The Student Room Group

unsure about a level choices and need advice asap

for a levels, was considering english lit, sociology, and health and social care but i’m afraid it’s too soft of a choice and won’t get me far, esp when it comes to uni. advice pls??
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by erinmarie27
for a levels, was considering english lit, sociology, and health and social care but i’m afraid it’s too soft of a choice and won’t get me far, esp when it comes to uni. advice pls??

What do you mean, 'too soft'. You know that whole idea of 'facilitating subjects' was done away with years ago, don't you? We now have Informed Choices

W
hat do you want to study at uni?
Facilitating subjects are still pretty useful today tbh, I’d recommend you have at least one

Depending on what uni and what course
(edited 2 years ago)
I think your choices are really good. Most humanity courses don't require specific A Levels unless they're subject specific e.g. history or a language.English is a really good choice, and prioritising subjects you enjoy over what you think are good subjects is always better at A-Levels.Possibly consider History as a very well respected subject too
Any ideas of what you want to do? It'll be fine for some courses but not others.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by 06daraa
Facilitating subjects are still pretty useful today tbh, I’d recommended you have at least one

Why do you think you know better than the entire of the Russell Group of universities? :laugh:

Please don't post stuff like this when you don't have the information or experience to help the questioner - it helps no-one.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
Why do you think you know better than the entire of the Russell Group of universities? :laugh:

Please don't post stuff like this when you don't have the information or experience to help the questioner - it helps no-one.

Rather than arrogantly assuming I’m guessing, why not ask, this is just one example that unis still recommend facilitating subjects (at least one). This is from Clare college, Cambridge (2020) and other Russel groups like Durham and LSE have lists of preferred and non preferred subjects

https://www.clare.cam.ac.uk/subjectchoice-alevelchoice/

So don’t go keyboard warrior assuming I don’t know what I’m talking about
As I said, OP It depends on your course and what unis you’re aiming for
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by 06daraa
Rather than arrogantly assuming I’m guessing, why not ask, this is just one example that unis still recommend facilitating subjects (at least one). This is from Clare college, Cambridge (2020) and other Russel groups like Durham and LSE have lists of preferred and non preferred subjects

https://www.clare.cam.ac.uk/subjectchoice-alevelchoice/

So don’t go keyboard warrior assuming I don’t know what I’m talking about

What in earth are you talking about? Nowhere in that link from Clare does it mention 'facilitating subjects'! It talks about subjects which are more useful for some subjects. Why are you quoting a source which doesn't even support your argument?

I repeat - facilitating subjects does not exist. Not for Cambridge, Durham, LSE... anywhere. Facilitating subjects has been replaced by Informed Choices, which is a much more nuanced proposition.

Your post would be more credible if you could actually get your facts straight about the subject matter at hand. It would also be more credible if you could at least spell 'Russel' (sic). It's The Russell Group.
What in earth are you talking about? Nowhere in that link from Clare does it mention 'facilitating subjects'! It talks about subjects which are more useful for some subjects. Why are you quoting a source which doesn't even support your argument?

I repeat - facilitating subjects does not exist. Not for Cambridge, Durham, LSE... anywhere. Facilitating subjects has been replaced by Informed Choices, which is a much more nuanced proposition.

Your post would be more credible if you could actually get your facts straight about the subject matter at hand. It would also be more credible if you could at least spell 'Russel' (sic). It's The Russell Group.

You do you, let the OP make their decision
Original post by erinmarie27

You could apply to law with that.

Quick Reply

Latest