get each chemistry topic into my head.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending