The Student Room Group

BMAT

Hello, my school is doing the BMAT admissions test on the 4th of November. I just started AS. Do you recommend that I do the test now or after I finish my AS? Also, is it possible I can do the exam on the 4th of Nov and the next BMAT admissions test?
You're supposed to sit the BMAT in year 13 as it's only valid for the year you apply.
Reply 2
Original post by hungrysalamander
You're supposed to sit the BMAT in year 13 as it's only valid for the year you apply.

Are you sure? Because on the website it says "People usually take the UKCAT and BMAT in the summer of year 12 and the beginning of year 13, and it's common for students to take both tests when applying to medical school, so knowing the timeline is invaluable: ... 18th of August: New BMAT September registration deadline. 9th of September: New BMAT test date."
Original post by Zackkk1
Are you sure? Because on the website it says "People usually take the UKCAT and BMAT in the summer of year 12 and the beginning of year 13, and it's common for students to take both tests when applying to medical school, so knowing the timeline is invaluable: ... 18th of August: New BMAT September registration deadline. 9th of September: New BMAT test date."

There's no point sitting the BMAT in year 12 as you will need to sit it again next year. I'm 100% sure that you're supposed to take it in year 13 because that's what everyone at my school did. The UCAT is for next summer as well.
Here's what it says on the Cambridge assessment site in the "Can I use a BMAT result from a previous year as part of a new application?"
BMAT results are only valid in the year that the test is taken and cannot be carried over to a re-application.
Reply 5
There's no point sitting the BMAT in year 12 as you will need to sit it again next year. I'm 100% sure that you're supposed to take it in year 13 because that's what everyone at my school did. The UCAT is for next summer as well.

Also, I will be applying to UCL at the end of year 12. I need the BMAT to higher my chance of acceptance, and I'm pretty sure there isn't another application before I apply. So it would be a waste of an opportunity
Original post by Zackkk1
Also, I will be applying to UCL at the end of year 12. I need the BMAT to higher my chance of acceptance, and I'm pretty sure there isn't another application before I apply. So it would be a waste of an opportunity

You can't apply for medicine at the end of a school year as the UCAS deadline is 15th October. Also, you can't get into medical school with just As qualifications you need to finish your full A-levels and use predicted grades in year 13.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
I know but don't you apply after AS so they give you a predicted grade?
Original post by Zackkk1
I know but don't you apply after AS so they give you a predicted grade?

Your school gives you a predicted grade before you apply and they will use your end of year 12 grades if that's what you mean. Most people don't sit AS exams now.
Reply 9
Your school gives you a predicted grade before you apply and they will use your end of year 12 grades if that's what you mean. Most people don't sit AS exams now.

Yes, so shouldn't I have done my BMAT then so I can use it as evidence?.......... sorry if I'm being annoying I'm just really confused and worried
Original post by Zackkk1
Yes, so shouldn't I have done my BMAT then so I can use it as evidence?.......... sorry if I'm being annoying I'm just really confused and worried

No, the BMAT is an admissions test for universities to shortlist for interview not for your school to determine predicted grades. Your school will use your past performance in mocks to determine your predicted grades so do your best in those and try not to worry about the UCAT/BMAT until next summer.
Original post by Zackkk1
Hello, my school is doing the BMAT admissions test on the 4th of November. I just started AS. Do you recommend that I do the test now or after I finish my AS? Also, is it possible I can do the exam on the 4th of Nov and the next BMAT admissions test?

The two sittings of BMAT are in September and November of Year 13. This year the November sitting is the only one available as the Sept one has been cancelled due to COVID. It sounds like you will be taking your BMAT next year but check that you do want/need to sit it as there is enough med schools you can apply to with the UCAT
If you want more info on the BMAT then read this amazing article by @SyedN:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/medicine/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-bmat
Reply 12
Original post by AliceKS
The two sittings of BMAT are in September and November of Year 13. This year the November sitting is the only one available as the Sept one has been cancelled due to COVID. It sounds like you will be taking your BMAT next year but check that you do want/need to sit it as there is enough med schools you can apply to with the UCAT
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/medicine/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-bmat

Thank you. What about the UCAT then, when should I do it? before I apply to UCL or after (by then I would have finished AS)
Original post by Zackkk1
Thank you. What about the UCAT then, when should I do it? before I apply to UCL or after (by then I would have finished AS)

UCAT can be taken anytime between 26th ish of July and 30th of Sept - summer between Year 12 (AS) and Year 13 (A Level). Application for medicine is due on the 15th October but your school might have an earlier deadline for things like your personal statement. You get four choices for med schools but try not set your heart on UCL because of the "prestige", it should be more important that you study medicine than get into UCL, otherwise you could be happier studying something different but at UCL which might be easier to get into!
Original post by Zackkk1
Thank you. What about the UCAT then, when should I do it? before I apply to UCL or after (by then I would have finished AS

UCL uses the BMAT not UCAT. The UCAT is taken in the summer between year 12 to year 13 from August to september. It is also only valid for the year you apply so there's no point taking it now.
UCL uses the BMAT not UCAT. The UCAT is taken in the summer between year 12 to year 13 from August to september. It is also only valid for the year you apply so there's no point taking it now.

Agree! Focus on doing well in your AS and engaging with supercurricular activities such as reading books, listening to podcasts, doing some research - but don't just tick box it! Keep a diary and reflect on what you've learnt from what you have done, it's not about quantity, it's about quality! Good luck though, the fact you're asking these questions and are keen is a good sign :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by AliceKS
Agree! Focus on doing well in your AS and engaging with supercurricular activities such as reading books, listening to podcasts, doing some research - but don't just tick box it! Keep a diary and reflect on what you've learnt from what you have done, it's not about quantity, it's about quality! Good luck though, the fact you're asking these questions and are keen is a good sign :smile:

@hungrysalamander
Thank you both sooo much I can't explain how much I appreciate it. You don't know how much weight you lifted off of my chest
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by AliceKS

Thank you!

@Zackkk1 you have been provided with amazing answers above by both @AliceKS and @hungrysalamander so so listen to them and if you've got anymore questions let us know!
Original post by SyedN
Thank you!

@Zackkk1 you have been provided with amazing answers above by both @AliceKS and @hungrysalamander so so listen to them and if you've got anymore questions let us know!

No problem! It's a great article and I want people to discover it so I try to direct them there as much as possible. At least you were speedy and did it quickly, I'm doing the UCAT one but I've been snowed under a bit with my UCAT, PS, EPQ and revision for upcoming mocks!
Reply 19
Original post by AliceKS
No problem! It's a great article and I want people to discover it so I try to direct them there as much as possible. At least you were speedy and did it quickly, I'm doing the UCAT one but I've been snowed under a bit with my UCAT, PS, EPQ and revision for upcoming mocks!

Thank you for directing people as much as possible! Hopefully people find it super useful and it will stop the Medicine Forum from getting cluttered by the same questions again!

Don't worry your first priority should be your own UCAT and prep for Med school, do it whenever you get time! :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending