The Student Room Group

Feel lost without my dog

So today I had to say goodbye to my god of 14 years and it was genuinely the hardest thing I've ever had to do. It is now one in the morning and I can't stop thinking about him. I miss him so much already and I just don't know how else to carry on without him. Now, I know some people will say its just a dog, and that I need to man up and move on but it's hard. Ive had this dog since I was 8 years old. He has been with me through thick and thin. Anytime something has happened he was always the one id sit and talk with or cry with and now I have lost all of that support. I know he is in a better place and I know he had a good life while he was with us but these facts just aren't helping at the moment and I don't know where to turn too
Don’t let anyone tell you to man up, or that it’s ‘just a dog’. Pets, especially ones like dogs, become parts of the family. You form a bond with them that means, when they eventually do pass away, it hurts. You are totally validated in how you feel. At the moment you’ll feel lost and upset, but with time things will get better- and his memory will be a happy one, not one that brings you to tears.
Reply 2
Original post by Charlie101998
So today I had to say goodbye to my god of 14 years and it was genuinely the hardest thing I've ever had to do. It is now one in the morning and I can't stop thinking about him. I miss him so much already and I just don't know how else to carry on without him. Now, I know some people will say its just a dog, and that I need to man up and move on but it's hard. Ive had this dog since I was 8 years old. He has been with me through thick and thin. Anytime something has happened he was always the one id sit and talk with or cry with and now I have lost all of that support. I know he is in a better place and I know he had a good life while he was with us but these facts just aren't helping at the moment and I don't know where to turn too

omg i'm so sorry charlie. i know how much it hurts. we had to put our dog to sleep last year, and just couple months ago we had to do the same with our cat. the cat was super old, had her since i was a little kid so losing her was even a bigger shock, i can still hear her walking around the house. it ****ing sucks. you don't need to 'man up and move on', **** anyone who tells you so. missing your dog doesn't make you weak. it means you had a strong bond with him.
i still miss them both like crazy and can't look at their pictures without experiencing a mini breakdown. but trust me, it gets easier. hope you managed to get some sleep x
Original post by Charlie101998

Ive lost a few dogs in the past, the hardest comprehending it all was definitely ones I had from my early childhood.

Ultimately they have been their your whole life and feel like a direct relative. Its important to acknowledge how important role they had in growing up and how much they meant to you.

Them passing is a part of nature and it will teach you a lot about life. But you still have the memories, and you will learn to live without them physically. You'll never forget the good times and cherish your memories with them, you'll always miss them but learning how to move forward gets easier once the rawness of the moment passes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending