Turn on thread page Beta

can someone teach me game theory? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please teach me game theory or tell me a good place wher I can learn some basics of game theory? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by himurakenshin)
    Can someone please teach me game theory or tell me a good place wher I can learn some basics of game theory? Thanks
    Get the Heinemann D2 text, and work through the Game Theory chapter. It only covers two-person zero-sum games, but it's the place to start.

Aitch

ReputationRep:
    you and a friend are arrested for suspected robbery.
    they seperate you before you can communicate.

if you don't confess and your friend doesn't, then you will both walk free.
    if you don't confess but your friend does, he gets a reward and you get a long time in prison
    if you confess but he doesn't, you get the reward and he gets a long time in prison.
    if both of you confess, you will get short terms in prison.

do you confess?

it shows the interdependance of two apparently isolates things - you and your friend who cannot communicate can still reach a mutually beneficial decision by considering future outcomes.

this is similar in economics, with firms. competing firms will reluctantly engage in price competition because they know they will both lose out in profits. so even if they don't communicate (which is illegal price fixing), prices still remain high.

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_theory
    Excellent resource in regards to Game Theory there mate.

Also, as given as an example by mik1w.. found the Prisoners Dilemma also on wikipedia..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner%27s_dilemma

MdSalih

ReputationRep:
    the wikipidia site has a great section on it, interesting read!

ReputationRep:
    first of this is a quote from wikipedia:

In games of complete information each player has the same game-relevant information as every other player. Chess and the prisoner's dilemma exemplify complete-information games
    How is pd a complete-information game ? One prisoner doesn't know what the other prisoner will do.

John von Neumann had the fundamental and surprising insight that probability provides a way out of this conundrum. Instead of deciding on a definite action to take, the two players assign probabilities to their respective actions, and then use a random device which, according to these probabilities, chooses an action for them. Each player computes the probabilities so as to minimise the maximum expected point-loss independent of the opponent's strategy; this leads to a linear programming problem with a unique solution for each player. This minimax method can compute provably optimal strategies for all two-player zero-sum games.

For the example given above, it turns out that the first player should choose action 1 with probability 57% and action 2 with 43%, while the second player should assign the probabilities 0%, 57% and 43% to the three actions A, B and C. Player one will then win 2.85 points on average per game.
    how is this calculated?

thanks for the help and I would also appreciate some information on applications of the PD. I understand pd but i don't really get twhat this has to do with anything.

thanks alot once again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by himurakenshin)
    first of this is a quote from wikipedia:

How is pd a complete-information game ? One prisoner doesn't know what the other prisoner will do.

how is this calculated?

thanks for the help and I would also appreciate some information on applications of the PD. I understand pd but i don't really get twhat this has to do with anything.

thanks alot once again.
    I still think get the Heinemann D2 text, and work through the Game Theory chapter!

Incidentally, the default position is (unless you are told otherwise) that each player knows all of the conditions and decisions of the game. This is often not very realistic!

Aitch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aitch)
    I still think get the Heinemann D2 text, and work through the Game Theory chapter!

Incidentally, the default position is (unless you are told otherwise) that each player knows all of the conditions and decisions of the game. This is often not very realistic!

Aitch
    I would like to get the d2 text, except I am preparing for something which I have to do on wednesday

So does anybody know how to calculate minimax probabilities ?
    also I would like to know some applications of game theory. especially applications of the prisoner's dillema

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 18, 2005

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.