kkapo18
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Right so an update people:

Last Wednesday the hiring manager sent me an email saying it had taken a little longer to make decisions than he had planned and wanted to meet me up for lunch the next day (Thursday) he brought in a senior person with him on the lunch which all went well.

He left the lunch basically saying the “ball was in my court” to convince one other person I met with at second stage who mentioned some points that I needed to talk to.

I then literally the day after set up a call with him and he mentioned he actually didn’t have many reservations at all and that he was actually very impressed but we talked to some points around my cv which we thought could have been stronger displayed (visuals) he said on Friday morning he would report back to the hiring manager (told me and it all sounded like the final roadblock had been overcome)

This week I am yet to hear back anything. I’ve not been told no and I’ve not been told yes….the frustration is obviously they are interested but they also haven’t rejected me.

What are your thoughts everyone?
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by kkapo18)
Right so an update people:

Last Wednesday the hiring manager sent me an email saying it had taken a little longer to make decisions than he had planned and wanted to meet me up for lunch the next day (Thursday) he brought in a senior person with him on the lunch which all went well.

He left the lunch basically saying the “ball was in my court” to convince one other person I met with at second stage who mentioned some points that I needed to talk to.

I then literally the day after set up a call with him and he mentioned he actually didn’t have many reservations at all and that he was actually very impressed but we talked to some points around my cv which we thought could have been stronger displayed (visuals) he said on Friday morning he would report back to the hiring manager (told me and it all sounded like the final roadblock had been overcome)

This week I am yet to hear back anything. I’ve not been told no and I’ve not been told yes….the frustration is obviously they are interested but they also haven’t rejected me.

What are your thoughts everyone?
Leave it for another couple of weeks. Don't rush them. People seem to be taking a long time to hire nowadays.
kkapo18
Rep:
?
I won’t be badgering them of course but wouldn’t it be nice if they actually thought through timeframes when they know candidates have offers and final stages complete elsewhere!

I think it’s just more the fact they are showing a lot of interest without pulling the trigger which is the frustration
anonuser99
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I won’t be badgering them of course but wouldn’t it be nice if they actually thought through timeframes when they know candidates have offers and final stages complete elsewhere!

I think it’s just more the fact they are showing a lot of interest without pulling the trigger which is the frustration
Well if you end up with an exploding offer, all you'd have to do is tell them (that is if you want to work for them instead of the exploding offer).
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Same thing happening with my son, just sit tight for a bit
kkapo18
Rep:
?
At what point do you begin to think they are holding out for someone “more ideal”?
kkapo18
Rep:
?
Had another interview this week on Tuesday and Wednesday was the second round

I send a thank you note to the hiring manager and this was the response

Thanks….. glad you found the interview process a positive one

We are wrapping up the process this week with a view to putting preferred candidate to a final round with ….. next week.

Will aim to be in touch mon/tue

Thanks

What do you all make of the response ?
BenRyan99
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Had another interview this week on Tuesday and Wednesday was the second round

I send a thank you note to the hiring manager and this was the response

Thanks….. glad you found the interview process a positive one

We are wrapping up the process this week with a view to putting preferred candidate to a final round with ….. next week.

Will aim to be in touch mon/tue

Thanks

What do you all make of the response ?
I don't think there's anything to "make of it", it's just a typical standard response. If you really want to read into it then you could argue that they may have not responded if they didn't like you at all but this is reading into it too much imo

Personally I don't understand this whole 'interpret what their reply is really trying to say' sort of stuff. Just wait like everyone else does and chill out. Either you'll hear back or you won't, constantly thinking about it won't change anything.
Last edited by BenRyan99; 4 weeks ago
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
At what point do you begin to think they are holding out for someone “more ideal”?
They have the upper hand. They may be holding back because of COVID
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (304)
57.58%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (74)
14.02%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (59)
11.17%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (45)
8.52%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
4.92%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed