The Student Room Group

help pls

Hi can someone please help me with this question- thanks in advance.

‘Hex-1-ene is a liquid with a BP of 63 degrees and density of 0.67 gcm-3

Hex-1-ene can be prepared by refluxing hexan-1-Ol (BP 157 degrees) with an acid catalyst.

Hexan-1-ol is a liquid with a density of 0.82gcm-3

after reflux , the resulting mixture contains unreacted hexan-1-ol, hex-1-ene and water. The mixture is then purified.

The expected percentage yield of hex-1-ene from hexan1-ol is 62.5%

A student plans to prepare 4.20g of hex-1ene by this method.

Calculate the mass of Hexan-1-ol that the student should use and explain how you could obtain pure hex-1-ene from the mixture obtained after relfux.
Reply 1
I think you need to just scale up the amount of alcohol needed by 100/62.5 = 1.6. to take account of loss due to yield of 62.5, so use 4.2g x 16 = 6.72g.

The alcohol and the alkene will not mix, the water might not even dissolve the alcohol that well since it contains a fairly large "organic" portion to the molecule. However they all have different densities and two of the three at least wont mix, so just use a separating funnel to get the alkene out then dry it with some calcium sulfate.
Original post by scimus63
I think you need to just scale up the amount of alcohol needed by 100/62.5 = 1.6. to take account of loss due to yield of 62.5, so use 4.2g x 16 = 6.72g.

The alcohol and the alkene will not mix, the water might not even dissolve the alcohol that well since it contains a fairly large "organic" portion to the molecule. However they all have different densities and two of the three at least wont mix, so just use a separating funnel to get the alkene out then dry it with some calcium sulfate.

Thank u!!’

Quick Reply

Latest