The Student Room Group

I do not believe in true love.

Love seems temporary. It is in most cases.
I made a thread earlier about not believing in soulmates and there were some mixed opinions.

I think true love is this concept people have created to survive. As humans, we are social creatures and we create things like marriage, relationships, and love to improve the quality of our lives.

Partners are replaceable. You can be married to one person and if something happened to them, you move from one to the next.
I am sure you are not going to be with them in your afterlife, if that did exist cause then you would be with them for eternity. Wouldn't eternity with just one person suck?

Love changes, love disappears, and love increases in intensity but true love is a myth.
No relationship is perfect even when there's fighting, it was never perfect, to begin with. Or pure even.
They were in the infatuation/honeymoon phase and then that dies away as it does for most people.
Then it all depends on how highly compatible the two individuals are, how much effort you put into a relationship and if you want to stay faithful and loyal.
Most people fancy people outside their romantic relationships.
Some people cheat or lust for other better-looking/more interesting people.
Romantic love can be achieved with multiple people. You can be in love with more than one person at one time.
Unconditional love? I don't think anyone can love someone unconditionally no matter what.
Most people do not stay together for a lifetime and generally, the quality of the love and relationships does decrease over the years as other priorities come into your life.
"
Unfortunately, it is technically not true that true love never dies in a romantic love relationship. This is because death, divorce, and breakups are essentially the death of love, silencing the myth that “true love never dies.” True love eventually dies in some form or another."

Just a little rant.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I’m sure many people don’t believe in fairies but they aren’t making threads about it.
Reply 2
Original post by Little pecker
I’m sure many people don’t believe in fairies but they aren’t making threads about it.

They could. I wanted to rant.
i respect your dialgoue here but it's hard to deny something that is so worthy of our attention and belief

i recommend you continue this thought process into a painting or poetry because you clearly have a lot of creative energy here and it might help you understand yourself better.

lots of "love",

random internet guy

(it might be worth you considering the fact that if false love exist it necessitates the existence of true love)
Reply 4
You are right. Looks, social status and personality determine your success in relationships.
Reply 5
What is your point? These are all observations that most people make.
Reply 6
Original post by Inquistor24
i respect your dialgoue here but it's hard to deny something that is so worthy of our attention and belief

i recommend you continue this thought process into a painting or poetry because you clearly have a lot of creative energy here and it might help you understand yourself better.

lots of "love",

random internet guy

(it might be worth you considering the fact that if false love exist it necessitates the existence of true love)

But I have never seen true love before?
I do think false love exists either. I think love is there but it can never get to the point where it's this thing called true love.
I love to paint.
Lots of love :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by ważzer
What is your point? These are all observations that most people make.

I wanted to rant.
I think love is real but some people are naive or delusional to think true love is attainable and pure.
I get that love is this celebrated thing in our society and culture, it is mentioned in history books, ancient stories, movies, poems, songs, art, books etc.
It's intense in the honeymoon stage, there's passion and butterflies, but this does not last long at all. In fact, only lasts 2 years before things start to die down.
Reply 8

lots of "love",

random internet guy

Creative energy? Is this sarcasm.
Reply 9
Original post by 12115
I wanted to rant.
I think love is real but some people are naive or delusional to think true love is attainable and pure.
I get that love is this celebrated thing in our society and culture, it is mentioned in history books, ancient stories, movies, poems, songs, art, books etc.
It's intense in the honeymoon stage, there's passion and butterflies, but this does not last long at all. In fact, only lasts 2 years before things start to die down.

I understand you now.
The concept of true love was romanticised by society to deal with insecurities held by a significant portion of people.
Some people seek absolute safety and security, the idea of true love allows them to feel as if they won't ever be abandoned.
Some people seek control in their relationships, so even if they decide to break up, they feel as if they have the agency to make that decision.
As you get older more and more people come to these conclusions as they go through tough breakups of their own.
Realising the reality isn't a bad thing in the end though; it pushes you to put more effort in.
Original post by 12115
But I have never seen true love before?
I do think false love exists either. I think love is there but it can never get to the point where it's this thing called true love.
I love to paint.
Lots of love :smile:

i get your point, it requires faith, so the truth of it can never be known for sure. i think that's the price for it though. a sacrifice of knowledge, security, safety, success. It is not a small sacrifice that is needed to receive this gift and blessing of Agape love
idek about love anymore.
i want to believe in true love
but i can't.
there are so many relationships were i though true love existed but they didn't work out.
ig time will tell
Reply 12
Original post by ważzer
I understand you now.
The concept of true love was romanticised by society to deal with insecurities held by a significant portion of people.
Some people seek absolute safety and security, the idea of true love allows them to feel as if they won't ever be abandoned.
Some people seek control in their relationships, so even if they decide to break up, they feel as if they have the agency to make that decision.
As you get older more and more people come to these conclusions as they go through tough breakups of their own.
Realising the reality isn't a bad thing in the end though; it pushes you to put more effort in.

True, I now don't know what I want anymore.
Love seems so temporary. I know most people know this and still want it but I guess I am lazy. The effort, time, and energy that goes into it is a lot.
Also, people in a relationship apparently live longer and are happier. I guess it's better when children are involved but the concept of true pure love is hyped. Love is hyped too.
They should hype the honeymoon stage and show how dramatic this is compared to when it dies down.
I am only 20 and here I am writing out my frustrations.
I feel like love can make you vulnerable and when you try to seek safety and security, when something does go wrong or "isn't perfect" people get a slap to the face by the harsh reality of the situation.
I think control is not bad, since the chances of you feeling stepped on are smaller.
To be honest, I want love, I want unconditional love, and true love but it hurts knowing that does not exist.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by harlz_chalamet
idek about love anymore.
i want to believe in true love
but i can't.
there are so many relationships were i though true love existed but they didn't work out.
ig time will tell

Right!
Reply 14
i get your point, it requires faith, so the truth of it can never be known for sure. i think that's the price for it though. a sacrifice of knowledge, security, safety, success. It is not a small sacrifice that is needed to receive this gift and blessing of Agape love

A sacrifice for the experience.
Reply 15
Original post by 12115
To be honest, I want love, I want unconditional love, and true love but it hurts knowing that does not exist.

It is just the world we live in.... Men are shallow... I've never seen a man go for height or personality.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by w0man
It is just the world we live in.... If you are heartbroken.. Go for looks then. Just like men do. I've never seen a man go for height or personality.

This is a very unpopular opinion and I understand humans are animals, but men seem to be more primal then women. I guess we are all under the control of our evolutionary biology.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by 12115
This is a very unpopular opinion and I understand humans are animals, but men seem to be more primal then women. I guess we are all under the control of our evolutionary biology.

It is unpopular opinion. I do think men are quite selfish and don't fall in love as easier as women do. Men are too visual
Reply 18
Original post by w0man
It is unpopular opinion. I do think men are quite selfish and don't fall in love as easier as women do. Men are too visual

Especially, every time they date, the woman keeps getting younger than them. The age gap increases.
Reply 19
Original post by 12115
Especially, every time they date, the woman keeps getting younger than them. The age gap increases.

Certainly. All men care about is looks. They all want a pretty woman and ignore height or personality, they even want a girl who is much younger. Smh 🤦

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending