Economics or law??

Watch this thread
aistudent
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I am a UK student and I have to chose what degree I want to do in the future and I’m really interested in Law & Economics. However, not many university’s that I like offer this as a joint degree so I am considering other options. My main goal in life is to fight for criminal justice - i really want to work towards a criminal defence lawyer. In my opinion, I think that law and economics work extremely well together So, I am considering four options but need some advice.
1 - get a degree in economics which will help me with analytical thinking and then do a Law conversion.
2- study law ( I’m not just intrigued by criminal law as I love the modules ) and then hopefully do a masters in criminal justice law
3- law and economics ( I would love to study both however, this minimises my options for uni)
4- take a gap year and do SATs so I can apply to the USA which is very unlikely that I will get in.
Joleee
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
have you studied economics and law at A levels? which did you enjoy more?

which unis offer joint law and economics? are they decent schools?

what would you study in the US, economics i presume? do you have the funds for that?
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by aistudent)
I am a UK student and I have to chose what degree I want to do in the future and I’m really interested in Law & Economics.
Go to some some Uni Open Days and listen to a range of subject presentations - Econ, Law, Crim and any other social science courses that inter est you.Do this for a couple of different Unis. You have until Jan 2022 to apply - use the time wisely so that you make an informed decision.

Law at Goldsmiths Uni of London offers both 'Law' and two interesting 'combined subjects' Law degrees - https://www.gold.ac.uk/law/about-us/ and seelinks at the bottom of the page.
Law at Sussex - http://www.sussex.ac.uk/law/ugstudy/prospectus - again, Law 'with' other subjects.
aistudent
Rep:
(Original post by Joleee)
have you studied economics and law at A levels? which did you enjoy more?
Thank you for your reply
which unis offer joint law and economics? are they decent schools?

what would you study in the US, economics i presume? do you have the funds for that?
I’m currently studying English, Maths and Economics at A level alongside an EPQ on criminal justice. So, I wouldn’t exactly know which one I would enjoy more but even if I did do both they’re completely different at university.
There are a few that offer Law and Economics such as : Queen Mary, Edinburgh, royal Holloway, Warwick and SOAS. There isn’t a huge range of university’s that offer Law and Economics in the UK and I’m not certain I’m interested in them besides two.
The US is incredibly expensive but I was thinking of applying for a scholarship ( chances are very low). If I did have that chance to study there I would choose law as my major as that’s subject I’m interested in studying + doing a career in. I would then have English Literature, Economics and criminology for my minors.
aistudent
Rep:
(Original post by McGinger)
Go to some some Uni Open Days and listen to a range of subject presentations - Econ, Law, Crim and any other social science courses that inter est you.Do this for a couple of different Unis. You have until Jan 2022 to apply - use the time wisely so that you make an informed decision.
Thank you
Law at Goldsmiths Uni of London offers both 'Law' and two interesting 'combined subjects' Law degrees - https://www.gold.ac.uk/law/about-us/ and seelinks at the bottom of the page.
Law at Sussex - http://www.sussex.ac.uk/law/ugstudy/prospectus - again, Law 'with' other subjects.
I will be attending more open days but it has ven quite hard due to covid.
Ahh thank you I have done a virtual webinar for law at goldsmiths which was interesting. I am aware that both universities offer joint law degrees however, I have been advised to look more at Russel group universities especially if I am considering.
I was originally going to apply to Oxbridge however, I have been thinking of applying to Law at Cambridge for my masters as I thought it would be too stressful now ( especially because of Covid).
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
I’m currently studying English, Maths and Economics at A level alongside an EPQ on criminal justice. So, I wouldn’t exactly know which one I would enjoy more but even if I did do both they’re completely different at university.
There are a few that offer Law and Economics such as : Queen Mary, Edinburgh, royal Holloway, Warwick and SOAS. There isn’t a huge range of university’s that offer Law and Economics in the UK and I’m not certain I’m interested in them besides two.
The US is incredibly expensive but I was thinking of applying for a scholarship ( chances are very low). If I did have that chance to study there I would choose law as my major as that’s subject I’m interested in studying + doing a career in. I would then have English Literature, Economics and criminology for my minors.
Have a look at Exeter. They do a flexible honours course where you combine subjects
Rachelkaramakov
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Hey I have a similar dilemma. I’m leaning a bit more towards law at the moment, does anyone know how well regarded law at Exeter would be?
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I am a UK student and I have to chose what degree I want to do in the future and I’m really interested in Law & Economics. However, not many university’s that I like offer this as a joint degree so I am considering other options. My main goal in life is to fight for criminal justice - i really want to work towards a criminal defence lawyer. In my opinion, I think that law and economics work extremely well together So, I am considering four options but need some advice.
1 - get a degree in economics which will help me with analytical thinking and then do a Law conversion.
2- study law ( I’m not just intrigued by criminal law as I love the modules ) and then hopefully do a masters in criminal justice law
3- law and economics ( I would love to study both however, this minimises my options for uni)
4- take a gap year and do SATs so I can apply to the USA which is very unlikely that I will get in.
Hello,

I’m a third year law student at the University of Southampton.

It sounds like you have both an interest in law and economics. I think a joint honours is a good idea even if it means you have fewer options because it would allow you to combine your interest in law and economics.

I would recommend a degree in law if you have more of an interest in law than in economics. A law degree will allow you to study law in a lot more depth than a joint honours. It’s worth considering, however, that a law degree is much more than just criminal law. You’ll also study (in the U.K.) things like land law, EU law, public law, tort law. I would have a look into law outside of criminal law and see if this interests you.

Any questions let me know.

All the best,

Teresa (University of Southampton Ambassador)
Anisa-CityUoL
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hi aistudent

I hope you are doing well.

I am a final year Law student and I can see that you have a plan for your future. I recommend speaking to people who are in this profession to also get their advice but you can also discuss with them how they got to their current job position. Connect with people on LinkedIn or attend events online or try to get a hold of work experience.

Hope this helps.

Anisa 😊
Final Year LLB Law Student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (14)
28%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (21)
42%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
4%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (2)
4%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
8%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
12%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise